Jump to content
Dead Anchor

What Jon Snow Should Have Done When He Received The Pink Letter

Recommended Posts

Let me start off by saying this, Jon Snow is a very restrained character. I agree that in the first novel, he does try to defect after he hear of Ned Stark's death, but after that Jon seems to keep his feelings for his family away till the Pink Letter arrives. I don't think Jon has a visible reaction to the Red Wedding but he does have one to Bran and Rickon seemingly dying at the hands of Theon Greyjoy. Even after the Red Wedding, Jon continues his political neutrality. But when the Pink Letter arrives, Jon throws his restraint away and gets himself killed(Yes, Jon is dead imo). What Jon should have done is rather, invited Ramsay to take back all the things he asked for by coming to the Wall and giving Ramsay battle rather than marching out to face Ramsay under the walls of Winterfell. This would be much more practical for a lot of reasons. One, it wouldn't be viewed by the other officers of the Night's Watch as a break in their political neutrality as an invitation to Castle Black can interpreted in several different ways depending on how Jon writes it.  Second, a long march to the Wall would take a toll on Ramsay's host reducing his numbers to equal Jon's. Third of all, Jon knows the area of the Gift way better than Ramsay does. The Dreadfort is south of Winterfell so Ramsay has no exposure to the area of the Gift. This way, Jon could have easily destroyed the attacking Bolton army, getting his revenge on the Boltons and Freys for the Red Wedding. Although, if Jon did take this course of action, it would be counterproductive to Stannis's plans as I think Stannis will use Lightbringer to convince the Boltons that he is dead and will have Manderly men open the gates of Winterfell for him. Anyway, this was just my thinking to how Jon should have reacted to the Pink Letter(which was written by Ramsay). How do you guys think Jon will be resurrected(if he is at all?), and what will he do after his resurrection? My guess is that he will lead the ranging to Hardhome to try and combat the Others from gaining more wights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dead Anchor said:

Let me start off by saying this, Jon Snow is a very restrained character. I agree that in the first novel, he does try to defect after he hear of Ned Stark's death, but after that Jon seems to keep his feelings for his family away till the Pink Letter arrives. I don't think Jon has a visible reaction to the Red Wedding but he does have one to Bran and Rickon seemingly dying at the hands of Theon Greyjoy. Even after the Red Wedding, Jon continues his political neutrality. But when the Pink Letter arrives, Jon throws his restraint away and gets himself killed(Yes, Jon is dead imo). What Jon should have done is rather, invited Ramsay to take back all the things he asked for by coming to the Wall and giving Ramsay battle rather than marching out to face Ramsay under the walls of Winterfell. This would be much more practical for a lot of reasons. One, it wouldn't be viewed by the other officers of the Night's Watch as a break in their political neutrality as an invitation to Castle Black can interpreted in several different ways depending on how Jon writes it.  Second, a long march to the Wall would take a toll on Ramsay's host reducing his numbers to equal Jon's. Third of all, Jon knows the area of the Gift way better than Ramsay does. The Dreadfort is south of Winterfell so Ramsay has no exposure to the area of the Gift. This way, Jon could have easily destroyed the attacking Bolton army, getting his revenge on the Boltons and Freys for the Red Wedding. Although, if Jon did take this course of action, it would be counterproductive to Stannis's plans as I think Stannis will use Lightbringer to convince the Boltons that he is dead and will have Manderly men open the gates of Winterfell for him. Anyway, this was just my thinking to how Jon should have reacted to the Pink Letter(which was written by Ramsay). How do you guys think Jon will be resurrected(if he is at all?), and what will he do after his resurrection? My guess is that he will lead the ranging to Hardhome to try and combat the Others from gaining more wights.

He should have written a letter as well to the iron throne. By this time kevan would be ruling as hand. If they order ramsay to stop he has to stop.

