US politics: Manchin to the beat of a different drum

IheartIheartTesla

26 minutes ago, Zorral said:

You had no trouble so what's the beef? 

I didn’t say it’s impossible to glean who you’re talking about. I’m saying you’re making it needlessly harder to do so.

You’re nicknames do not help facilitate conversation and I’ve seen people ask you to clarify who you’re talking when you tried this sort of thing other times.

Just referring to Trump as the tumor, or as the puss, or as some name in pop-culture with negative connotations makes it harder for others to know who you’re deriding. 

26 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The fewer uses of the name the better because, you know, media, algorithms etc.  Duh.

It’s not better if you want other people to immediately know who you’re deriding or talking about.

11 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

No? By proposing not investing in the community you are creating ghettos (in the classic, not the slang sense). You can’t just invest in the infrastructure though, you gotta include the people in the community investment and that’s gotta give the people already living there economic opportunity. The problem is community investment usually ends up not happening or happening in ways that don’t benefit the original residents and businesses, and instead make real estate flipping opportunities for well off white people. Use the money to build it into a beautiful permanent memorial and subsidize loans and grants for the existing businesses and people in the neighborhood who start businesses there. Don’t approve any big condo buildings.

In an ideal world, yes. But realistically that's not likely to happen. Not if the approach is to convert the area to look something like Nicollet Mall (I'm assuming you mean it would be comparable in scale except without the features of Downtown). It would be difficult to pass such a spending plan that would include everything you'd need to try to achieve what you're describing, ambitious and admirable as it is. I think a more realistic approach would be to skip rebuilding the entire area and instead invest in the existing local schools and small businesses.

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think most people know who we're talking about when someone says "Ha, Fuckface von Dipshit got his Facebook ban extended until at least 2023."

I despise Trump. Wanna say he’s a dipshit? No problem with that

But unless the conversation had previously established he was the topic of discussion I don’t think most people have got who “von dipshit” is.

It seems prioritizing appearing clever in insults than being clear.

7 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I despise Trump. Wanna say he’s a dipshit? No problem with that

But unless the conversation had previously established he was the topic of discussion I don’t think most people have got who “von dipshit” is.

It seems prioritizing appearing clever in insults than being clear.

It seems you are intentionally trying to make who "von dipshit" refers to less clear than it was previously. :P

eta - @Zorral, get on with ya bad self. Don't let the haters get you down (I know you won't :) )

:rofl: repetitiously complaining nobody knows who is referred to when everybody including the complainant knows the subject w/o any trouble. :rofl:

Making a problem that doesn't exist; kinda like strawmanning.

FYI, all over the innertubz, on news site after news site, the commentators constantly refer to orange previous in all sorts of ways that don't spell out the name that is on his fraudulent tax returns.  :rofl:  Many of them deeply creative too.  Not to mention that many began doing this in reaction to the very nasty names orange previous comes up and always has come up with make fun of all kinds of people.  Evidently the complainant doesn't know this, like so much about which he opines and complains about that have to do with the US and travesty that it's become politically.

On 5/27/2021 at 7:15 AM, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Don’t knock performance.  Performance is IMPORTANT, and sustained performance is CRITICAL.

Yep. Kids get taught to say the pledge of allegiance before they know what they're pledging allegiance to-but they learn good people should.

On some level, every social interaction we have is performance.  You present yourself as the person you want to be perceived as rather than the person that maybe you are, but those two concepts aren’t binary, and they merge over time.  I know exactly what annoys people, and I hear it all the time and it annoys me too (buzz words, perceived hypocrisy, posting rather than doing).  But habits of mind are formed by repetition.  Or put differently, if you tell a lie often enough at some point you believe it. So my view is let’s not knock performance, even if you, the audience, don’t love the second act of the play.  Let’s encourage MORE performance and better performance rather than throwing tomatoes.  

Exactly right. 
I think many progressives and much of the left get to bogged down on this idea of people doing things they like for pure altruism.

Much of the right and many conservatives are better at just prioritizing consequence. It doesn’t matter if the person doing the the thing they like is self-serving the person’s doing it.

