Euro 2020 in 2021

1 minute ago, Bale's Bald Spot said:

It's a penalty all day long. It's not an excuse that he's trying to get higher in the air or that he's not sure where the guy is, if you smack someone in the face with your elbow, it's generally a foul. These things don't have to be intentional.

So I guess if you jump head first in the other player's elbow, you get awarded a penalty. Well ready the face masks.

Just now, Corvinus85 said:

So I guess if you jump head first in the other player's elbow, you get awarded a penalty. Well ready the face masks.

Perhaps not if it's blatantly obvious that that's what happened, but like I say, elbowing someone in the face is a foul.

It's absolutely bizarre to me that some people think otherwise.

Just now, Bale's Bald Spot said:

Perhaps not if it's blatantly obvious that that's what happened, but like I say, elbowing someone in the face is a foul.

It's absolutely bizarre to me that some people think otherwise.

Well to me it looks more like a face-to-elbow case, and not an elbow-to-face case. Lovren was in the air before Schick, so I'm not sure what he could could have done.

25 minutes ago, Bale's Bald Spot said:

elbowing someone in the face is a foul.

Except, you know, it isn’t. Deliberately elbowing someone in the face is a foul, which Lovren didn’t do, after that it’s a judgment call on the part of the ref as to whether the challenge was careless or reckless.

17 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Except, you know, it isn’t. Deliberately elbowing someone in the face is a foul, which Lovren didn’t do, after that it’s a judgment call on the part of the ref as to whether the challenge was careless or reckless.

Deliberately elbowing someone in the face is a red card, accidentally is a foul and a yellow. What's the issue?

2 minutes ago, Bale's Bald Spot said:

Deliberately elbowing someone in the face is a red card, accidentally is a foul and a yellow. What's the issue?

The issue is the act of just catching someone in the face isn’t a foul in and of itself. It’s a judgment on the part of the ref on what’s lead up to it that determines whether it’s a foul. Jumping normally for a header shouldn’t be a penalty just because someone ends up with a bloody nose.

45 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Well to me it looks more like a face-to-elbow case, and not an elbow-to-face case. Lovren was in the air before Schick, so I'm not sure what he could could have done.

Lovren was struggling to get up to the ball a bit - that doesn't mean he's allowed to deploy emergency defensive measures and start flapping his wings violently.

His elbows were above his head ffs.

2 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

The issue is the act of just catching someone in the face isn’t a foul in and of itself. It’s a judgment on the part of the ref on what’s lead up to it that determines whether it’s a foul. Jumping normally for a header shouldn’t be a penalty just because someone ends up with a bloody nose.

I think part of the issue here is that in the past, before VAR, a lot of these incidents were unclear to the ref and so were left alone. This should be punished as it is dangerous play. We've had years of seeing Shearer et al beat up defenders like this, but that doesn't mean it's okay.

Players should be aware of their surroundings, especially defenders. (Not much chance of that with Dejan though, of course.)

To me, what makes it a penalty - rather clearly - is that he has his elbow above his face. 

I'm not sure how everyone else jumps, but even when I was CB a couple of seasons, I never encountered that. Or did it myself. And I know my elbows flail a bit.

It was 100% a penalty. Maybe even 110%.

When jumping, whether vertically, forward or backward, your arms naturally arc downward as you propel yourself upward. Lovren's elbow being level with - or even above - his head is all you need to see to know his elbow action in that incident was unnatural and entirely intentional.

Any experienced CB expects there to be someone behind them in a situation like that, especially when moving backward as Lovren was. He knew what he was doing.

Archived