OR

He could have fortified the wall from the south, sent Mel,Shireen etc to nigjtfort and faced ramsay

But Jon is the most foolish ruler of all time right he doesn’t have common sense. He’s an oath breaker in himself.  So he didn’t do those things and got himself killed, just like ned stark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Dead Anchor said:

Let me start off by saying this, Jon Snow is a very restrained character. I agree that in the first novel, he does try to defect after he hear of Ned Stark's death, but after that Jon seems to keep his feelings for his family away till the Pink Letter arrives. I don't think Jon has a visible reaction to the Red Wedding but he does have one to Bran and Rickon seemingly dying at the hands of Theon Greyjoy. Even after the Red Wedding, Jon continues his political neutrality. But when the Pink Letter arrives, Jon throws his restraint away and gets himself killed(Yes, Jon is dead imo). What Jon should have done is rather, invited Ramsay to take back all the things he asked for by coming to the Wall and giving Ramsay battle rather than marching out to face Ramsay under the walls of Winterfell. This would be much more practical for a lot of reasons. One, it wouldn't be viewed by the other officers of the Night's Watch as a break in their political neutrality as an invitation to Castle Black can interpreted in several different ways depending on how Jon writes it.  Second, a long march to the Wall would take a toll on Ramsay's host reducing his numbers to equal Jon's. Third of all, Jon knows the area of the Gift way better than Ramsay does. The Dreadfort is south of Winterfell so Ramsay has no exposure to the area of the Gift. This way, Jon could have easily destroyed the attacking Bolton army, getting his revenge on the Boltons and Freys for the Red Wedding. Although, if Jon did take this course of action, it would be counterproductive to Stannis's plans as I think Stannis will use Lightbringer to convince the Boltons that he is dead and will have Manderly men open the gates of Winterfell for him. Anyway, this was just my thinking to how Jon should have reacted to the Pink Letter(which was written by Ramsay). How do you guys think Jon will be resurrected(if he is at all?), and what will he do after his resurrection? My guess is that he will lead the ranging to Hardhome to try and combat the Others from gaining more wights.

I want you to remember that the reason the pink letter happened to begin with was Jon's fault. He never should have stuck his chin in the Bolton's political affairs. The pink letter exposed Jon's attempts to pull Arya away from Ramsay. It exposed him for a liar and a fraud. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinda have to agree with @Moiraine Sedai. Jon should've either taken Stannis up on his offer to be Lord of Winterfell or stayed out of it completely and stayed true to the Nights Watch. His lukewarm attempt to do both is what prompted the Pink Letter contributed to the Ides of Marsh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

I want you to remember that the reason the pink letter happened to begin with was Jon's fault. He never should have stuck his chin in the Bolton's political affairs. The pink letter exposed Jon's attempts to pull Arya away from Ramsay. It exposed him for a liar and a fraud. 

 

 

 

@Moiraine SedaiAre you talking about Mance Rayder? Jon can claim that he never knew about Rayder being alive just like Stannis didn't. Also that was Melisandre's attempt not Jon's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jon cannot make such a claim. He is the lord commander who sent Mance Rayder to get his sister. The Boltons have the wildlings in custody and made them talk. Jon got caught doing something illegal. 
 
To answer the question, it was too late. Jon’s plans fell apart when the wildlings were caught. Jon was going to make the situation worse until the other men stopped him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Brynden"Bloodraven" Rivers said:

All I can say, why are so many people Stark haters on this forum? Jon is one of the best characters, best example of being torn to duty and family. Only better character is Tyrion IMO:dunno:

Jon is a an oathbreaker, the biggest one in the history if the nights watch. Look at dany, she accomplished a peace and abolished slavery and look at Jon the oathbreaker, he allowed wildlings whose culture means raping woman south of the wall. He also tried to starve them

I don't hate all the starks, I only hate these three, oathbreaker ned, oathbreaker robb and oathbreaker Jon. 

