Police #2: Burning down the house

Fragile Bird

53 minutes ago, King Ned Stark said:

I don’t know what news sources are acceptable; not sure who does.  I do watch looting live and see people say it’s peaceful.  Maybe that author is biased, is anyone in this thread any different?  That article gave statistics, from sources that to me to be left leaning.  Is this a case of agree with me or you will be bullied.  That’s not gonna work.  It just won’t. 
Defunding police will not have the desired effect.  It’s nonsense.

Who, here, is claiming looting and looters are the same as peaceful demonstrators?

6 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Who, here, is claiming looting and looters are the same as peaceful demonstrators?

I'm running into this same problem with a handful of Gish-galloping assholes in my town FB group. Constant conflation of protesters with "looters, vandals, terrorists, anarchists" -- whatever they dream about when they stroke their guns in the night.

Not one of these stupid life-on-easy-mode motherfuckers can string together two coherent thoughts. Just pulling randomly from a list of grievances for mediocre white chuds.

5 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'm running into this same problem with a handful of Gish-galloping assholes in my town FB group. Constant conflation of protesters with "looters, vandals, terrorists, anarchists" -- whatever they dream about when they stroke their guns in the night.

Not one of these stupid life-on-easy-mode motherfuckers can string together two coherent thoughts. Just pulling randomly from a list of grievances for mediocre white chuds.

I'm arguing with my Mother who keeps making the same conflation.  It's driving me mad.  At least my Dad admits Trump's actions regarding these protests are indefensible.

I mean, I feel like everyone oversimplifies it. There are SO MANY different things going on at once. There are peaceful protestors who are not doing anything but chants and holding signs. This is the largest group. There are people destroying property as their form of protest (the 3rd precinct didn’t burn because of outside agitators, it burned because the people decided to take action against the power structure responsible for the Floyd killing and for the solid days of police brutality before that happened). There are instigators, people here just to wreck shit or to undermine the message of protestors. Nobody knows whether there are more of these or of people using destruction of property as a protest tactic. There are white supremacists, some of them are agitators, and some of them are threatening people with black lives matter signs at their homes and planting plateless cars to blow up. Nobody know how many of these there are, private citizens appear to be hiding them. And there are the cops- committing mass violence with less lethal projectiles and physical beatings, who are causing most of the damage to human bodies. Destruction of property by agitators and troublemakers does not and should not make us ignore that for some it is a real and effective form of protest (and I don’t think Minneapolis would be seeing the changes it is without it). The existence of destruction of property as protest doesn’t make the agitators a hoax. They are both active pieces of this puzzle and I think putting too much emphasis on one or the other is unhelpful.

Also, it’s 100% NOT anarchists doing that shit. This is the anarchists’ moment of self governance, to demonstrate their ideals. If you’re looking for the anarchists they are here, but they’re putting up medic stations and food donations and block watches.

2 hours ago, Kalbear said:

You're right, @King Ned Stark - police randomly target old white men and push them down and cause head injuries too!

(note also this would ALSO not be listed in the above stats)

Suspend both officers? 

How about every single one that didn't care to, ya know, protect and serve. 

It needs to be a national scandal that we hire mediocre candidates, with no training beforehand, as our fucking officers. 

43 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Cuomo's tweeting about that video already.  Sounds like they're suspended and will be investigated.  

But maybe Cuomo and Biden are neoliberal and we should re-elect Trump (sorry).

I mean the real problems of your country are systemic, biden and cuomo are part of the problem,  they are better than trump, yes, but part of the same structure. 

51 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Suspend both officers? 

It needs to be a national scandal that we hire mediocre candidates, with no training beforehand, as our fucking officers. 

It's not even like they get paid peanuts, NYC officer after 5 years earns 85 fucking grand.  WTF?

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Suspend both officers? 

The real scandal to me is that the buffalo police described this as a person was hurt when he tripped and fell.

The police using the same language to describe violence as prisoners routinely do WHEN THERE IS VIDEO FUCKING EVIDENCE is particularly ballsy. 

4 hours ago, Kalbear said:

The real scandal to me is that the buffalo police described this as a person was hurt when he tripped and fell.

The police using the same language to describe violence as prisoners routinely do WHEN THERE IS VIDEO FUCKING EVIDENCE is particularly ballsy. 

Sounds like they’re going for black tongue lies and assume at trial foundational requirements will keep the video out if evidence.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Sounds like they’re going for black tongue lies and assume at trial foundational requirements will keep the video out if evidence.

Unless the jury is entirely made up of, like, Branch Davidians, everyone's gonna be aware of the tape.  That's like saying the OJ jury acquitted him because they didn't see the Bronco chase.

8 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Destruction of property by agitators and troublemakers does not and should not make us ignore that for some it is a real and effective form of protest (and I don’t think Minneapolis would be seeing the changes it is without it)

While I liked and agreed with the rest of your post (for there is a tendency to view protesters as a unified and cohesive group) - I had to pause at this sentence. It's effective at what exactly? Sabotaging the legitimately just cause of protests? Giving Trump and his cronies ammunition to use against protests as a whole? There is no logical connection whatsoever between what looters/agitators/troublemakers do and what they claim to believe. How does looting a grocery store or vandalizing a restaurant help George Floyd or black people in general? How does it move America to be a less racist country? How does it punish the guilty? How is it just, useful or righteous in any way, shape or form?

The way I see it, they are ordinary pitiful cowards. They're either unable or afraid to tackle the actual culprits (4 officers in question or police department in general) so instead they're directing their rage towards innocent shop owners who are not in the position to fight back. They're not heroes who bring change, they're lite version of war criminals, and should be condemned both morally and legally. And from what I hear (though you're way better informed than I am, so correct me if I'm wrong), part of the protesters are doing just that - trying to stop the looting and property damage.

5 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Well he did trip and fall, after being attacked. 

Sorry BFC, but cops tend to behave like really abusive boyfriends.....

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Well he did trip and fall, after being attacked. 

Sorry BFC, but cops tend to behave like really abusive boyfriends.....

We watched this in the office today. There was a lot of embarrassment, and shame. Also concern, this shit makes it harder and more dangerous or us.

It's the fucking shit lies that gets me. I always tell my staff, If you punch someone in the face 15 times, say so. If you just cleared an area and made it sterile, and someone was trying to go past your cordon and you pushed him too hard, and he fell, and fucked his head, admit it. The cover up is almost always worse than the crime.  

31 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

We watched this in the office today. There was a lot of embarrassment, and shame. Also concern, this shit makes it harder and more dangerous or us.

It's the fucking shit lies that gets me. I always tell my staff, If you punch someone in the face 15 times, say so. If you just cleared an area and made it sterile, and someone was trying to go past your cordon and you pushed him too hard, and he fell, and fucked his head, admit it. The cover up is almost always worse than the crime.  

You're the exception then. Snitches get stitches is just as true in the police force as it is in gangs.

And police get even more leniency here because they do have a legitimate fear that anyone they encounter could have a gun. 

Archived