NFL 2021 By Henne Means Necessary

mcbigski

Goff's contract is also an albatross.  That might've actually cost them increased draft capital for the Lions to take on (although I'm not trying to figure out who gets what cap hit and dead cap and whatnot).

9 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Slight upgrade. Yeah, maybe in the way Chamberlain to Churchill was a slight upgrade.

Doesn't matter, that British empire ain't coming back with either of em

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Goff's contract is also an albatross.  That might've actually cost them increased draft capital for the Lions to take on (although I'm not trying to figure out who gets what cap hit and dead cap and whatnot).

He’s getting guaranteed $$ for the next two years I believe, don’t know if it hits Detroit for however much

Whats also kinda cool is Stafford gets to hang with his buddy Clayton now in LA, maybe they can both get injured the next year and call it quits:D

4 minutes ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

He’s getting guaranteed $$ for the next two years I believe, don’t know if it hits Detroit for however much

While I still don't know the particulars, the twitter consensus seems to be taking Goff's contract off their hands cost the Rams one of the first rounders - maybe even the third rounder too:

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Detroit can get out of Goff’s contract in 2 years with 0 dead cap. I think they won this trade pretty easily. 

17 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Detroit can get out of Goff’s contract in 2 years with 0 dead cap. I think they won this trade pretty easily. 

Yeah, and those two years are what cost the Rams more.  The Lions are taking on Goff's contract to get significantly more draft capital than was offered by everybody else.  Probably because their new GM drafted Goff. 

The notion that Stafford is injury prone is ill informed if it's meant to imply he will sidelined or under performing. He will play through the minor stuff better than average. I think he threw a TD with a dislocated should one game, he's an old school player in that toughness factor. 

He'll be on the field and playing every week.

Eta: He's never had anything close to the kind of Defense the Rams will be able to support him with.

Well this is not what I expected to wake up to. Kind of surprised the Rams gave up that much to just rid themselves of Goff while remaining competitive in the short term. I guess on paper it's a good trade for both teams if you don't over value first rounders, but the Rans can't keep trading this many picks. The cumulative cost of Stafford is what, like five first rounders plus now?

Also, welcome to the NFC North, Jared. McVay isn't there to protect your sorry ass anymore. Now you have Man Campbell calling your plays. Yikes. 

1 minute ago, ljkeane said:

I don't like the trade for Jared Goff. Did you see his house on Hard Knocks? Now he's got to move to Detroit. That's going to be a bit of an adjustment.

People like Eminem manage out in the Bloomfield or Gross Pointe burbs, athletes don't actually live in Detroit trust me.

Love the move for the Rams. I'll root for a Stafford-wonder boy pairing. The thing I resented about the McVay Rams was idiot brained stupid motherfuckers drooling onto the desk a collection of salivic symbols meant to further interpretations of data suggesting Goff was anything more than a sentient stick of butter with a lively arm. 

Go Rams. And I even like how they don't overvalue first rounders. You're good now. Maximise every available opportunity, expend every asset, to make yourself gooder next year. 

New England hasn't had a good 1st round pick in fifty-nine parsecs. They're overrated.

A few weeks ago, I would have considered this a good scenario.  In light of the Stafford news and potential availability of Rodgers/Watson; I can’t help but be a little disappointed.

41 minutes ago, Rhom said:

A few weeks ago, I would have considered this a good scenario.  In light of the Stafford news and potential availability of Rodgers/Watson; I can’t help but be a little disappointed.

We'll see, I don't think this report means much of anything.  May just be leaked by the Niners as damage control in the event they are stuck with Garoppolo.  I would still suspect they'll pursue a Watson deal, but I don't think they'll ultimately be successful.  Which conforms to Lynch's history of being in on big names on the trade market but ultimately not being successful.

Matt Ryan after June 1 - especially if the Falcons draft Fields or Wilson - also remains intriguing to me.  Especially considering they might only have to give up future draft picks and could fully use this year's class to fill in likely departures due to their cap situation.  If you're wondering why I'm saying after June 1, here's why:

If the Falcons were to trade Ryan as a post-June 1 transaction, then they would incur just $17.9 million in dead money. Ryan’s $5.5 million in guaranteed base salary would move with him to the new team. The team acquiring him would be responsible for a cap number of just $23 million in 2021. In 2022, that number would be $23.75 million and $28 million in 2023. Depending on the price the Falcons would ask for in a trade, that would be a team-friendly deal on which to acquire a former MVP.

Plus, of course, this doesn't preclude them from being aggressive in the draft if ShanaLynch does fall in love with one of them and/or they drop to the Niners.  Who knows.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

We'll see, I don't think this report means much of anything.  May just be leaked by the Niners as damage control in the event they are stuck with Garoppolo.  I would still suspect they'll pursue a Watson deal, but I don't think they'll ultimately be successful.  Which conforms to Lynch's history of being in on big names on the trade market but ultimately not being successful.

Matt Ryan after June 1 - especially if the Falcons draft Fields or Wilson - also remains intriguing to me.  Especially considering they might only have to give up future draft picks and could fully use this year's class to fill in likely departures due to their cap situation.  If you're wondering why I'm saying after June 1, here's why:

Plus, of course, this doesn't preclude them from being aggressive in the draft if ShanaLynch does fall in love with one of them and/or they drop to the Niners.  Who knows.

Agree it’s more complicated, but then there’s Jimmy G’s deal where the Niners could walk in March with no penalty.  Can’t do that if you want to go Ryan in the summer.

I do like the thought of reuniting Shanny the Younger with Matt Ryan.

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

then there’s Jimmy G’s deal where the Niners could walk in March with no penalty.  Can’t do that if you want to go Ryan in the summer.

Not sure what you mean here?  The only difference in Garoppolo's contract in terms of releasing (or trading) him pre or post-June 1 is pre-June 1 the dead cap would be $2.8 million for 2021 only.  Post-June 1 that figure is divided into $1.4 million for 2021 and 2022 each.

Just now, Cas Stark said:

Is Garoppolo officially a 'bust' ?

Not really.  I'd honestly be fine just keeping him if his inability to stay healthy wasn't such a huge problem.  So in terms of health he's a bust, yeah.

Archived