Tyrion is a rapist who poisons his own sister and dreams of raping her. He also raped his own wife. Any character is better than these two. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

Jon is a an oathbreaker, the biggest one in the history if the nights watch. Look at dany, she accomplished a peace and abolished slavery and look at Jon the oathbreaker, he allowed wildlings whose culture means raping woman south of the wall. He also tried to starve them

I don't hate all the starks, I only hate these three, oathbreaker ned, oathbreaker robb and oathbreaker Jon. 

Tyrion is a rapist who poisons his own sister and dreams of raping her. He also raped his own wife. Any character is better than these two. 

Damn, wildling culture is grossly exaggerated by southrons. Also, Jon let the wildings south of the wall because he realized they were people too. He also couldn’t let all those people die to the Others and become corpse food. Jon accomplishes relative peace on the Wall even if it is an uneasy alliance between wildling chieftains and officers of the Night’s Watch. The Wildlings even agree to rescue their kind from Hardhome and a lot of them enlist to man the Wall. Dany is quite the opposite of that. She came into power a very bloody way, executing all of Mereen’s leadership and throwing the city into political chaos. There was immediately a bloody revolution against her and her attempts at peace undo everything that she has accomplished. Jon only acts really foolish in the end of DwD but Dany just makes bad decision after bad decision by deciding to sleep with Daario, letting the Yunkish threat persist when she could have joined forces or at least sent a token force to help Cleon   conquer Yunkai, and then making peace with the Yunkai which undoes all of her anti slavery work in like 2 months tops. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Brynden"Bloodraven" Rivers said:

All I can say, why are so many people Stark haters on this forum? Jon is one of the best characters, best example of being torn to duty and family. Only better character is Tyrion IMO:dunno:

All likes and dislikes are subjective. I have my favorites and the characters I'm less fond of to be sure. For example Jon IMO is kind of just bland as a character despite being in one of the more interesting situations in the novels. Regardless I can't say I'm earnest enough in my dislikes to actively advocate against a set of fictional characters. Most of Jon's mistakes can be attributed to being young and thrown into a situation he shouldn't have with leading the Night's Watch. None of which means he's a bad person. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brynden"Bloodraven" Rivers said:

Damn, wildling culture is grossly exaggerated by southrons. Also, Jon let the wildings south of the wall because he realized they were people too. He also couldn’t let all those people die to the Others and become corpse food. Jon accomplishes relative peace on the Wall even if it is an uneasy alliance between wildling chieftains and officers of the Night’s Watch. The Wildlings even agree to rescue their kind from Hardhome and a lot of them enlist to man the Wall. Dany is quite the opposite of that. She came into power a very bloody way, executing all of Mereen’s leadership and throwing the city into political chaos. There was immediately a bloody revolution against her and her attempts at peace undo everything that she has accomplished. Jon only acts really foolish in the end of DwD but Dany just makes bad decision after bad decision by deciding to sleep with Daario, letting the Yunkish threat persist when she could have joined forces or at least sent a token force to help Cleon   conquer Yunkai, and then making peace with the Yunkai which undoes all of her anti slavery work in like 2 months tops. 

Grossly exaggerated, they have a rapist culture it's a fact stated by tormund giantsbane. It may seem brave and masculine to the men but I wouldn't want to be the woman raped by him. 

Dany did all the correct things, the only mistake was that she didn't kill all the masters. They practiced slavery, slavery is one of the worst crimes IMO. Supporting cleon the butcher is the worst things anyone can do. That peace was needed or else the yunkai would have conquered meereen. She was going to free the slaves in yunkai as well, she just flew away on drogon. 

Dany freed slaves and ended the horrid practice of slavery by her own wish, Jon saved wildlings as part of a war strategy against the others. Comparing Jon to dany is useless. Jon is not even worthy to lick day's feet

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

All likes and dislikes are subjective. I have my favorites and the characters I'm less fond of to be sure. For example Jon IMO is kind of just bland as a character despite being in one of the more interesting situations in the novels. Regardless I can't say I'm earnest enough in my dislikes to actively advocate against a set of fictional characters. Most of Jon's mistakes can be attributed to being young and thrown into a situation he shouldn't have with leading the Night's Watch. None of which means he's a bad person. 

