US Politics- One Flew over the Cuckcoup’s Nest

Fury Resurrected

1. WSJ Editorial Board calling for resignation (and not unsupportive of impeachment but bellyached about the 2019 effort - which of course won’t age well because we would not be here if it had succeeded). 
2. Peggy Noonan (who annoys be but whatever) calling for impeachment. She called Cruz and Hawley “devils apprentices” and also punks practicing punk politics.

Point is we are watching a slow motion ship wreck as the saner wing of the GOP regrets the deal with the devil. 

2 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

1. WSJ Editorial Board calling for resignation (and not unsupportive of impeachment but bellyached about the 2019 effort - which of course won’t age well because we would not be here if it had succeeded). 
2. Peggy Noonan (who annoys be but whatever) calling for impeachment. She called Cruz and Hawley “devils apprentices” and also punks practicing punk politics.

Point is we are watching a slow motion ship wreck as the saner wing of the GOP regrets the deal with the devil. 

Question: were lower taxes and picking judges worth it?

3 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

No, because they could have done that with literally any Republican president if they controlled both chambers of Congress. Trump's only two accomplishments were done by McConnell. 

20 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

She called them "Punks"? Look out, Peggy's about to bust one of those caps in several melon farmers!!

Yes, she's annoying.

16 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

It's aaaaaaalways worth it. For Jesus.

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sounds like your GOP governor has called for Trump to eat shit and die, too. 

My new favorite Governor.

19 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

My new favorite story comment/internet word: the “traitor-bros”!

7 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Peggy Noonan (who annoys be but whatever)

I'm sorry, the faux-intellectualism and subsequent unwarranted respect of Peggy Noonan needs to stop.  Her rank racism has been consistent and long-lived from demonizing the homeless in the 80s to the calling of "looters" to be shot during Hurricane Katrina to denigrating Harris' behavior on the campaign trail 10 weeks ago.  But she gets a pass because she stole a line from a poet so Reagan could have an inspirational line after the Challenger exploded.

...Anyway, I don't mean to be combative with anything you posted.  It's perfectly true - Peggy Noonan represents the "sane" wing of the Republican party at this point.  Which is the whole damn lot of em need to take a direct flight into the sun.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

I'm sorry, the faux-intellectualism and subsequent unwarranted respect of Peggy Noonan needs to stop.  Her rank racism has been consistent and long-lived from demonizing the homeless in the 80s to the calling of "looters" to be shot during Hurricane Katrina to denigrating Harris' behavior on the campaign trail 10 weeks ago.  But she gets a pass because she stole a line from a poet so Reagan could have an inspirational line after the Challenger exploded.

...Anyway, I don't mean to be combative with anything you posted.  It's perfectly true - Peggy Noonan represents the "sane" wing of the Republican party at this point.  Which is the whole damn lot of em need to take a direct flight into the sun.

Oh not defending Peggy Noonan. Like I said she’s annoying (and that’s probably at best). It was more what the editorial represented. It’s like one’s great aunt Florence, who was a reliable Democratic voter until 1980, for reasons, and then a reliable Republican thereafter, for reasons, suddenly over coffee mildly mentioned maybe this violence is the line but she NEVER thought it would come to this. NEVER. She’s really shocked at this generation. 

1 minute ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Oh not defending Peggy Noonan.

I know - and nice analogy with Aunt Flo.  My frustration with Noonan being afforded such unearned legitimacy and even reverence, which I've watched for the past twenty years, simply boiled over.

26 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sounds like your GOP governor has called for Trump to eat shit and die, too. 

Baker has, at least, been consistently critical of Trump. His anger after the Feds hijacked some of the PPE he'd purchased in the spring was pretty palpable.

Of course the die hard local Trumpkins here hate him so much they constantly forget he's from their party.

16 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Did that years ago. Zuckerberg is a fucking Bond villain.

Yeah, dragging my feet on that one but its happening. 

