NFL 2020: Stop the Steel(ers)

Maithanet

7 minutes ago, briantw said:

I'm a big fan of his platform of whooping ass but somewhat dubious of the raising hell portion. 

As an Independent, Stone Cold Steve Austin has a long documented record of working with both and against the Heel and Babyface parties when the time called. 

2 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Oddly no, no professional wrestler has ever won one.

OTOH, Trump is a member of the WWE Hall of Fame.

2 hours ago, briantw said:

I'm a big fan of his platform of whooping ass but somewhat dubious of the raising hell portion. 

Most importantly, he's the only one who knows how to actually debate Trump:

3 hours ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

Robert Saleh new Jets head coach!!

Rex Ryan 2.0 minus the weird foot fetish hopefully. Yes I am a Jets fan :(

I wouldn't be too down. The Niners were a bottom three D and he turned them around quickly into an elite unit. And more importantly, his players love him. Never heard any say about word about him. Like all defensive coaches he needs to get a great mind at OC, but that shouldn't that hard.

What you should be more worried about is it sounds like the Jets still think Darnold could be the guy.

There's who I'd like to advance and who will actually advance and I realize in sports these are often two different things.

With that in mind here's who I will be rooting for to advance in this wkends matchups.

Green Bay over L.A.

Cleveland over K.C.

Tampa Bay over Saints

Baltimore over Bills

On 1/15/2021 at 2:37 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Like all defensive coaches he needs to get a great mind at OC, but that shouldn't that hard.

He's bringing Mike (brother of Matt) LaFleur with him.  He was the Niners' "passing game coordinator," but essentially the OC as Shanahan didn't have an OC.  Somewhat ironically, it appears they will now as they're set to promote running game coordinator Mike McDaniel to OC.  Probably out of fear of losing him too.

I'm happy Saleh finally got a job - really this year was a gift.  Surprised he chose the Jets.  Good luck!  I did not know the Niners got a third round comp pick for the Jets hiring him.  Thanks Saleh!

It is looking possible that Eric Bienamy (Chiefs oc) is going to get passed over for a head coaching job again.  Which is just shameful.  I know that the nfl is an old (white) boys club, but this is just ridiculous.

Wild Sports Illustrated story about the creeping and apparently tenacious influence of Jack Easterby on the Texans, who seems to be working the Rasputin playbook.

The Monday after the season ended, Watson took off for a vacation in Mexico to think about his future. What he didn’t know was that a plan was already underway—one that was not born out of his input or that of multiple high-ranking team executives, prominent consultants or the search firm McNair had paid handsomely to choose the team’s new leaders.

Rather, the person accompanying McNair on a flight out of town Monday morning was the one the owner had asserted would not be part of the team’s search committee, and whose future he said would be decided by the next GM: Easterby. They were en route to pick up the man Easterby had suggested to a Texans employee the previous week that Houston would hire as GM, Patriots personnel executive Nick Caserio. Watson, along with the rest of the world, learned of this news on social media Tuesday night. Dismayed, he decided to ponder his future poolside rather than check in with team brass.

Meanwhile, an incensed fan base was coming to terms with the fact that the embattled executive who played a major role in fueling the Texans’ current state of disarray appeared to have wedged his way into the owner’s plans. But based on his actions in the past week, according to some at team headquarters, Easterby seemed to be scrambling—and ultimately succeeding—to hold onto his role in Houston. And those working and playing for the reeling franchise are left to worry about their futures with the team, as well as wonder whether an end to the chaos will ever come into sight.

A former team chaplain turned “character coach” in New England and now Houston’s executive VP of football operations, Easterby had made a habit of asking coworkers to take his hand and pray for wisdom when making workplace decisions. He often did so with people who reported to him; some felt they had no choice but to oblige, even if this made them uncomfortable. McNair, though, strongly identifies with Easterby’s Christian faith. The two were among the last people to leave NRG Stadium the night of the season-ending loss. And, according to multiple members of the organization, with the biggest decision for the franchise’s future looming—who would lead the team moving forward—word spread throughout the building that Easterby and McNair prayed for enlightenment.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/16/texans-chaos-deshaun-watson-unhappy-how-jack-easterby-kept-his-job

38 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

It is looking possible that Eric Bienamy (Chiefs oc) is going to get passed over for a head coaching job again.  Which is just shameful.  I know that the nfl is an old (white) boys club, but this is just ridiculous.

