Standup Comedians - past, present, future

VigoTheCarpathian

32 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Has nobody mentioned Billy Connolly yet? For me, he's definitely one of the all time greats.

But he falls into the same trap as many others. What has he done in the last 30 years?  His prime was amazing though. 

2 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

But he falls into the same trap as many others. What has he done in the last 30 years?  

Sure. But if we're measuring each comedian by their generally acknowledged peaks, then Connolly is right, right up there. His storytelling skills elevated the material to such amazing heights. 

2 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

But he falls into the same trap as many others. What has he done in the last 30 years?  His prime was amazing though. 

Hmmm...maybe. but at the same time, what was he doing thirty years ago? How does it stand the test of time?  

Are we only talking Comics now? Or how they stack up over time?  I don't know much of Connolly's stand up, but he was funny in the one sitcom about the high-schoolers, and of course that movie about Victoria...

But why do people keep saying Carlin, Pryor, et. al?  Because what they did then is as impactful today as it was then...

1 minute ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Are we only talking Comics now? Or how they stack up over time? 

Well, Bill Hicks's transformation into Alex Jones has to go down as one of the all time greatest stand up routines.

4 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Hmmm...maybe. but at the same time, what was he doing thirty years ago? How does it stand the test of time?  

Every single 'comedian ranking' in the UK I've ever seen still has him has number 1. Even though he hasn't been funny for ever. He was riotous funny and incredibly infectious at his peak. 

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Well, Bill Hicks's transformation into Alex Jones has to go down as one of the all time greatest stand up routines.

His transition to a performance artist was a weird one, like a reverse Andy Kaufman.

That Mulaney bit was fantastic.  Here’s one from Patton that I think about at least once a week.

Miracle of Childbirth 

4 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Not sure if we can consider Julia L. Dreyfus as a stand up, but she's an outstanding comic imo, same for Larry David.

Well, they're both certainly better than Seinfeld, that's for sure.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Well, they're both certainly better than Seinfeld, that's for sure.

Larry On Hitler and Magicians

Seinfeld is kind of like Leno, no one seems to claim them as a favorite comic/think they were great, but they played one on TV and both were ridiculously successful and made/make a lot of money at corporate gigs by being middle-of-the-road funny.  

I have heard Seinfeld’s movie and book quoted a bunch by comics I admire, and appeared with him on CiCGC, so I think people admire him as a door opener or craftsman.  

I've fallen way more into long-form improv than outright stand-up for the past several years, and listen to a bunch of podcasts from the extended universe of UCB alumni (mostly LA, but some NY). Comedy Bang Bang being probably the most well-known, since it also had the ICF TV show for a while (which was a pretty different thing than the podcast).

There is some overlap between those folks and stand-ups (and some of them do stand-up as well, though they often aren't as good), and it's usually through those podcasts that I hear about the latest stand-ups. For instance it was from a Comedy Bang Bang episode back in 2011 or 2012 that I first heard John Mulaney; he was on it with Nick Kroll when they were still figuring out their "Oh Hello" characters.

I only rarely seek out stand-up specials though. And outside that bubble of UCB (which is a pretty big bubble actually), the only one I've seen recently has been Dave Chappelle. Who I like a lot, but has been turning into late stage George Carlin; where it's less about the jokes and more about making points.

Last stand-up I saw in person was at least 2 or 3 years pre-COVID; James Adomian was doing a set at a theater near me. And he's a guy who manages to be brilliant at both long-form improv and at stand-up; IMO.

In person, the best I've seen have been Maria Bamford in DC in 2009, Seinfeld 2005 in Hartford, and Jim Breuer's 2005 Bonnaroo set.

Breuer I've listened to since and didn't even laugh but his set was pretty well primed to the audience (lots of magic mushroom stuff).  Seinfeld, whose stuff I'd rarelydescribe as laugh out loud, and I generally think is over-rated, surprised me by having an insane control over the audience.  I swear people's breathing was synchronized by his monologues.  

Saw Lewis Black in 2003 and really dug it.

As far as all time make me laugh shit, in no particular order, Chapelle, Rock, Patton Oswalt, Carlin, Mitch Hedberg*, Jim Gaffigan, Joan Rivers.  Used to love Hicks dare say he was even my fave for years, but watched a couple things recently and it seemed sort of mean and even too jaded for me.  Haven't listened in a long time, but Cosby's chocolate cake for breakfast used to have me dying.  Same with Dane Cook's Kool-Aid man shit.  Can't really stand him other than that.  

I've watched some of the live shows of Last Podcast on the left, probably doesn't count for the same format but that might be as good as anything else I've seen.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Heh, I saw Lewis Black in 2003 as well - at American University.

I personally find this to be Lewis Black's best moment, and it has nothing to do with his act:

Also, maybe I'm a fool, but I want to know what The Big Fucking Thing actually is....

I know the pandemic hasn’t been awesome for regular standup (unless you’re in Texas or Florida and like gambling with illness), but the two specials I liked that came out of it were by Sam Morril (“Up on the Roof”, free here) and Bo Burnham (“Inside”, Netflix).

The latter is more of an art piece than standup, and I had to watch in like 20 min increments (and I am sure was discussed elsewhere on the site).  The former kind of felt like standup in the middle of the weird times, raw and nervous but still keeping it funny and going to great lengths to entertain people.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

The final Chapelle Netflix special “The Closer” is pretty fantastic - I thought some of the earlier ones were a little uneven, but now I want to return and watch therm back to back.

I know he's had some stick re some anti trans remarks, has what he said been overblown? 

Archived