You're right though it is kind of hard to symphatize with Jon since he's a bully. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He could do as the letter asked him to do to avoid further conflict.  At least give the Boltons as much as he could give them and then explain the demands which he cannot satisfy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, there's not much he could do.

The best option was for him to keep the contents of the letter private, send letters to King's Landing and Winterfell "explaining" the situation (re: telling half-truths and relying on plausible deniability) and stay put.

Sending away Melisandre and the Baratheon court is a bad idea. Marching out against the Boltons with a wildling army is an even worse idea.

Just stay put.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Brynden"Bloodraven" Rivers said:

@Moiraine SedaiAre you talking about Mance Rayder? Jon can claim that he never knew about Rayder being alive just like Stannis didn't. Also that was Melisandre's attempt not Jon's. 

Yes. He spared Mance from punishment because he had personal uses for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Daenerysthegreat Tyrion has no fault in what happened to Tysha Tywin is at fault he is the one who forced him a 13 boy to do so there was no chance for him to say no the Lannister family was an authoritarian household where he got kids to do what he wanted 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

Grossly exaggerated, they have a rapist culture it's a fact stated by tormund giantsbane. It may seem brave and masculine to the men but I wouldn't want to be the woman raped by him. 

Dany did all the correct things, the only mistake was that she didn't kill all the masters. They practiced slavery, slavery is one of the worst crimes IMO. Supporting cleon the butcher is the worst things anyone can do. That peace was needed or else the yunkai would have conquered meereen. She was going to free the slaves in yunkai as well, she just flew away on drogon. 

Dany freed slaves and ended the horrid practice of slavery by her own wish, Jon saved wildlings as part of a war strategy against the others. Comparing Jon to dany is useless. Jon is not even worthy to lick day's feet

 

Dany also freed slaves to help her campaign against Westeros. A lot of her so called “free men” serve in sellsword companies and in her army.Also, I’m pretty sure Jon makes Tormund’s people swear to follow the king’s law and takes hostages to ensure it. Dany could have just sent her unsullied to help cleon destroy Yunkai to prevent the yunkish from gaining strength/hiring sell swords. This could have prevented the bloody flux and pale mare from spreading through slaver’s bay and the sack of Astapor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

Jon is a an oathbreaker, the biggest one in the history if the nights watch. Look at dany, she accomplished a peace and abolished slavery and look at Jon the oathbreaker, he allowed wildlings whose culture means raping woman south of the wall. He also tried to starve them

 

Dany is my favorite character in both books and show, but even I can't say that she accomplished a peace and abolished slavery. That's basically what her story is in ADWD. 

On 9/20/2021 at 5:01 PM, Moiraine Sedai said:

I want you to remember that the reason the pink letter happened to begin with was Jon's fault. He never should have stuck his chin in the Bolton's political affairs. The pink letter exposed Jon's attempts to pull Arya away from Ramsay. It exposed him for a liar and a fraud. 

 

You can't blame him.....he thought his little sister, who he loves, is being sold to a creep, the son of the man who betrayed Robb. I'd do the same thing. And she's only eleven, too. The only people I recall being married at that age were Lady Aemma Arryn and Unwin Peake's daughter (who is giving birth at age twelve).

On 9/20/2021 at 7:41 PM, Lord Lannister said:

Kinda have to agree with @Moiraine Sedai. Jon should've either taken Stannis up on his offer to be Lord of Winterfell or stayed out of it completely and stayed true to the Nights Watch. His lukewarm attempt to do both is what prompted the Pink Letter contributed to the Ides of Marsh. 

:agree:. Ides of Marsh, LMAO. 

Edited by Jaenara Belarys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

Dany is my favorite character in both books and show, but even I can't say that she accomplished a peace and abolished slavery. That's basically what her story is in ADWD. 

Finally, someone who is not a diehard insane Dany fan. Daenerys is a good character but not the best. She is very naive, unexperienced and foolish. (Daario Naaharis, ahem, ahem)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...