Euro 2020 in 2021

They were covering this on the bbc during the Belgium game. Apparently them hugging him etc pitchside after the match isn’t enough to trigger the call that they are “close contacts” of an infected person BUT due to reports that the “interaction” continued in the tunnel, public health England is now conducting an investigation to determine if they are or aren’t close contacts, and if they are they’d be out even if they return a negative test.

2 hours ago, john MCG said:

Wow, tv feed is very quick to cut away when there’s a topless woman running on the pitch in St Petersburg but a player almost dying they wanted to get a close up.

Priorities, mate. Also, you may find this to be a bit funny:

“Because of where we sat, we had a close up view of your conduct in the fourth quarter. The chest puffs. The pelvic thrusts. The arrogant struts and the ‘in your face’ taunting of both the Titans’ players and fans. We saw it all.

I refuse to believe you don’t realize you are a role model. You are paid millions of dollars every week to play hard and be a leader. In the off season you’re expected to make appearances, support charities, and inspire young kids to pursue your sport and all sports. With everything the NFL has gone through in recent years, I’m confident they have advised that you are, by virtue of your position and career choice, a role model…. My daughter sensed the change immediately – and started asking questions. Won’t he get in trouble for doing that? Is he trying to make people mad? Do you think he knows he looks like a spoiled brat?

I didn’t have great answers for her, and honestly, in an effort to minimize your negative impact and what was otherwise a really fun day, I redirected her attention to the cheerleaders and mascot.”

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/11/mother-writes-letter-cam-newton-dance

John Fleck had it recently. Six others in the squad self-isolated during the warm-up friendlies as a result, though Gilmour was not among them. The most likely thing is that Gilmour caught it from Fleck.

Chilwell and Mount are Chelsea team-mates of Gilmour, so the three of them likely did spend some time interacting in the tunnel.

I may have missed something, but it's not as if they went out partying or something. They had "interaction" at the stadium with their teammate who played for an opposing team which I see as the most normal thing in the world. Once again, I don't know what type "interaction" it was so that might change my opinion, but considering having a hug and a chat with your mate as some big mistake is just wrong IMO.

There had just been a positive case in the Scotland squad. You'd expect the England management team will have been reminding the players to observe protocols, but even without that, it's not difficult to have a chat with your mates without cuddling with them. They were dumb.

Yeah, my impression is that this conversation took place at a time when Chilwell and Mount could not possibly have known that Gilmour was infected - largely because he didn't know himself. Nor did the Scotland medical team. I suppose one could say that they shouldn't have had an extended conversation with someone outside their own team but that's stretching it a bit.

Just now, Bale's Bald Spot said:

There had just been a positive case in the Scotland squad.

'Just' is relative: it was over two weeks before the match.

Honestly, this was a bit of bad luck.

I've been keeping my distance from people when having a conversation for 17 months, have you all not been? 

You can talk to someone without being in close proximity. Expecially when you are meant to know who your bubble is and the consequences of breaching it.

If you have all been ignoring the rules for the past year and are relatively intelligent people, I'm not surprised the disease has spread so easily. 

To be fair, they’ve just been on a football pitch clattering into one another, grappling each other, sweating and breathing heavily near each other. 

There is clearly a contradiction in the rules here. Why aren’t the entire Scotland side made to isolate, why not the entire England side? Why not just call the whole event off. The rules are not clear cut and don’t make any sense and we should all just accept that, shake our heads and move on.

2 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

To be fair, they’ve just been on a football pitch clattering into one another, grappling each other, sweating and breathing heavily near each other. 

There is clearly a contradiction in the rules here. Why aren’t the entire Scotland side made to isolate, why not the entire England side? Why not just call the whole event off. The rules are not clear cut and don’t make any sense and we should all just accept that, shake our heads and move on.

To your first point one is avoidable and one isn't, though obviously both were avoidable if the tournament had been deemed non essential. 

UEFA cover themselves in glory (not):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57566224

Uefa has declined a request to light up the Allianz Arena in rainbow colours before Germany's Euro 2020 match against Hungary on Wednesday.

Munich mayor Dieter Reiter made the request in protest against a new law in Hungary that bans the sharing of any content seen as promoting homosexuality and gender change to under-18s.

Uefa says it denied the request because of the "political context".

A bit to unpack here. But it's very typical of modern institutions to be completely in favour of equality as long as it doesn't involve confronting bigotry in even a symbolic way.

In UEFA's world, being vaguely in favour of equality = non-political, possibly upsetting bigots = political. Except that these two things cannot be separated. What you get when you try is meaningless platitudes. I'd be angrier, but quite honestly the world is full of institutions trying to do the same thing.

47 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I've been keeping my distance from people when having a conversation for 17 months, have you all not been? 

You can talk to someone without being in close proximity. Expecially when you are meant to know who your bubble is and the consequences of breaching it.

If you have all been ignoring the rules for the past year and are relatively intelligent people, I'm not surprised the disease has spread so easily. 

You are still ignoring the fact that all these players should have been tested.

And get off that high horse. As far as keeping distance is concerned, I'd dare say that I have done so better than you. Having worked from home for well over a year and reduced contact with other people to bare minimum over most of that period, not travelled anywhere etc. would probably put me in top 5% of most disciplined people who suffered through this whole isolation thing. I've been keeping my distance from people up there with the best of them.

Still, I have been vaccinated and have been seeing my friends and have talked to them for well over 25 minutes, have had a few beers with them and will be having more. Luckily, weather permits most of those interactions taking place outdoors.

1 minute ago, baxus said:

You are still ignoring the fact that all these players should have been tested.

And get off that high horse. As far as keeping distance is concerned, I'd dare say that I have done so better than you. Having worked from home for well over a year and reduced contact with other people to bare minimum over most of that period, not travelled anywhere etc. would probably put me in top 5% of most disciplined people who suffered through this whole isolation thing. I've been keeping my distance from people up there with the best of them.

Still, I have been vaccinated and have been seeing my friends and have talked to them for well over 25 minutes, have had a few beers with them and will be having more. Luckily, weather permits most of those interactions taking place outdoors.

This is so stupid I don't know where to start. Who cares if they have been tested? Your test is good until your next interaction with someone, then becomes less and less valuable as time passes. 

They stood in close proximity to someone outside their bubble (assuming reports are correct) for 25 mins in a tunnel. There was no need for this to happen. Now they are out for at least one game, probably 2 I would send them home. 

Whether you have been following the rule better than me (it doesn't sound like it) is moot, I was pointing out that there was no need for these 2 players to have had the close contact which has made SI necessary. 

Yeah, I don't see how Mount or Chilwell broke any protocols. It's not as though they interacted with Gilmour after he had tested positive. They aren't twats and certainly should not be reprimanded. They interacted with Gilmour after the game and every one of the players and staff present at the game would have returned negative tests and been cleared to play. This was just a bit of bad luck rather than them being idiots.

Archived