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

I know - and nice analogy with Aunt Flo.  My frustration with Noonan being afforded such unearned legitimacy and even reverence, which I've watched for the past twenty years, simply boiled over.

Wasn't she involved in some unsavory shit back in the '70's? 

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Hmmm, there were so many posts I don't recall exactly which one, but I'm guessing the one about the things fascists don't care about?

The way you defeat fascism is to treat ordinary people with justice so that there is no fertile ground for it to grow in, you don't defeat it by throwing a bunch of thugs in jail for X number of years and imagining that will solve anything. Fascism arises because the masses are victims of an unjust system and the fascists show them who is to blame (which is always not remotely close to who is really to blame). People seem to think justice is punishing the angry mob, but it isn't because it hasn't dealt with the cause of the anger. Albeit not letting people get away with criminal behavior is important, it doesn't fix anything. Similarly getting rid of Trump, even impeaching and removing him tomorrow, does not deal with the reason Trump got to be president in the first place.

If you don't fix social and economic injustice, you might make fascism go away for a while, but it will only come back. My prediction, Biden-Harris won't fix much or anything, and we'll be back in 4 or 8 years with a trump figure, only this time they might actually be a bit smart, and thus even worse.

In 2008 I said Obama would not achieve the hope and change he talked about so much, he didn't partly because he couldn't as the system is resistant, but also partly because his politics was wrong in too many ways. Biden-Harris will be more of the same, or perhaps less of it. The collapse of this political order is coming, and this isn't limited to the USA. The world's political machinery is incapable of delivering the justice people so desperately seek. Until it is torn down and built anew on the unshakeable foundation of social and economic justice for all (the world) we are only going to see the last 4 years and the last 48hrs repeat, only with different players, and in a lot more countries, and perhaps with greater frequency.

Yet hope remains, while the company is true. The quest for a just society does not stand upon the edge of a knife, and no matter how much we stray it will not fail to the ruin of us all. But sadly there is a lot of straying going on, which is leading and will lead to the ruin of many.

I was reading an article about galactic civilisations, odd segue, but stay with me, The article was speculating that there were probably civilisations existing in the galaxy millions and billions of years ago, and the reason we don't see any is because, they speculate, all advanced civilisations eventually self-annihilate. Clearly the thinkers thinking these things believe that's where we're going, and probably in a geologically short time. This is hopelessly and horribly fatalistic, and I am not buying it. As bad as things will get, it's going to get better.

I have to say, this idea of fascism coming about due to a denial of social or economic justice to ordinary people misguided.

The rise of the far coincides with the barest amounts of justice being offered to typically maligned groups or subjugated groups within their society. Women, ethnic and religious minorities, the lgbt, immigrants.

Economic Inequality, but it’s gone down 

And their grievances  are often not rational and something a society that values, equability, and equality.

A white heterosexual male  in rural area in the US has a very little chance of actually ever interacting with a typical immigrant. Yet immigration will be the issue their most concerned with. Not covid. Not the opioid epidemic. Immigration. The idea that people like him—white heterosexual males—perhaps won’t have as big a monopoly on power in the nation is terrifying to him.
And trying to humor his bigotries—by pretending their rational and reasonable—it will not make him less bigoted. It will simply reaffirm his worldview is right.

I am not calling on Biden to execute anyone. 
I’m calling on him to give justice. Not to give undue leniency to rioters. In 9 months I do not want to see one of cosplaying fascists walking free, waxing their politics, and to be looked at as heroes.

Justice would see them in prison. It would send a message to others who’d organize an insurrection like this that they got can’t try to kill democracy and just resume their lives.

6 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

We could see impeachment in the House by the middle of next week. My guess is that McConnell sits on it for a week so Senate Republicans don’t have to make a choice either way.

Quorum is 51 senators. Conviction requires 2/3 present. There is a face saving parliamentary solution here....

Archived