I don’t personally like when one person tells another person that their stated beliefs and emotions aren’t real.  Completely off topic, but anecdotally I see this accusation thrown at women a lot.  It sets my teeth on edge.

Yep. Women can’t be seen as individuals they’re just following the crowd(even when they make up half-the crowd). 

I don’t like accusing others of being disingenuous in their stated political beliefs.  it should be noted that people can lie about their beliefs because stating them outright could garner backlash.

But it should be noted that sometimes people can genuinely hold beliefs that are unreasonable to you. And it's in fact unreasonable to not treat the beliefs seriously. 

Like Hitler’s racism was downplayed as merely bravado for the masses to get elected. 

I understand The Orange One (or should I say von dipshit?) has moved up to his Bedford golf course for the summer.

Is Florida too hot for a grossly overweight old man to spend 12 hours a day on the golf course? Or, like Pence, does he plan to show up in New Hampshire to kick-off his 2024 campaign?

4 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I fully concede I could turn up wrong. I’m a  pessimist so I do have the tendency immediately think of the worst scenarios as the most likely.

I think your ideas here are more delusional rather than pessimistic.

Hmm I think the issue comes with him being pressured to step down with the adage of it being a necessary political statement. 

“It’s time for the Supreme Court to have a black woman.”

The pressure to step down is/will be so a Democrat can replace him, not that he's replaced by a black woman.  It's safe to assume Breyer wants his replacement to be nominated by a Democrat.  Assuming it'd be too "political" for Breyer because that Democrat will appoint a black woman is, again, offensive to Breyer.

I think it’s more he’s looking towards a way to exit that won’t scream partisanship to the public.

He’s a liberal. But he(like most justices) doesn’t  want to be viewed as serving at the behest of a political party.

Except Breyer is not an idiot and knows the last time there was a Democratic president and a Senate GOP, the Senate simply refused to confirm anybody.  The notion Breyer would think he's serving "at the behest of a political party" by retiring at a time when the Dems control both is absurd.  Were David Souter and John Paul Stevens viewed as serving "at the behest" of the Dems because of when they retired?  Hell, was Harry Blackmun when he was replaced by Breyer?  I don't think so, and I highly (highly) doubt Breyer does either.

He’s signaling that he’s seeing the court in a more partisan light than Breyer thinks is appropriate.

Why is wanting a black woman on the court "seeing it in a more partisan light?"  Reagan promised to nominate a female justice during the 1980 campaign.  Was that "partisan?"

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

I understand The Orange One (or should I say von dipshit?) has moved up to his Bedford golf course for the summer.

Is Florida too hot for a grossly overweight old man to spend 12 hours a day on the golf course? Or, like Pence, does he plan to show up in New Hampshire to kick-off his 2024 campaign?

As I posted above, the NJ golf course is closer to NYC, into which he's taken now to sneaking at least one day a week.  Imagine what orange previous is attempting to get up to here!

6 hours ago, Zorral said:

As commented previously, the Biden people really understand effective television moments, as well as photography moments.  Recall that great photo of Biden driving/trying out that new SUV truck?  And now this one on a bike.  (Compare and contrast with OP -- orange previous -- and his preposterous and ridiculous projection just SITTING at the wheel of something or other supposedly powerful vehicle.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/04/us/politics/rehoboth-delaware-biden.html

I think that this is also a function of the relative gap in athleticism and lifestyle between Trump and Biden.

Trump's lifestyle includes Big Macs and Competitive Television Viewing along with golf, and his Vietnam Avoidance Feature was bone spurs.

Biden was a standout high school receiver and played baseball as well, and he doesn't favor The Scottish Restaurant as his go-to dining option.

Some folks inherit more natural physical grace than others, and Biden has more of it.

As much as political races are partially a popularity contest, it still amazes me that a chud like Trump got elected, since he is just the old man version of the clueless monied college kid whose monumental lack of self-awareness makes them so hard to like.  Of course, this is also an indictment of the lackluster slate of nonentities and failsons that the GOP leadership puked up on us to compete as potential Republican candidates for the 2016 nomination.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

think your ideas here are more delusional rather than pessimistic.

