NFL 2022 Playoffs: What Is Dead May Never Die

Mr. Chatywin et al.

7 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

10 hours is a lot, but in general you would review previous experiences, talk about cultural fit, workplace goals, present your plan for the organization and system, talk about how you'll be hiring others, have a timeline for doing the above. It's less an interview and more about selling a business case and vision.

All of which can be done in a few hours. After that it's just diminishing returns and a waste of everyone's time. Frankly the only reason to interview someone for that long, in the context of the NFL, is when you know you're not going to hire the individual but think you can gain some type of knowledge you felt you were missing. 

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

All of which can be done in a few hours.

It really can't, not if you're talking serious business proposals and in depth questioning.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

After that it's just diminishing returns and a waste of everyone's time. Frankly the only reason to interview someone for that long, in the context of the NFL, is when you know you're not going to hire the individual but think you can gain some type of knowledge you felt you were missing. 

That might be true for getting a job at Dennys. 

4 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

It really can't, not if you're talking serious business proposals and in depth questioning.

It certainly can be done if you're concise. Each thing you listed only requires thirty minutes to an hour, and much of it can be done in less than that amount of time. And keep in mind the interviewer probably knows whether or not they're going to hire you before the interview takes place.

That might be true for getting a job at Dennys. 

Not sure what you're getting at here, but I've heard executives openly talk about how they conduct really long interviews for no reason other than to learn what other organizations are doing without any intent to hire the person. And this is not unique to sports.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It certainly can be done if you're concise. Each thing you listed only requires thirty minutes to an hour, and much of it can be done in less than that amount of time. And keep in mind the interviewer probably knows whether or not they're going to hire you before the interview takes place.

Yes, shitty processes result in shitty outcomes

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not sure what you're getting at here, but I've heard executives openly talk about how they conduct really long interviews for no reason other than to learn what other organizations are doing without any intent to hire the person. And this is not unique to sports.

I'm sure that does happen, but I don't think there's a crazy amount of value in an owner finding out how other teams are doing things at the head coaching level.

10 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

All of which can be done in a few hours. After that it's just diminishing returns and a waste of everyone's time. Frankly the only reason to interview someone for that long, in the context of the NFL, is when you know you're not going to hire the individual but think you can gain some type of knowledge you felt you were missing. 

It kind of depends what is being defined as interview time. If he's just sat there in front of an interview panel answering questions I'd agree that 10 hours seems more than a little excessive. On the other hand presumably he'd be in Miami for at least a day. So a few hours in a formal interview setting and then, say, showing him around the facilities and getting to know him in a more informal environment for a few more hours doesn't seem unreasonable.

11 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I kind of feel bad for the guy because this is going to be awkward.

I made the mistake of looking at the comments in response to Schefter's tweet about the hire.  My favorite was the guy who says he is biracial in his profile saying "The blizzard of white coaching hires in the NFL continues."  To his credit, once it was pointed out that McDaniel is biracial just like him... he did reply with "Guess I owned myself."  :lol: 

12 hours ago, Kalibuster said:

I'm sure that does happen, but I don't think there's a crazy amount of value in an owner finding out how other teams are doing things at the head coaching level.

They do it for front office hires as well, and a HC can give you a lot of insight into how the organizations they're coming from do things.

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

It kind of depends what is being defined as interview time. If he's just sat there in front of an interview panel answering questions I'd agree that 10 hours seems more than a little excessive. On the other hand presumably he'd be in Miami for at least a day. So a few hours in a formal interview setting and then, say, showing him around the facilities and getting to know him in a more informal environment for a few more hours doesn't seem unreasonable.

I suspect that's what actually happens in most cases, so why not just say it? Feels like teams are overcompensating by exaggerating just how long the actual interviews are.

10 hours for a HC position doesn't seem all that long IMO.  We conduct 4 hour interviews for interns and for years we had an 8 hour process for hiring managers and above.  An NFL HC position seems like there should be at least a full day per candidate with multiple 1:1 interviews, 1-2 hours for lunch, some group discussions.... 10 hours honestly feels a little short.

NFL head coach is also a job that is actually overseeing many, many jobs.  A team could (if they wanted to) very realistically spend an hour talking about just special teams.  Or just player development.  Or how to manage their coaching staff.  Or how to generate pass rush with the personnel they have in place.  There's no shortage of things to cover. 

1 hour ago, aceluby said:

10 hours for a HC position doesn't seem all that long IMO.  We conduct 4 hour interviews for interns and for years we had an 8 hour process for hiring managers and above.  An NFL HC position seems like there should be at least a full day per candidate with multiple 1:1 interviews, 1-2 hours for lunch, some group discussions.... 10 hours honestly feels a little short.

Four hours for an intern? The US Navy didn’t interview me for four hours to be a candidate for OCS to become an intelligence officer, and over the course of several interviews they basically asked me the same set of questions over and over again. It could have been done in half the time.

And in this specific instance the Dolphins are saying they knew they were going to hire him after the first 50 minute zoom call.

Deleting all this stuff. No need to re-litigate the Chiefs game.

One statement on the coaching staff. They have created one of the tightest locker rooms in the NFL and when 52 guys play for each other, believe in each other, radiate confidence at every level, good things happen and that's down to the coaching staff and to Duke Tobin who drafted/brought in the right kinds of players. This shouldn't be an underestimated factor to their luck-filled success.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Four hours for an intern? The US Navy didn’t interview me for four hours to be a candidate for OCS to become an intelligence officer, 

Bad processes produce bad outcomes

On this job interview thing - when we have job candidates for tenure track positions the entire day would be scheduled.  They'd have breakfast with grad students, lunch and dinner with faculty, interviews with specific faculty throughout the day, tour of the campus, time set aside to meet all the grad students, and of course a presentation where all faculty and grad students can attend of something they're working on.  The entire day is scheduled from about 8 am to 7 pm.  If poly sci departments do this...

1 minute ago, DMC said:

On this job interview thing - when we have job candidates for tenure track positions the entire day would be scheduled.  They'd have breakfast with grad students, lunch and dinner with faculty, interviews with specific faculty throughout the day, tour of the campus, time set aside to meet all the grad students, and of course a presentation where all faculty and grad students can attend of something they're working on.  The entire day is scheduled from about 8 am to 7 pm.  If poly sci departments do this...

Yeah, but you should just know in the first 30 min if you're gonna tenure them

especially if you look at their youtube channel

So the Texans fired David Culley, a guy who exceeded expectations coaching the NFL's most talent-depleted roster last year, in order to hire a different guy in his sixties who is a career .500 coach with almost 200 games coached.  

Seems smart.

18 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

Yeah, but you should just know in the first 30 min if you're gonna tenure them

especially if you look at their youtube channel

Well, tenure track positions don't mean you instantly get tenure, that's usually about 4-5 years down the line.  But yeah, if they have a youtube channel, that's probably a bad sign.

Archived