The Tokyo Olympic Games

As the last contest of these Olympic Games, to see who would top the Gold medals table, it came to the very last day - I for one was on the edge of my seat.

USA were 2 golds behind China coming into the final day in which they were competing for 5 golds versus China only competing for 2 golds. US were in two Boxing finals but when I saw that the opponents were an Uzbekistani and a Cuban I flagged those away as Silvers, which turned out to be the case. The Women's Basketball and Volleyball finals were favoured to the US and they both went to form, two Golds. The surprise was Jennifer Valente winning the Women's Omnium.
So Democracy 1, Communism 2 for this Olympics cycle :thumbsup:

Of course China will have a narrative for their netizens so will probably have Hong Kong's single Gold added to their tally. Dare they include Taiwan's 2 Golds?     

19 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Eat crow you salty bastards. 

:commie:U!:commie:S!:commie:A!:commie:

I have decided to count the number of disciplines that countries won medals in as how we judge the medal table. As team GB won medals in 25 different sports, we are the winners. In your face. 

I've just checked how well Serbia would do by that standard and I don't know how well we'd compare to others but our 9 medals (3 gold, 1 silver, 5 bronze) came in 7 different sports - taekwando, karate, water polo (gold), shooting (silver), volleyball, wrestling, 3x3 basketball (bronze). We only had taekwando (gold and bronze) and shooting (silver and bronze) with multiple medals. A lot of our athletes ended up fourth, most notably Djokovic, which could've added a couple of more sports. A pretty good spread, all things considered.

1 hour ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

San Marino sent 5 athletes, and 3 won medals. That's some world-class efficiency right there.

Especially because they didn't have a single medal in the Olympics before Tokyo games.

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I have decided to count the number of disciplines that countries won medals in as how we judge the medal table. As team GB won medals in 25 different sports, we are the winners. In your face. 

We still won the gold for WW2! You only got bronze.

France tripped at the start of the race. :P

I like the method of Gold and overall medals per capita.

Without officially checking, i'm thinking Jamaica's is up there in ranking. For Winter games Norway.

Eta: see San Marino must be a player under the per capita count as well

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I like the method of Gold and overall medals per capita.

Without officially checking, i'm thinking Jamaica's is up there in ranking. For Winter games Norway.

Eta: see San Marino must be a player under the per capita count as well

I believe Bermuda is top of golds per capita. San Marino might have beaten them on the overall medals per capita though

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

For Winter games Norway.

Fairly sure we own the WO, per capita or not. Get on our level, scrubs. B)

Spoiler

Aided and abetted by some significant bloat in cross country skiing events.

20 minutes ago, lacuna said:

Hide contents

I remember a few years ago a women's cross country relay where Norway 1 came first, Norway 2 came 2nd, Norway 3 came 3rd, then I think Finland snuck in 4th, and Norway 4 came 5th. 

As my sister married a Norwegian and used to live down the hill from Hollmenkollen, I live vicariously through them at the winter Olympics. 

1 hour ago, lacuna said:

Hide contents

I've read that Liechtenstein beats everyone per capita, 10 medals (all skiing) for 38000 people.

On 8/9/2021 at 8:11 AM, ithanos said:

As the last contest of these Olympic Games, to see who would top the Gold medals table, it came to the very last day - I for one was on the edge of my seat.

USA were 2 golds behind China coming into the final day in which they were competing for 5 golds versus China only competing for 2 golds. US were in two Boxing finals but when I saw that the opponents were an Uzbekistani and a Cuban I flagged those away as Silvers, which turned out to be the case. The Women's Basketball and Volleyball finals were favoured to the US and they both went to form, two Golds. The surprise was Jennifer Valente winning the Women's Omnium.
So Democracy 1, Communism 2 for this Olympics cycle :thumbsup:

Of course China will have a narrative for their netizens so will probably have Hong Kong's single Gold added to their tally. Dare they include Taiwan's 2 Golds?     

I was curious about that also, so I asked my Chinese wife to help me surf some Chinese language websites.  We only found reports of 38 gold medals for China.

Yes if it were extended to claimed territories(stspk) China would pick up 3 more Golds, 1 from HK and 2 from Taiwan, giving them 41 to the U.S. 40, who would no doubt count Puerto Rico"s 1 gold as theirs under such a dispute.

Best to let sleeping dogs lie than go down this road imo.

At the Prefontaine Classic (a race at the University of Oregon) later this month 6 of the 8 Tokyo 100 meter womans finals racers will face off.......plus ShaCarri Richardson (who tragically missed out on the Olympics) will be a 7th runner.

Pheww...hope the track doesn't ignite in flames, that's gonna be like a drag race or something!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2021/08/14/shacarri-richardson-racing-olympic-medalists-prefontaine-classic/8138734002/

On 8/15/2021 at 3:24 AM, DireWolfSpirit said:

At the Prefontaine Classic (a race at the University of Oregon) later this month 6 of the 8 Tokyo 100 meter womans finals racers will face off.......plus ShaCarri Richardson (who tragically missed out on the Olympics) will be a 7th runner.

Pheww...hope the track doesn't ignite in flames, that's gonna be like a drag race or something!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2021/08/14/shacarri-richardson-racing-olympic-medalists-prefontaine-classic/8138734002/

So the follow up on this is a little surprising that ShaCarri wasn't too competitive.

She finished last.

The Jamaicans, unsurprisingly, finished 1,2, and 3 though.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2021/08/21/shacarri-richardson-interview-race-finishes-ninth-prefontaine-classic/8231128002/

10 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

So the follow up on this is a little surprising that ShaCarri wasn't too competitive.

She finished last.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2021/08/21/shacarri-richardson-interview-race-finishes-ninth-prefontaine-classic/8231128002/

She ran like she had a smoke 5 mins before the start. 

11 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

She finished last.

Talk about sports with no margin for error.

56 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

She ran like she had a smoke 5 mins before the start. 

That's rather unnecessary. She could probably run 200m before you could run 100.

Archived