Euro 2020 in 2021

8 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Yeah, I don't see how Mount or Chilwell broke any protocols. It's not as though they interacted with Gilmour after he had tested positive. They aren't twats and certainly should not be reprimanded. They interacted with Gilmour after the game and every one of the players and staff present at the game would have returned negative tests and been cleared to play. This was just a bit of bad luck rather than them being idiots.

They stood in close proximity to someone in a tunnel for 25 mins having a totally unnecessary conversation. How is that not breaching protocols? 

7 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

To be fair, Kane and Sterling seemed to be largely self-isolating anyway during the Scotland game :P

Many people are now viewing the tape to try and find evidence of them in close proximity to Gilmour. 

6 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

They stood in close proximity to someone outside their bubble (assuming reports are correct) for 25 mins in a tunnel. There was no need for this to happen. Now they are out for at least one game, probably 2 I would send them home.

If talking to your mate for 25 minutes "in close proximity" is an offense that should see a player get sent home then why the fuck are we having this tournament in the first place?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't UK lifted many (if not most) of covid restrictions. Aren't beer gardens for fans to watch games in allowed? Are you telling me that fans who go there get tested? Why is that allowed and talking to a friend for 25 minutes is not?

I can't believe we are talking about young players from two different teams TALKING TO EACH OTHER IN A FRIENDLY MANNER as something wrong. And the fact that their conversation was being timed is even more bizzare.

Mount and Chilwell weren't likely to play anyway and England have quite substantial options to cover both absences, so I'm not sure there's any footballing reason for concern.

5 minutes ago, baxus said:

If talking to your mate for 25 minutes "in close proximity" is an offense that should see a player get sent home then why the fuck are we having this tournament in the first place?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't UK lifted many (if not most) of covid restrictions. Aren't beer gardens for fans to watch games in allowed? Are you telling me that fans who go there get tested? Why is that allowed and talking to a friend for 25 minutes is not?

I can't believe we are talking about young players from two different teams TALKING TO EACH OTHER IN A FRIENDLY MANNER as something wrong. And the fact that their conversation was being timed is even more bizzare.

We are not discussing whether the rules are sensible, we are discussing whether players should know what the rules are and abide by them to avoid this happening.  There was no good reason for this breach, now they miss 2 games.

If they talked to each other from 2m+ distance which we all understand is the rule, this wouldn't have happened. 

6 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

They stood in close proximity to someone in a tunnel for 25 mins having a totally unnecessary conversation. How is that not breaching protocols?

How is that breaching protocols. Show me the rule that they broke.

This is coming across more as a face saving exercise because the media circulated photos and videos of Mount and Chilwell hugging Gilmour and a bunch of people complaining about it on social media. Common sense dictates that Gilmour would have spent more than 15 or 25 minutes less than 2 metres apart from the majority of his teammates what with training sessions, bus journey, changing rooms and playing a match. Yet the entire/majority of the Scottish team haven't been told to isolate.

4 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

How is that breaching protocols. Show me the rule that they broke.

This is coming across more as a face saving exercise because the media circulated photos and videos of Mount and Chilwell hugging Gilmour and a bunch of people complaining about it on social media. Common sense dictates that Gilmour would have spent more than 15 or 25 minutes less than 2 metres apart from the majority of his teammates what with training sessions, bus journey, changing rooms and playing a match. Yet the entire/majority of the Scottish team haven't been told to isolate.

You can google 'close contact' but specifically 'been within 2 metres of someone for more than 15 mins'. 

Because that would have been intermittent. 

22 minutes ago, Angus McGonagle said:

Mount and Chilwell weren't likely to play anyway and England have quite substantial options to cover both absences, so I'm not sure there's any footballing reason for concern.

Chilwell actually might have been given a game tonight, seeing how Southgate has been giving all of his fullbacks time so far, but yeah, Mount could have done with a match off anyway, having played the first two.

It looks like they'll both be unavailable for the next match too though, and I would have expected Mount to start in that one.

