NFL 2021 By Henne Means Necessary

mcbigski

4 hours ago, Rockroi said:

Tom Brady, as if it needed to be repeated, is the greatest football player who has ever lived and likely the greatest professional athlete ever

No. Just...no. I'll concede greatest football player ever at this point, past Jerry Rice. But as far overall athletes go, I'd still easily take Jordan first and maybe also Gretzky

And beyond the big four sports, Don Bradman is the actual greatest professional athlete ever and probably that ever will be.

20 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I just think it's funny New England was the one team Stafford didn't want to go to. 

He's no dummy, and the Pats have one of the worst rosters in football, especially at the offensive skill positions.

21 minutes ago, Fez said:

No. Just...no. I'll concede greatest football player ever at this point, past Jerry Rice. But as far overall athletes go, I'd still easily take Jordan first and maybe also Gretzky

And beyond the big four sports, Don Bradman is the actual greatest professional athlete ever and probably that ever will be.

Lies!  We all know that Bret Hart is the "best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be!"

Stafford apparently said he would not accept a trade to New England.  It was the ONLY team he said he would not trade for, and that includes the Jets, Bengals, and Jags.

The two major factors were - #2, he did not wan t go from an indoor QB to having to play half his games in New England.

But the #1 reason was likely having to play for Belichick who is, in a word, unforgiving.  

And just to clarify, when I wrote "Greatest athlete ever," I was trying to find a short-hand as to "Greatest team sport player in any professional-level sport (and likley limited to the US bc I don't know enough about other games around the world)."  I don't think he's a great athlete in the same manner as I would Jordan or Michael Phelps.  But in terms of what he has done in a sport where one players SHOULD NOT be able to take over like this?  Its astounding.  As great as Gretzky and Jordan were, both played in sports that are far more conducive to one player simply taking over a game.  Further, Brady won a SB his first time on a brand new team; neither Gretzky nor Jordan could do that and both tried.  

10 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

And just to clarify, when I wrote "Greatest athlete ever," I was trying to find a short-hand as to "Greatest team sport player in any professional-level sport (and likley limited to the US bc I don't know enough about other games around the world)."  I don't think he's a great athlete in the same manner as I would Jordan or Michael Phelps.  But in terms of what he has done in a sport where one players SHOULD NOT be able to take over like this?  Its astounding.  As great as Gretzky and Jordan were, both played in sports that are far more conducive to one player simply taking over a game.  Further, Brady won a SB his first time on a brand new team; neither Gretzky nor Jordan could do that and both tried.  

Is it though? He isn't involved in, typically, 50% of the plays which are pretty significant. Offense / Defense / Special Teams responsibility split is far more significant than 3 lines in hockey the carve up ice time or player rotations in basketball. Winning on multiple teams as a metric feels more like confirmation than a relevant metric for greatness. Meh, I could be viewing it the other way just the same. /shrug

2 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

He's no dummy, and the Pats have one of the worst rosters in football, especially at the offensive skill positions.

18 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

But the #1 reason was likely having to play for Belichick who is, in a word, unforgiving.  

First, reason two you gave is BS as there are a lot of other cold outdoor teams. Second, I agree, but you've got the wrong coach. I think he wants nothing to do with that slob the Lions just canned.

The number of mistakes the Texans have made in the past three years is frankly astonishing.  They were a team that seemed on the cusp of putting things together behind a strong defense and a great young qb+wr combo.  Sure, they had weaknesses, particularly at O line, but every team has weaknesses and not every team has a star qb on a rookie contract.

Fast forward to now, the defense is a wreck, Watt is gone, Hopkins is gone, Watson wants out, the team was so bad they got the #3 pick, but both that pick and their second rounders are already traded.

It is truly a colossal failure. 

8 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

The number of mistakes the Texans have made in the past three years is frankly astonishing.  They were a team that seemed on the cusp of putting things together behind a strong defense and a great young qb+wr combo.  Sure, they had weaknesses, particularly at O line, but every team has weaknesses and not every team has a star qb on a rookie contract.

Fast forward to now, the defense is a wreck, Watt is gone, Hopkins is gone, Watson wants out, the team was so bad they got the #3 pick, but both that pick and their second rounders are already traded.

It is truly a colossal failure. 

I think it goes back even farther.  

It goes back to win the AFC leading Texans went into Foxborough and the organization bought them all "varsity jackets."  They came out of that game crushed and frankly, the franchise has never been the same since.

Its like that time Jacob Dylan and the Wallflowers had Bruce Springsteen join them at the MTV VMA's to sing One Headlight.  Bruce upstaged them at their own song and neither Dylan nor the Wallflowers have ever been heard from again.

Archived