NFL 2021 By Henne Means Necessary

mcbigski

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

We'll see, I don't think this report means much of anything.  May just be leaked by the Niners as damage control in the event they are stuck with Garoppolo.  I would still suspect they'll pursue a Watson deal, but I don't think they'll ultimately be successful.  Which conforms to Lynch's history of being in on big names on the trade market but ultimately not being successful.

On a lighter note, given the cost, I think it's best the Niners go all in on Watson. You and I were debating if the 12th pick was too much for Stafford, and it appears we were wrong. They were probably asking for a lot more. I'd rather just trade three firsts for Watson at this point.

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'd rather just trade three firsts for Watson at this point.

Yes, I'd trade three firsts for Watson.  That obviously has not changed, and I suspect the discussion is well beyond just that at this point.

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yes, I'd trade three firsts for Watson.  That obviously has not changed, and I suspect the discussion is well beyond just that at this point.

That's why I figured it would be wise to trade quick. The market will get unrealistic soon. Bosa and two firsts doesn't seen that wild now. Will reply to the post in the politics thread when done with yoga.  

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

That's why I figured it would be wise to trade quick. The market will get unrealistic soon. Bosa and two firsts doesn't seen that wild now.

"Striking quick" takes more than just wisdom.  It's a rather pointless statement unless you're privy to the internal negotiations.  And no, still not trading Bosa, we've already had that argument.

42 minutes ago, DMC said:

"Striking quick" takes more than just wisdom.  It's a rather pointless statement unless you're privy to the internal negotiations.  And no, still not trading Bosa, we've already had that argument.

I mean, not really if you think someone else is ready to pay more. That's specifically why you make a quick deal. But I think it's clear the Lions wanted more than the Niners were willing to offer. 

And I know you don't want to trade Bosa, but the team might be willing to.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

I mean, not really if you think someone else is ready to pay more.

Again, there's no way for any of us to really know what the hell we're talking about in this regard.  It's a black box. 

As for ShanaLynch's willingness to trade Bosa, I doubt it and obviously certainly hope not.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

Again, there's no way for any of us to really know what the hell we're talking about in this regard.  It's a black box. 

As for ShanaLynch's willingness to trade Bosa, I doubt it and obviously certainly hope not.

I think they'd want to avoid it as much as they can, and you've made a compelling argument why they should, but if that's the cost for a top five QB at age 25, you bite the bullet and do it. 

Ty, the whole point of trading the farm for Watson is because you have a team that can compete for Superbowls already. Stripping off the best supporting characters you have is high foolishness. I would offer three 1s, but if the Texans start demanding players as well then just hang up the phone and wait for them to come slithering back when they realize the Bears have worse picks and also aren't willing to give up their players. 

This Goff and Stafford business could help San Francisco. Garappolo is better than Goff and three 1s is a lot to like.

2 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

This Goff and Stafford business could help San Francisco. Garappolo is better than Goff and three 1s is a lot to like.

Yeah it's a good point that if anything this ups his value - especially since his contract is almost entirely extricable.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Not sure what you mean here?  The only difference in Garoppolo's contract in terms of releasing (or trading) him pre or post-June 1 is pre-June 1 the dead cap would be $2.8 million for 2021 only.  Post-June 1 that figure is divided into $1.4 million for 2021 and 2022 each.

Not really.  I'd honestly be fine just keeping him if his inability to stay healthy wasn't such a huge problem.  So in terms of health he's a bust, yeah.

I thought I had read they could cut him in March for essentially nothing.  I will defer to your superior knowledge.

On 1/31/2021 at 7:13 AM, Tywin et al. said:

Well this is not what I expected to wake up to. Kind of surprised the Rams gave up that much to just rid themselves of Goff while remaining competitive in the short term. I guess on paper it's a good trade for both teams if you don't over value first rounders, but the Rans can't keep trading this many picks. The cumulative cost of Stafford is what, like five first rounders plus now?

Also, welcome to the NFC North, Jared. McVay isn't there to protect your sorry ass anymore. Now you have Man Campbell calling your plays. Yikes. 

Actually Anthony Lynn is the OC. They haven't said who will be calling plays yet.

And to those knocking Detroit, the rich here all live in the northern suburbs. You can get a home there for a few million that would cost tens of millions in LA, maybe Goff and Stafford can trade homes too!. Plus, no killer earth quakes, flash floods, mud slides, forest fires, tsunami, tornado etc.. Work in Detroit / Allen Park and drive back the burbs, deal w snow a couple times and then head south after the season ends week 17!

23 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Ty, the whole point of trading the farm for Watson is because you have a team that can compete for Superbowls already. Stripping off the best supporting characters you have is high foolishness. I would offer three 1s, but if the Texans start demanding players as well then just hang up the phone and wait for them to come slithering back when they realize the Bears have worse picks and also aren't willing to give up their players. 

I understand, but I think that logic more applies to Kittle. Trading him would be like cutting off your nose to spite your face. I’m not so sure that entirely applies to Bosa. No one is denying his greatness, but the SF D was still top 10 without him and I believe several other starters. His loss would be significantly outweighed by Watson’s arrival as he’d be a considerable upgrade over Jimmy.

interesting to suggest they may try to trade Jimmy. I thought the consensus was they’d just cut him.

13 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

interesting to suggest they may try to trade Jimmy. I thought the consensus was they’d just cut him.

I think it could be up to the needs of the other team.  Maybe they’d want a solid but unspectacular QB to hold down the fort. 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I think it could be up to the needs of the other team.  Maybe they’d want a solid but unspectacular QB to hold down the fort. 

Eh, I'm not as high on Jimmy as some are, but he is good enough to keep even a shit team out of a top 5 pick. A team like the Texans should be tanking if they don't get a pick to net them their potential QB of the future. 

34 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Eh, I'm not as high on Jimmy as some are, but he is good enough to keep even a shit team out of a top 5 pick. A team like the Texans should be tanking if they don't get a pick to net them their potential QB of the future. 

Teams do not often look forward to tanking. Stop listening to dweeb podcasters who confuse spreadsheets for sport.

There's also this thing called 3 team trades where Garoppolo wouldn't necessarily go to the Texans, or say the Falcons if the Niners traded for Ryan.  I can think of one other team that definitely has interest in Garoppolo, and probably two.

Archived