It makes little difference to the team. Mount would have started the last 16 game but I doubt his presence would’ve been key to victory. So it’ll just be them being punished for their own mistake, seems fair enough.

Does seem like Gilmour must be starved for affection amongst his teammates if none of them are close contacts but it probably all comes down to what you can prove.

1 hour ago, baxus said:

Pretty much this. The interactions on the pitch are far more likely to expose an individual to the virus than talking to someone in a tunnel for a prolonged period of time.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

We are not discussing whether the rules are sensible, we are discussing whether players should know what the rules are and abide by them to avoid this happening.  There was no good reason for this breach, now they miss 2 games.

If they talked to each other from 2m+ distance which we all understand is the rule, this wouldn't have happened. 

You're aware that governments have been telling adults how to wash their hands like they're five years old? Clearly they don't expect much from the average person, and even if people are aware of various protocols they're likely to forget them in the moment when they bump into a friend. 

I work at a hospital and it was quite common to see, before the vaccine was even rolled out, two doctors standing face to face without their masks on. If doctors could make that kind of mistake literally anyone could.

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Pretty much this. The interactions on the pitch are far more likely to expose an individual to the virus than talking to someone in a tunnel for a prolonged period of time.

You're aware that governments have been telling adults how to wash their hands like they're five years old? Clearly they don't expect much from the average person, and even if people are aware of various protocols they're likely to forget them in the moment when they bump into a friend. 

I work at a hospital and it was quite common to see, before the vaccine was even rolled out, two doctors standing face to face without their masks on. If doctors could make that kind of mistake literally anyone could.

1) But interactions on the pitch are allowed and necessary (ish). I'm not arguing whether the rules are good, I'm arguing you follow the rules as they exist or face the consequences. 

2) I suppose this is where I disagree with the thread. I was bollocking/drilling my staff about what is ok and what is not from the start.

They all got on board pretty quickly. With the consequences of not following the rules for the players being so harsh, I assume they are getting it drilled into them as well. Why did none of the coaching staff pull them up, how are players allowed to just breach rules without the staff challenging them? If they are meant to be in a bubble they shouldn't be wandering around unsupervised (footballers are dumb as shit, everyone knows that). 

29 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

1) But interactions on the pitch are allowed and necessary (ish). I'm not arguing whether the rules are good, I'm arguing you follow the rules as they exist or face the consequences. 

2) I suppose this is where I disagree with the thread. I was bollocking/drilling my staff about what is ok and what is not from the start.

They all got on board pretty quickly. With the consequences of not following the rules for the players being so harsh, I assume they are getting it drilled into them as well. Why did none of the coaching staff pull them up, how are players allowed to just breach rules without the staff challenging them? If they are meant to be in a bubble they shouldn't be wandering around unsupervised (footballers are dumb as shit, everyone knows that). 

There are rules, but they're extremely arbitrary, and in such instances people are likely to ignore them, which isn't unreasonable. It's also unrealistic to expect people to constantly keep in the back of their minds that they need to specifically stay six feet apart. 

And trust me, I'm sure the coaching at our hospital was more thorough than what you experienced. The walls are pasted with COVID guidelines. Every time you log into your computer you'd get a giant checklist you'd have to go through. During the height pf the pandemic we'd get hourly emails reminding us of all the protocols both while we're at work and on our free time etc. The truth is people forget them, don't follow them strictly and as things feel safer they're more likely to ignore them outright. 

UK government confirms that the allowable attendance at Wembley will be increased to 75% of capacity for the semifinals and final. 

There were reports that UEFA were considering moving the games to Budapest due to the restrictions in England. 

1 minute ago, Consigliere said:

UK government confirms that the allowable attendance at Wembley will be increased to 75% of capacity for the semifinals and final. 

There were reports that UEFA were considering moving the games to Budapest due to the restrictions in England. 

The greed!

3 hours ago, Consigliere said:

That's less about  capacity and more about whether the VIP guests coming from abroad will be exempt from the UK quarantine regulations

Archived