That's a fair point. Saying I'm Pessimistic may connote I have some reasonble fear.

I'm open to the possibility I don't.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

The pressure to step down is/will be so a Democrat can replace him, not that he's replaced by a black woman.  It's safe to assume Breyer wants his replacement to be nominated by a Democrat. 

I think the trouble lies with him looking like he's stepping down just so Democrats could replace him and that he'd been pressed to facilitate the political statement they'd make with his replacement.

Which he doesn't want.

Biden already publicly announcing the type of person who'd fill Breyer’s vacancy doesn't help. 

He should have not talked about it publicly imo.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Except Breyer is not an idiot and knows the last time there was a Democratic president and a Senate GOP, the Senate simply refused to confirm anybody. 

Again that wouldn't really be his problem would it?

He's not a politician working for the Democratic party and he's been outspoken against further trying to politicalize the court.

If he leaves under a gop Senate no one at the very least can say he did so because he's a good team player for the Democrats.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

The notion Breyer would think he's serving "at the behest of a political party" by retiring at a time when the Dems control both is absurd.

I think it's more he's worried about the appearance of partisanship in his retirement.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Were David Souter and John Paul Stevens viewed as serving "at the behest" of the Dems because of when they retired?

Well there was no large public liberal outcry urging them to do so, and the public perception of the court is different now.  How politicians treat the court is different now.

Democrats controlled the senate when Thomas was confirmed. 

Not one Democratic senator voted for Barret.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Why is wanting a black woman on the court "seeing it in a more partisan light?"  Reagan promised to nominate a female justice during the 1980 campaign.  Was that "partisan?"

I would prefer Biden to do/say whatever it takes to get Breyer to step down. I simply don't think Biden proclaiming publicly  he’s already typecast who'd be his replacement would be helps.

Truth be told I would not mind if biden breaks his promise to nominate a black woman if  nominating a former clerk of Breyer wouldincrease the chance of breyer to step down.

23 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

it still amazes me that a chud like Trump got elected, since he is just the old man version of the clueless monied college kid whose monumental lack of self-awareness makes them so hard to like.

Because his worshippers see themselves in him, and he's given them permission to be the loser and failures and uglies they are while abusing everyone else.  That is their only happiness -- abusing others, which very likely for many includes animals, dirt, trees and children.  Abuse is their joy.  If it wasn't they wouldn't be thoroughly ugly and off-putting to every other kind of human being.  IOW, hate makes people ugly.

OTOH I'm not a psychiatrist so I could be wrong.  I also don't have all the much faith in psychiatry either, in the formal sense.  Hey they classified people who love their own gender as 'sick' so, and girls and women reporting sexual abuse by their relatives as deluded and hysterical --there we go. Not to mention that stupid penis envy. :rofl:  We've all pretty much learned that it is only people who have penii who care about penii, one way or another. So about half the world does not care, much less envy.

5 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Well there was no large public liberal outcry urging them to do so, and the public perception of the court is different now.  How politicians treat the court is different now.

Yes there was, especially with Stevens, and no, the perception of the court is not all that different from 12 years ago.

6 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Truth be told I would not mind if biden breaks his promise to nominate a black woman if  nominating a former clerk of Breyer wouldincrease the chance of breyer to step down.

LOL, I don't know what Breyer did to you to think he'd hold up retirement unless Biden appointed one of his former clerks.

12 minutes ago, DMC said:

LOL, I don't know what Breyer did to you to think he'd hold up retirement unless Biden appointed one of his former clerks.

Has Breyer ever had a clerk that was a Black woman? :idea:

5 hours ago, Week said:

It seems you are intentionally trying to make who "von dipshit" refers to less clear than it was previously. :P

eta - @Zorral, get on with ya bad self. Don't let the haters get you down (I know you won't :) )

Eh, not really no.

Do you know who I would mean if I started a conversation about artsy Voldemort?

Spoiler

Artsy Voldemort is Hitler.

You may but it would come across as cringe no lol?