It isn't over yet, but also, maybe he wants an actual good coaching job, where he is set up to succeed, and not fail.  Why go to a dumpster fire org. like Jags, Jets or Texans, when he can wait another year and maybe have another ring. 

41 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Wild Sports Illustrated story about the creeping and apparently tenacious influence of Jack Easterby on the Texans, who seems to be working the Rasputin playbook.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/16/texans-chaos-deshaun-watson-unhappy-how-jack-easterby-kept-his-job

A religious leader wanting to consolidate power? Why I never...

(Serious, wtf, how has this guy risen so far beyond what he was brought in to do?)

5 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

It isn't over yet, but also, maybe he wants an actual good coaching job, where he is set up to succeed, and not fail.  Why go to a dumpster fire org. like Jags, Jets or Texans, when he can wait another year and maybe have another ring. 

Nah. He interviewed with the Bengals (before they got Burrow). I think he’d jump on the first offer at this point. Why one hasn’t come yet is another matter...

58 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I mean, that Jags position seems pretty ideal.  You get Lawrence, another first, two seconds, and you've already got Chark, Shenault, and James Robinson.  You're set up to succeed offensively right out of the gate.  

36 minutes ago, briantw said:

I mean, that Jags position seems pretty ideal.  You get Lawrence, another first, two seconds, and you've already got Chark, Shenault, and James Robinson.  You're set up to succeed offensively right out of the gate.  

I guess we'll see, I expect that Urban Meyer is going to end his NFL career like Nick Saban, but I might be wrong.  I hadn't paid attention to the draft picks that closely this year. The Eagles are interviewing him and that might be a good fit. 

35 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I guess we'll see, I expect that Urban Meyer is going to end his NFL career like Nick Saban, but I might be wrong.  I hadn't paid attention to the draft picks that closely this year. The Eagles are interviewing him and that might be a good fit. 

I'm definitely dubious about Meyer.  It's hard to say how good a coach he is versus how good a recruiter.  

But he's definitely stepping into a nice spot offensively and is set up to succeed right away if he's the real deal.

54 minutes ago, briantw said:

I'm definitely dubious about Meyer.  It's hard to say how good a coach he is versus how good a recruiter.  

His records at Bowling Green and Utah indicate he knows how to coach, and at Florida and Ohio State he can win titles with talent. 

36 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

His records at Bowling Green and Utah indicate he knows how to coach, and at Florida and Ohio State he can win titles with talent. 

Sure he knows how to coach, but how good of a coach will he be w/out a huge built in talent advantage, how will he do w/salary cap.....

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

As someone who went to Bowling Green the year after Meyer left, we had a dog shit coach after him and still coasted to MAC championship games based on how good Meyer's recruits were.  

So I'm still not sure.

6 hours ago, briantw said:

But he's definitely stepping into a nice spot offensively and is set up to succeed right away if he's the real deal.

Right. Pete Carroll actually turned out well in Seattle but even though the official college salary cap is zero, there are definite advantages to bending the rules that are orthogonal to in game coaching decisions.

13 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Sure he knows how to coach, but how good of a coach will he be w/out a huge built in talent advantage, how will he do w/salary cap.....

Well that's why in the pros you have a GM. And he does have another built in advantage, he's coached so many dudes in the league. He'll have no trouble in FA, and the Jags have so much draft capital and cap space. Idk what they'll be this year, but if Lawrence is who I believe he is, they'll be good in 2022.

12 hours ago, briantw said:

As someone who went to Bowling Green the year after Meyer left, we had a dog shit coach after him and still coasted to MAC championship games based on how good Meyer's recruits were.  

So I'm still not sure.

I thought you went to UNC.

Archived