Police #2: Burning down the house

Fragile Bird

24 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

There’s tweets from a council member these are based on, the bald white guy one whose name I forget

Good to hear!  I noticed that too after my own search on Google!

4 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

https://alphanewsmn.com/minneapolis-city-council/

the Minneapolis City Council is looking in to scrapping the entire MPD and starting over. I would be elated at this.

I would love to see if that would make a meaningful change to the culture of a large police force.  Because it’s really disheartening how little has changed over the years.  Citizen review boards, body cams, etc are not scratching the surface.  Police develop the mindset of an occupation force, they act with impunity and prize loyalty over integrity, they attract (and select for?) fascistic types, they are protected by prosecutors, unions, judges and politicians.  They’re also a bastion of low-educated white working class male jobs, with all of the political connotations.  Self-interested institutions like that are very hard to change.

I’d like to believe there are plenty of honorable and well intentioned police officers, but the damage from them enabling bad actors is unconscionable.  The damage is every bit as bad as caused cynical looters and anarchist rioters hiding behind genuine protesters.

Gun-toting members of the Boogaloo movement are showing up at protests

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/03/us/boogaloo-extremist-protests-invs/index.html

Benjamin Ryan Teeter was at his home in Hampstead, N.C., when the call to action came. It was an alert from the heart of the raging protests in Minneapolis, posted on an online forum by a fellow member of the Boogaloo movement, a loosely knit group of heavily armed, anti-government extremists.

The "alert" was from a man who had a run-in with the Minneapolis police while on the frontline of the police-brutality protests set off by the death of George Floyd.
"He caught mace to the face," said Teeter, and "put out a national notice to our network."

After Teeter -- who goes by Ryan -- said he saw the online posting, he and a handful of other Boogaloo friends in the area mobilized.
They grabbed their guns -- mostly assault rifles -- hopped into their vehicles, and made the 18-hour trek to Minneapolis.

55 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I would love to see if that would make a meaningful change to the culture of a large police force.  Because it’s really disheartening how little has changed over the years.  Citizen review boards, body cams, etc are not scratching the surface.  Police develop the mindset of an occupation force, they act with impunity and prize loyalty over integrity, they attract (and select for?) fascistic types, they are protected by prosecutors, unions, judges and politicians.  They’re also a bastion of low-educated white working class male jobs, with all of the political connotations.  Self-interested institutions like that are very hard to change.

I’d like to believe there are plenty of honorable and well intentioned police officers, but the damage from them enabling bad actors is unconscionable.  The damage is every bit as bad as caused cynical looters and anarchist rioters hiding behind genuine protesters.

The current and previous police chief attempted to enact reforms, but it was either taken to arbitration by the union and over turned or the police licensing body declined to move forward.  If there is to be change, that is where to look.

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

They can 99% of the time have their duties handled by social workers. 

Of course there's been no meaningful change, when something and happens and they get called to task, our elected officials give them the most minor of new checks, usually mostly self-policed, and lay on thick the the rhetoric about how it's a tough job and they out their lives on the line.  There have been more dangerous jobs the entire time, and now during Covid, your average grocery clerk has a better chance of staring down death on the job than a cop.

This isn't a situation to erase a few bad marks and wipe off the residue.  Some corruption begs not the cloth, but the knife.

Cops in California shot and killed a "looter" because they said he had a hammer in his waistband and they thought it was a gun.

4 hours ago, Guy Kilmore said:

The current and previous police chief attempted to enact reforms, but it was either taken to arbitration by the union and over turned or the police licensing body declined to move forward.  If there is to be change, that is where to look.

The current police chief also spent the past week firing tear gas, rubber bullets, and marker rounds on peaceful protestors and journalists so I’m pretty sure chief Rondo can go fuck himself too.

1 hour ago, Fury Resurrected said:

The current police chief also spent the past week firing tear gas, rubber bullets, and marker rounds on peaceful protestors and journalists so I’m pretty sure chief Rondo can go fuck himself too.

