NFL 2021 By Henne Means Necessary

mcbigski

Another thought on Mahomes and the talking heads... Last season, Jimmy Garoppolo had a wide open receiver streaking open downfield in the fourth quarter and he misses the throw.  If he connects, the 49ers close out that game.  Mahomes loses his first Super Bowl and now loses his second.  The narrative becomes "Mahomes can't win the big game."  Sports are a fickle beast.

And a great stat that a patient just laid on me this morning:  Tom Brady's career percentage of making it to the Super Bowl (47.6%) is greater than Steph Curry's three point percentage (43.4%).  :stunned:  And that includes his rookie year where he didn't play and the season where he played only one game due to an ACL injury.

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Apart from anything else I bet Brady has made far more from endorsements that he got due to his success, than he lost by leaving money on the table to ensure his teams could contend every year. 

Not really. Google says he's made around $100m in endorsements over his career. He's left a lot more than that on the table when it comes to annual salary shortcomings, but it doesn't matter because his wife makes a lot more than he does even if he was the highest paid player in the league.

Hard life, right?

37 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not really. Google says he's made around $100m in endorsements over his career. He's left a lot more than that on the table when it comes to annual salary shortcomings, but it doesn't matter because his wife makes a lot more than he does even if he was the highest paid player in the league.

Hard life, right?

Meh. for all his money, fame, success & super hot wife.... I have no idea where I'm going with this.  

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

It just blows my mind that people would rather have 50 million a year, than 30 million and a better chance at winning.

I think as professional sports go I'd probably be least inclined to sign a cut price deal to help out the team in the NFL. The players spend a few years playing for free in college, get drafted so they can't pick who they play for, get a fixed contract they can't negotiate when they sign and they can't even necessarily leave when that contact runs out. Plus there's the potential for a career ending injury at any point.

1 minute ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

Just curious, why would u post this? Two very completely different sets of victims.

Both 9/11 and COVID-19 don't have much to do with football, and yet the NFL (quite famously) honored the victims of 9/11 in the 2002 Super Bowl halftime.  Seems pertinent to point out that such a remembrance would not be possible in 2021 (unless they spread it across all 32 stadiums, in which case you could do it in "just" 23 minutes each). 

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I think as professional sports go I'd probably be least inclined to sign a cut price deal to help out the team in the NFL. The players spend a few years playing for free in college, get drafted so they can't pick who they play for, get a fixed contract they can't negotiate when they sign and they can't even necessarily leave when that contact runs out. Plus there's the potential for a career ending injury at any point.

I think this is fair for any position outside of QB. Every other position generally has only a small timeframe to cash in at, but QBs are so protected, can have extremely long careers and good but not great starters still will make hundreds of millions of dollars going forward. Plus the really good ones can still make a lot of money off the field. If I was a the tail end of my prime and already set not just for my life, but for my grandchildren's' lives, I'd take a team friendly team if that meant a better O-Line and another star to throw to.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Not impressed with Tua at all so far. At least not compared to Herbert and Burrow. 

Here's the thing that makes no sense to me. Everyone basically learned Tua's name when they watched him come out of nowhere and attack the field vertically in the NCAA Championship. The ball just exploded out of his hand and I think everyone walked away from it thinking he's probably going to be the top pick. But he got hurt and Burrow was a clear star, so it makes sense he went fifth. It's hard to explain why the Fins never let him attack down field and just made him throw only short to intermediate passes. And he wasn't bad at it. Normally a rookie QB throwing 11 TDs to just 5 Ints at a 65% completion ratio would be celebrated, and yet everyone seems to be down on him. 

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Here's the thing that makes no sense to me. Everyone basically learned Tua's name when they watched him come out of nowhere and attack the field vertically in the NCAA Championship. The ball just exploded out of his hand and I think everyone walked away from it thinking he's probably going to be the top pick. But he got hurt and Burrow was a clear star, so it makes sense he went fifth. It's hard to explain why the Fins never let him attack down field and just made him throw only short to intermediate passes. And he wasn't bad at it. Normally a rookie QB throwing 11 TDs to just 5 Ints at a 65% completion ratio would be celebrated, and yet everyone seems to be down on him. 

Like I said, it’s just by comparison. Herbert and Burrow just looked a lot better on much worse teams. They do need to get him some more weapons down there though (although Parker and Gesicki are both good). Reuniting him with Smith or Waddle makes a ton of sense. 

Chargers are a ridiculously talented team. Bengals are worse than Miami, but the rosters aren't incomparable. It's the coaching in Miami that gets the best out of a very limited roster.

Meanwhile I don't know why you think the Dolphins weren't letting Tua go down field. They kept pulling him because he wouldn't.

59 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think this is fair for any position outside of QB. Every other position generally has only a small timeframe to cash in at, but QBs are so protected, can have extremely long careers and good but not great starters still will make hundreds of millions of dollars going forward. Plus the really good ones can still make a lot of money off the field. If I was a the tail end of my prime and already set not just for my life, but for my grandchildren's' lives, I'd take a team friendly team if that meant a better O-Line and another star to throw to.

What I was about to say. I cant think of anyone other than Luck who was really cut short. And he still made more money than you could spend in 100 lifetimes. 

14 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Chargers are a ridiculously talented team. Bengals are worse than Miami, but the rosters aren't incomparable. It's the coaching in Miami that gets the best out of a very limited roster.

Meanwhile I don't know why you think the Dolphins weren't letting Tua go down field. They kept pulling him because he wouldn't.

DL and skill positions, yes. Their OL is bad though. Herbert had to overcome a ton of pressure all season. 

That said, I think Justin Jefferson should have won OROY. And I’ll also give Tristan Wirfs a shout out. Kid is an absolute stud. Did anyone hear his name called once last night (playing OT in the Super Bowl as a rookie)? Yeah, I didn’t either. 

18 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

What I was about to say. I cant think of anyone other than Luck who was really cut short. And he still made more money than you could spend in 100 lifetimes. 

Tony Romo, Joe Thiesman, Troy Aikman, RGIII off the top of my head. 

Archived