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

As much as political races are partially a popularity contest, it still amazes me that a chud like Trump got elected, since he is just the old man version of the clueless monied college kid whose monumental lack of self-awareness makes them so hard to like.  Of course, this is also an indictment of the lackluster slate of nonentities and failsons that the GOP leadership puked up on us to compete as potential Republican candidates for the 2016 nomination.

Because he was the politically incorrect rabble rouser who preyed upon white and male fears of power displacement.

He could also be interesting to watch and talk about. Which got him a fuckton of more media attention.

I remember watching a ton of town halls featuring him on cnn and msnbc featuring him.

But not of Hillary.

37 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yes there was, especially with Stevens, and no, the perception of the court is not all that different from 12 years ago.

Certainly not to the same degree and yes the court’s perception has changed in 12 years. 

I imagine in 2009 if Scalia’s seat was open you'd get a couple of gop senators to vote to replace him with a nominee from Obama. It’d be entirely unnecessary since Democrats had a large enough majority to do so anyway but you'd get a couple. We will be lucky to see one gop senator vote for a supreme court justice nominee from biden.

37 minutes ago, DMC said:

Eh, it helped Trump get Kennedy off the bench.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/justice-kennedy-asked-trump-to-put-kavanaugh-on-supreme-court-list-book-says/2019/11/21/3495f684-0b0f-11ea-8397-a955cd542d00_story.html%3foutputType=amp

Its easy to see why. Kennedy liked and respected Kavanugh.

I imagine there's a clerk from Breyer that he does as well.

I am not saying Biden putting said clerk’s name on the list of potential nominees will get breyer to announce retirement right now.

I'm just saying the likelihood probably would increase.

24 minutes ago, Week said:

Hmm good question but I think no;https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2017/12/12/supreme-court-clerks-are-not-a-particularly-diverse-lot/%3foutputType=amp

4 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I imagine in 2009 if Scalia’s seat was open you'd get a couple of gop senators to vote to replace him with a nominee from Obama.

In 2009 if the GOP was able to block Obama's nominees they would have.  I'm pretty sure about this because the Senate GOP in 2009 was run by *checks notes* Mitch McConnell.

7 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Eh, it helped Trump get Kennedy off the bench.

No, it didn't.  You're confusing the sequence of events.  Kennedy decided to retire.  Then he encouraged Trump to appoint Kavanaugh.  If you think Kennedy wasn't going to retire unless Trump appointed Kavanaugh, you're kidding yourself.

This entire idea, btw, flies in the face of your coinciding argument that Breyer doesn't want to retire out of the fear it'd be too "political."  What would be more political than leveraging your position in order to hand select your former clerk as your replacement?

28 minutes ago, Week said:

Does it matter?  The notion a justice would hold up retirement unless the president appointed their clerk just because Trump appointed Kavanaugh is absurd on its face.

5 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I didn’t say it’s impossible to glean who you’re talking about. I’m saying you’re making it needlessly harder to do so.

You’re nicknames do not help facilitate conversation and I’ve seen people ask you to clarify who you’re talking when you tried this sort of thing other times.

Just referring to Trump as the tumor, or as the puss, or as some name in pop-culture with negative connotations makes it harder for others to know who you’re deriding. 

It’s not better if you want other people to immediately know who you’re deriding or talking about.

This is really nonsensical. No-one is confused over who the orange sloth is. He has been the orange pos on this board for the last several years now and he shall remain the traitorous orange and the board will continue to recognize him as such. That is his title here, the orange pos.

25 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

This is really nonsensical. No-one is confused over who the orange sloth is. He has been the orange pos on this board for the last several years now and he shall remain the traitorous orange and the board will continue to recognize him as such. That is his title here, the orange pos.

Euphemisms for anything other than genitalia are annoying, but yeah, it's not like we ever have to wonder whom @Zorral is speaking of.  I think it's nonsensical and superstitious to not call him Trump but it's been happening for like 4 years now, so let's just move on.

eta: and this thing of not saying Trump is pretty common and certainly not limited to here or Z by any means.  Let them call him what they will

Archived