Football: You Can't Handball The Truth

polishgenius

4 minutes ago, Raja said:

I dunno what world you live in when you read consigliere's comments as 'being jealous we got a good deal'

It’s not meant as attack.  Selling one of your own prized young players is a wrench.  United have a player pretty similar to Brewster.  They could sell him for a similar or better deal, but I doubt they want to.  Neither do Chelsea want to sell Abraham.

The Brewster deal is a good one for Liverpool, but not so good that United or Chelsea will want to hear offers for their similar players. 

I get that Brewster is a guy people wanted to see more of and has high potential etc, but let's be fair for all sorts of reasons selling him isn't in the same galaxy as selling either Greenwood or Abraham would be. Both of them are first-teamers in teams that made the top 4 last season, and while Abraham's dropped to second choice and Greenwood probably will if we get a winger, they'll both still have far more importance to the squad than Brewster would at any time in the near future. They're both more proven and more needed and Mason Greenwood at least is also seen, in general, as having a fair bit higher ceiling, what with his finishing skills.

Soylent's right though, the reason he's expensive is out-and-out strikers, especially goalscorers, of any serious provenance are rare as hen's teeth right now and Sheffield United need one desperately.  It's actually quite a weird situation - which adds to the prices for him and Watkins- because right now quite a lot of teams do have a good goalscorer, all of a sudden as of last season, but none of them are going anywhere for less than princely sums and therefore the likes of Sheffield United and Villa have to take gambles just to hope to keep up.

Greenwood has a higher ceiling, but he's also much much less available. Abraham too, there's no way Chelsea would let him go anywhere. Everyone wants to be a wide forward these days. Strikers are dweebs.

With Minamino and now Jota, we have decent backup for our front three. I'd prefer if we kept Shaqiri too, but I'm not sure that will happen.

16 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Greenwood has a higher ceiling, but he's also much much less available. Abraham too, there's no way Chelsea would let him go anywhere.

Well that's the point really. Isk suggested Liverpool letting Brewster go is a comparable situation to those two leaving.

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

It seems a bit on the expensive side, but then what other strikers are available at the moment?

And I'd much rather have Brewster than Origi in our squad.

I imagine Origi wasn’t getting much attention in the market. Hasn’t exactly done much since that great run of games in 18/19. 

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Soylent's right though, the reason he's expensive is out-and-out strikers, especially goalscorers, of any serious provenance are rare as hen's teeth right now and Sheffield United need one desperately.  It's actually quite a weird situation - which adds to the prices for him and Watkins- because right now quite a lot of teams do have a good goalscorer, all of a sudden as of last season, but none of them are going anywhere for less than princely sums and therefore the likes of Sheffield United and Villa have to take gambles just to hope to keep up.

I think what makes it a not so great deal for SU is the buyback (unless of course it's set at a high amount which seems unlikely). Brewster has potential and there's a better than average chance that he does quite well. In this market + being English, an eye catching breakout season could command a price tag of £60m or more (most likely more) but I doubt the buyback is more than 35-40 million. A first refusal would have been much better but Sheffield United were really desperate for a CF. They will probably be hoping that he does well but not so well that Liverpool would want to trigger the buyback - I believe the clause is active for three years.

4 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

That’s a big loss.  I hope Jota plays a blinder in his place.  At least Mane won’t be traveling for international friendlies now.

I (maybe others too) always assume that healthy young athletes like these footballers will have only a mild case and then recover quickly, so it’s only their quarantine absence that really matters.  But that’s pretty presumptuous of me.  So I should say it explicitly: I hope they all avoid serious illness and recover their full health very quickly. 

Yes, the government should be helping lower league clubs. PL clubs should still be okay even if fans are not allowed in stadiums (or if there is a restriction on capacity) for a while yet. Lower league clubs are the ones that rely massively on match day revenue so the government should make a bail out package available to prevent loads of clubs from going into administration. 

Really the whole league eco system is a mess. The premier league should by rights be forking out to help the lower league clubs during a time like this. Of course they can’t and won’t do that because they leverage themselves up to the hilt to compete. 

I don’t see it as a government responsibility, football should be looking after itself 

9 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I don’t see it as a government responsibility, football should be looking after itself 

Governments have to prop up various industries all the time, and long term it can be very important for their viability.

Also, suck it, 4-0 for the heroes in Blue! 

Archived