US Politics: Veni, Vidi, Virus

Nothing, you should only start worrying, when commandante DMC (Di Guevara if you will) starts telling Americans to arm themselves that things are going to be itneresting.

Thinking about it, Ché got this nickname, due to his accent and him pronouncing the word que as che. Does comrade DMC by any chance pronounce the like in The Atlantic as Dee /di:/ ?

4 hours ago, DMC said:

And you've provided no reasoning for how this gets Trump those "arrests."  Which, btw, is absurd in the first place.  He doesn't actually want Barr to prosecute, let alone arrest, Hillary or Obama or Biden or whomever.  He's just saying it because that's the same exact fucking thing he did exactly four years ago and it worked.  Acting like this is Trump using mind games to get Barr to comply is incredibly naive and comically affords Trump way too much credit in his ability to somehow manipulate Barr with requesting a damn resignation letter.  And presenting that as some Machiavellian strategy that Trump or the GOP does better then the Dems is ludicrous.

While I generally agree with your argument, I want to play devil's advocate with the two bloded statements. First, I don't think he actually knows what he wants Barr to do. He bounces between thoughts so quickly, hence there's no real plan. But I can see a scenario in which he decides he really does want to try to arrest them, especially if he gets egged on to do so by Faux.

Second, no, Trump is not playing some three dimensional chess by using mind games to get what he wants. He just annoys the shit out of people until they do what he wants, or at least they'll tell him they will do something. Dumbass probably forgets an hour later anyways. 

Just now, Fragile Bird said:

With regard to that article about McEntee, they used a phrase that I keep seeing more and more. They called him a “Trump body man”.

What the heck is a body man?

2 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Ok, but I’ve seen so many people described as a Trump body man, how many does the orange one need?

There's a Wikipedia entry for presidential body men/women, for some reason, and that one lists three: McEntee, who was succeeded by Karem after he was fired for a time (gambling debts and other issues led to his not being able to obtain a security clearance), who then was succeeded by Nick Luna (who's one of the WH staff who have tested positive for COVID-19). McEntee returned earlier this year and now shares the "body man" duties with Luna.

I think the term is being used much more widely now. I do believe that, among others, I saw Barr called a body man, and Pompeo too.

In other news, did anyone mention the fact that a judge overturned Abbott’s “one drop box per county” rule? The lawyers for Texas made the argument Abbott has pushed, that it was done for reasons of vote security, to prevent voter fraud. The judge apparently kept asking for proof of voter fraud. Evidence, please!

30 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

With regard to that article about McEntee, they used a phrase that I keep seeing more and more. They called him a “Trump body man”.

What the heck is a body man?

A body man, simply put, is the worst fucking job in the world. Unless you enjoy 18 hour days on salary (normally a low salary) and every mistake IS ENTIRELY YOUR FUCKING FAULT!!!!!!!

Trump Promised A Break With GOP Trickle-Down Economics. He Delivered More Of The Same.
The president is paying a political price for pursuing conventional Republican economic policies.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald-trump-trickle-down-economics-populism_n_5f80a0c6c5b6e6d033a1edc5

“During the campaign, his willingness to criticize a lot of neoliberal approaches was something I found very refreshing,” said Julius Krein, founder of the conservative magazine American Affairs and an early intellectual cheerleader for Trump who became an outspoken critic during the first year of his presidency. “As president, there has been a lot more conventional Republican, market fundamentalist policy.”

Within a year, voters had taken notice, characterizing him in polling as far more conservative than they’d thought when he was a candidate. 

Trump can thank his inability or unwillingness to challenge traditional Republican ideology for his consistent polling deficit against Democratic nominee Joe Biden during this year’s election cycle, according to Saagar Enjeti, co-author of “The Populist’s Guide to 2020: A New Right and New Left Are Rising.”

Enjeti ― who, like Krein, identifies as a right-wing populist ― believes that pro-corporate, trickle-down economics has been an especially tough sell amid the destruction caused by the coronavirus pandemic and the economic recession that has come with it.

“Trump became a real Republican at the very worst time ― a time when Republican orthodoxy could not be less wanted by the American people,” Enjeti said. “That is why you see such devastation in terms of his public support ― even among people who supported him last time.”

13 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Couldn't care less about Trump at this point as far as voting goes (though he needs to go), the prevailing 10 or so years prior have proven that Jesus himself could come back to Earth and run for President as a Republican and I'll absolutely still vote for the other candidate...

I mean...if Jesus came back as a Republican, we could safely assume we were dealing with a changeling as the Republican party is the antithesis of what he believed. Well, I guess he'd probably be more pro-life than pro-choice, but then again, he might also be capable of understanding nuance as he often demonstrated in the New Testament. Yes, in your scenario, I would have to assume Jesus' likeness had been stolen. The question would be, could we still rescue him? Is this a changeling in the classic folklore sense who kidnaps the original but doesn't necessarily kill them, or like a Terry Brooks changeling that murders everyone it copies. Maybe a cooler analogy would be the Robert Patrick liquid metal terminator. Yeah, forget the Brooks thing. 

Harry Enten underscoring the earlier message that Joe Biden is good at politics and we are not, diving into some of the numbers. His favorables are 20 points higher than Clinton's and he's avoided making waves, staying out of his own way and out of Trump's, letting him hang himself with his own noose.

3.5 weeks to go...

15 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

I mean...if Jesus came back as a Republican, we could safely assume we were dealing with a changeling as the Republican party is the antithesis of what he believed. Well, I guess he'd probably be more pro-life than pro-choice, but then again, he might also be capable of understanding nuance as he often demonstrated in the New Testament. Yes, in your scenario, I would have to assume Jesus' likeness had been stolen. The question would be, could we still rescue him? Is this a changeling in the classic folklore sense who kidnaps the original but doesn't necessarily kill them, or like a Terry Brooks changeling that murders everyone it copies. Maybe a cooler analogy would be the Robert Patrick liquid metal terminator. Yeah, forget the Brooks thing. 

Pick anyone then...Betty White, Teddy Roosevelt, Obama... whomever.  If the candidate has that "R" next to their name, that candidate will never see my vote.  

31 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Pick anyone then...Betty White, Teddy Roosevelt, Obama... whomever.  If the candidate has that "R" next to their name, that candidate will never see my vote.  

I took your point, and I agree 100 percent. To identify with that party in any way, until they do some serious reformation (which won't happen) is unforgiveable. 

35 minutes ago, Ran said:

Harry Enten underscoring the earlier message that Joe Biden is good at politics and we are not, diving into some of the numbers. His favorables are 20 points higher than Clinton's and he's avoided making waves, staying out of his own way and out of Trump's, letting him hang himself with his own noose.

3.5 weeks to go...

Hell, at this point, if it works, then it works. I think canceling the debates is the right move.

Have y'all been paying attention to the NYT's Trump tax stories the past couple of days? They're using him like a goddamn piñata and it's getting lost in the noise.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

A body man, simply put, is the worst fucking job in the world. Unless you enjoy 18 hour days on salary (normally a low salary) and every mistake IS ENTIRELY YOUR FUCKING FAULT!!!!!!!

Yeah but you get to sleep with the president's daughter.

Archived