Football: Rangnick past me again

polishgenius

3 hours ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

Wouldn't mind Suarez going to Villa as reported. Surely Atleti will be less painful to play in CL without him.

Eh Suarez has been pretty weak in CL for years and looks completely past it this season in general. Probably better for Atleti if he’s not starting 

Am I going mad, or, when recently discussing the rescheduling of all these cancelled fixtures, did I allow someone to correct me with regards to the commencement of the World Cup in Qatar?

I said it was this winter, but someone said it was next year. Whoever that was was wrong. 

48 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

According to Transfermarkt he has 2 appearances and 1 yellow card. Not that it has to mean anything.

There is speculation that is in fact Xhaka who is being investigated. He condceded a yellow for time wasting against Leeds. I really hope it's him, and that we never see him in the shirt again. 

ETA:

Bye, bye. Dickhead. 

8 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

There is speculation that is in, in fact, Xhaka who is being investigated. He condceded a yellow for time wasting against Leeds. I really hope it's him, and that we never see him in the shirt again. 

I dunno how they come by this info but a weird bet on that card was flagged by some betting twitter account at the time.

29 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Am I going mad, or, when recently discussing the rescheduling of all these cancelled fixtures, did I allow someone to correct me with regards to the commencement of the World Cup in Qatar?

I said it was this winter, but someone said it was next year. Whoever that was was wrong. 

How so? I said this is a problem for next season, which it is.

World Cup starts end of November.

3 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Wut? Those postponed games need to be played this season, not next. 

Precisely. So the World Cup in Qatar has zero relevance to the post ponements this season. Apart from the remaining qualifiers (play-offs) needed to be played. 

Next season the World Cup can cause some real headaches, if we see another wave (no pun intended) of post poned games then. But that's a problem for next season.

5 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I guess I was talking about an inability to extend this season due to the WC being in November. Either way, there is very little wiggle room.

You can extend this season, to a certain degree. Obviously not infintely. End of May is the CL. Which is traditionally the final event in European club football. You have the FA cup final two weeks earlier. The question is, which teams willl have to play games by then. Arsenal could play catch up on their fixture list on European nights or while other clubs play in the FA cup. If City were hit by a bunch of post-ponements things could get a bit more tricky. As in they are still playing in the CL and in the FA cup. The postponements can conceivably create another problem. Let's say there's just one game, that couldn't be fit in anywhere, one of the involved teams needs a win to avoid relegation, or to qualify for the CL, while the other team is playing for nothing. Being four points off from a higher finish, and at least one point clear from the next team. Or a situation, where both teams just need one point to safe their season. That could get super awkward.

Meanwhile Bundesliga clubs are dropping out of the German Cup left and right.

Yesterday Köln lost in tragic-comical way in the penalty shoot out. Check it out on youtube, Kainz penalty and why it didn't count. 

We took care of Dortmund as mentioned earlier.

And today Hannover 96 eliminated a rather disappointin Gladbach. 

Redbull had little problem eliminating Rostock and are now the favorite to win the competition.

Union are having in their city derby against Hertha. And Freiburg are making short work of Hoffenheim.

So the teams in the quarter final will be.

RedBull, Freiburg, Union, Bochum (Bundesliga), St. Pauli, H$V, Karlsruhe, Hannover (Bundesliga 2). Last team out of those 8 that won the cup was Hannover in 1992. Yes, the H$V has also won the trophy in the past last time in 1987.  Karlsruhe apparently won it back in the 1950s. The five other teams have never won it.

Fun side note. We have a positive score against effing RedBull.  Let's see, who we draw. Apart from fucking RedBull there are really no heavy weights left this year. It's also the first time in over a decade, that neither Bayern, nor Dortmund will be in the final.

Archived