There is a horrendous problem with police in America, agreed.

On 6/2/2020 at 1:26 PM, Week said:

Was there earlier and follow a lot of folks there at the time. This video is inaccurate - cops were removing a broken windshield in order to drive.

That said - the violence and unrest on Sunday WAS choreographed and started by police. Blocking mass transit exits (Park St, DTX, etc.), boxing in protestors, and then gas/spray/vehicles on protestors.

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying.

13 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

They can 99% of the time have their duties handled by social workers. 

Of course there's been no meaningful change, when something and happens and they get called to task, our elected officials give them the most minor of new checks, usually mostly self-policed, and lay on thick the the rhetoric about how it's a tough job and they out their lives on the line.  There have been more dangerous jobs the entire time, and now during Covid, your average grocery clerk has a better chance of staring down death on the job than a cop.

This isn't a situation to erase a few bad marks and wipe off the residue.  Some corruption begs not the cloth, but the knife.

40% would be my best guess. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-myth-of-systemic-police-racism-11591119883

Hope the link works, as this is the only website or social media I ever post on and I am not real sophisticated at it.  However, recent events have led to me watching more news, and in turn, doing more research.  The research doesn’t seem to back what people are saying.  Whether it’s Brees, Kavanaugh, Biden, or Trump; there seems to be a great amount of hypocrisy at work.  

20 minutes ago, King Ned Stark said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-myth-of-systemic-police-racism-11591119883

Hope the link works, as this is the only website or social media I ever post on and I am not real sophisticated at it.  However, recent events have led to me watching more news, and in turn, doing more research.  The research doesn’t seem to back what people are saying.  Whether it’s Brees, Kavanaugh, Biden, or Trump; there seems to be a great amount of hypocrisy at work.  

I'm sorry, but that article is absolute dreck, even for an opinion article. It only provides citations for a very few of it's assertions of statistical evidence to support the article, the studies it does link to have extremely narrow scopes, and the article itself focuses solely on shooting of citizens by police, neglecting entirely that people are often killed by police without the use of firearms (see Floyd, George), or that police brutality and/or harrassment can occur without death or serious bodily injury.

Finally, while the article pays lip service to the belief that bad actors should be held accountable, it completely dodges addressing the fact that police are not now, nor have they ever been, held accountable for their bad actions, which is the whole fucking reason people are out in the streets.

I don’t know what news sources are acceptable; not sure who does.  I do watch looting live and see people say it’s peaceful.  Maybe that author is biased, is anyone in this thread any different?  That article gave statistics, from sources that to me to be left leaning.  Is this a case of agree with me or you will be bullied.  That’s not gonna work.  It just won’t. 
Defunding police will not have the desired effect.  It’s nonsense.

6 minutes ago, King Ned Stark said:

I don’t know what news sources are acceptable; not sure who does.  I do watch looting live and see people say it’s peaceful.  Maybe that author is biased, is anyone in this thread any different?  That article gave statistics, from sources that to me to be left leaning.  Is this a case of agree with me or you will be bullied.  That’s not gonna work.  It just won’t. 
Defunding police will not have the desired effect.  It’s nonsense.

Look, I did you a favor and addressed the article on the merits; I didn't call into question the publication that you drew from, nor attack the author. I'd kindly ask you to do the same. I'm not going to bother delving deep into the studies referenced by the article because they aren't germane to my objections, other than that the scopes of the referenced studies are very narrowly tailored.

The author states that there is not systemic racial bias in the U.S. law enforcement system, but only focuses on one specific statistic (officer involved shootings that resulted in fatalities) over a very limited time frame (since 2015),  but completely neglects disparities in profiling, contact with LEOs, excessive force that doesn't result in fatalities, sentencing disparities, etc. Basically, she doesn't get to make sweeping statements about racial bias not being systemic in law enforcement while focusing on the narrowest possible definition of police brutality.

Archived