NBA Playoffs - Play In? PLAY-IN It Cool

Relic

Hmmm, who has LeBron prevented from getting a ring...hard to say, since he's been around for SO long. He prevented a potential repeat by the Celtics of memory serves. There is way more player movement these days than in the 90s, so really really difficult to answer that question. Which veterans went to teams trying to ring chase that a LeBron team defeated?

Is there anything better in basketball than a roaring MSG? I think not. Amazing win for the Knicks last night. Im in europe so i went to bed at like 330 am convinced that were taking a hash L. Lo n behold i wake up and see the W. Crazy.

Just wish Rose wasn't the guy im cheering for. I feel really really bad about it. 

2 minutes ago, Relic said:

Hmmm, who has LeBron prevented from getting a ring...hard to say, since he's been around for SO long. He prevented a potential repeat by the Celtics of memory serves. There is way more player movement these days than in the 90s, so really really difficult to answer that question. Which veterans went to teams trying to ring chase that a LeBron team defeated?

Durant seems like the obvious answer here, although he only defeated Durant once in the playoffs in the 2011 Finals. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Durant seems like the obvious answer here, although he only defeated Durant once in the playoffs in the 2011 Finals. 

Durant has a ring.  It's really only Harden and Westbrook and then lessers like DeRozan or Al Horford.  Like Chris Paul doesn't have a ring but LeBron never beat him till potentially this year.

10 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Durant has a ring.  It's really only Harden and Westbrook and then lessers like DeRozan or Al Horford.  Like Chris Paul doesn't have a ring but LeBron never beat him till potentially this year.

Yes I know, but he only got one by leaving his already stacked OKC team by forming a superteam with Curry, because he decided that OKC wasn't going to be able to beat both GSW and CLE.  If the question is as Relic put it

Which veterans went to teams trying to ring chase that a LeBron team defeated?

Then Durant is the obvious answer, because the closest he came to a ring was 2011 when he lost to Lebron.  Although perhaps he was "closer" in 2016, it's hard to say if OKC would have defeated CLE if they'd won the 4th game against the Warriors.  My guess would be no, but I'm not sure of it.  

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

If the question is as Relic put it

Sometimes i write as if i didnt know how to speak English haha. 

What i meant to ask is - Which ring chasing vets did a LeBron team defeat, thus denying said vets a ring? 

6 hours ago, Maithanet said:

5 hours ago, Relic said:

Sometimes i write as if i didnt know how to speak English haha. 

What i meant to ask is - Which ring chasing vets did a LeBron team defeat, thus denying said vets a ring? 

Well I think guys like Rose, Melo, Westbrook and Harden would already have rings if it weren't for LeBron. He's also obviously hindered Jimmy Butler and Paul George.

Jokic again with a great game and I have the feeling that these Nuggets are growing with their tasks. Still Lakers are the team to beat in the West but whereas I would have given the Nuggets a 1:10 chance to reach the Conference finals before the start of the play offs I would put that odds at 1:3 now :)

What I like about Jokic, he delivers without much talk and bigging himself up.  Action speak louder than words anyway. I am tired to the bone of hyped-up players who disappear when the stakes are high. 

I know it goes with the social media territory and it’s the way the NBA has been going down the last 20 Years but I miss those old times (end 80s/90s). 

On 5/27/2021 at 1:10 AM, Tywin et al. said:

The point is the pre-draft coverage of Zion overshadowed LeBron's. By a lot.

What a strange metric to base this evaluation on. Might the difference in "pre-draft coverage" be explained by the fact that Zion came up in the age of Facebook and Twitter and a thousand attention-seeking platforms, while the extent of social media during Lebron's draft was, like, LiveJournal and Friendster?

Maybe I'm just being Charlie Brown kicking a football, but I think the Clippers bounce back tonight.  They're a good road team, and the Mavs have been getting pretty unsustainable shooting from thier role players.

I do expect Paul George to drop 40 one of these games. I just don't see the rest of their team having enough bullets to keep up with the Mavs. Beverly's reputation as a defensive whiz is being sorely tested, as he's being mercilessly attacked by Doncic any time he can put him on his hip. I thought Zubac sounded on paper like a solid big center for Kawhi and George, but he's been garbage on both sides of the court,and can't stay on  more than 20 minutes. Batum, Ibaka and Rondo all seem like they've aged five years. I think we'll see a really poor shooting game for the Mavs one of these nights, surely? Maybe the Clippers can avoid being slept - so odd to say that after I was one of the many who thought they'd be a force when Leonard and George teamed up.

I'm excited for the Knicks/Hawks game. The crowd is going to be really interesting - Atlanta is joked as another home game for the Knicks, who have loads of fans down there. That said, with all the MSG vs Trae Young stuff, I think even the half capacity State Farm could be nuts tonight.

I expect the Nets to completely dominate again, and not clue in for one minute. Three of my least favorite stars in decades assembled on one team? So glad they helped me avoid watching them simpler.

Well, as it turns out, the Mavs are still hitting their threes at an absurd rate. It just wasn't enough with Porzingis being a little anonymous. PG carried the Clippers early and Kawhi late. Doncic tends to start strong and fall off gradually. Dallas needs to help him out.

Doncic just not hitting his free throws this series. His free throw percentage is around the same as his three pointers. It'd be amazing if he ended the series or postseason having a higher percentage on three pointers than free throws. :lmao:

The Celtics managed to get a game against the Nets. Didn't think it was going to happen so I didn't watch it, but I'm glad they pulled it off. Hopefully they keep it going and pull the upset.

On 5/28/2021 at 9:07 AM, DanteGabriel said:

What a strange metric to base this evaluation on. Might the difference in "pre-draft coverage" be explained by the fact that Zion came up in the age of Facebook and Twitter and a thousand attention-seeking platforms, while the extent of social media during Lebron's draft was, like, LiveJournal and Friendster?

True, but when discussing most-hyped, times change.

Well that Miami in six pick looks about as bad as some of the arguments I made on the previous page. Last year was the fluke, not this season, and the Bucks look really good even though they lost White Donte for the rest of the playoffs. 

Davis out with a groin injury, and LAL look terrible without him.  Defense is terrible, no 3 point shooting at all and James is the only shot creator.

This game is already over and if Davis is out or hobbled, hard to imagine them winning this series.

42 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Davis out with a groin injury, and LAL look terrible without him.  Defense is terrible, no 3 point shooting at all and James is the only shot creator.

This game is already over and if Davis is out or hobbled, hard to imagine them winning this series.

Funny how the narrative can change so quickly. Phoenix looked dead to rights just a few days ago. 

The Lakers have always been a fragile team.  They are a team of two all pros and some decent role players.  Those two are good enough to win a championship, but take away either James or Davis and they arent even a top ten squad.  

Archived