UK Politics - Bluff and Bluster

Which Tyler

37 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

You saw it as a training issue. It is an inherent problem of the enforcer caste that can't be solved only reduced by making a lot of things like drugs none of their damn business imo.

When compared to the evil that was the Everard murder. 

Lack of training and officer development are one of the biggest issues we have with officers not understanding the boundaries of their role, which is what leads to abuses of power.

On the drugs thing we can agree. 

Just now, Luzifer's right hand said:

You saw it as a training issue. It is an inherent problem of the enforcer caste that can't be solved only reduced by making a lot of things like drugs none of their damn business imo.

Indeed. The fact that this was done over 'the smell of weed', is fucking outrageous. Especially when the House of Commons is literally covered in gak.

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Indeed. The fact that this was done over 'the smell of weed', is fucking outrageous. Especially when the House of Commons is literally covered in gak.

Which is a further issue. Guidance is that stop and search based on smell of cannabis alone is not considered to meet the 'reasonable grounds' threshold. 

8 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Which is a further issue. Stop and search based on smell of cannabis alone is not considered to meet the 'reasonable grounds' threshold. 

Yet still she was stripped.

Police routinely use cannabis use, either real or 'imagined', as a way of abusing citizens. And if Keir Starmer is serious about rooting out racism in the force, one of the first things he should do is legalize it.

I mean, the racist pyschos amongst you will be upset at losing one of their favourite tools of oppression, but the good guys, like yourself, will no doubt be rejoicing.

And then you can come round mine and I will show you the meaning of marijuana. :hat:

8 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Yet still she was stripped.

Police routinely see cannabis use, either real or 'imagined', as a way of abusing citizens. And if Keir Starmer is serious about addressing racism in the police, one of the first things he should do is legalize it.

I'm not denying it wasn't appaling. But the level of fuck up at every stage from knowledge of the law to probable/possible racism/abuse of position are all things that can be addressed with much better training and development of officers. 

Though another consideration is that police entry pay is so bad now that you do get a much lower quality of candidate than previously and some of them are just fuck ups plain and simple. 

As for legalizing/decriminalising weed, who is even against that nowadays?  Genuinely, I have no idea. 

6 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

And then you can come round mine and I will show you the meaning of marijuana. :hat:

If you are growing weed using kit that NASA might be interested in, it would probably be a bit much for my delicate disposition 

Agreed it was indefensible, but I don't see that "Serving Metropolitan Police Inspector dismisses ChildQ incident as Training Issue" in the linked article. After some recent comments by policemen who should have known better I can believe it, but might it just have been taken out of context? After all, some serious training is clearly needed.

Edit: sorry, missed later posts. Again. :bang:

7 minutes ago, A wilding said:

Agreed it was indefensible, but I don't see that "Serving Metropolitan Police Inspector dismisses ChildQ incident as Training Issue" in the linked article. After some recent comments by policemen who should have known better I can believe it, but might it just have been taken out of context? After all, some serious training is clearly needed.

He was quoting me (out of context). 

Bizarre stuff today with P&O Ferries sacking 800 workers in just about the most brutal way possible. I can understand that they might have needed to let staff go with the general downturn in international travel but are they really saving money by telling customers not to turn up because they're cancelling all their services and hiring security teams to drag workers off their ferries rather than just going through a normal consultation process? It just seems intentionally cruel for no reason. I certainly will be making the point not to use P&O if I'm ever getting a ferry from now on.

7 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Bizarre stuff today with P&O Ferries sacking 800 workers in just about the most brutal way possible. I can understand that they might have needed to let staff go with the general downturn in international travel but are they really saving money by telling customers not to turn up because they're cancelling all their services and hiring security teams to drag workers off their ferries rather than just going through a normal consultation process? It just seems intentionally cruel for no reason. I certainly will be making the point not to use P&O if I'm ever getting a ferry from now on.

It's just inviting a boycott really.
But not a Geoff - wouldn't wish that on anyone... well, maybe Putin...

To be fair, I don't think I've ever seen a Conservative minister so genuinely angry as he was about the P&O fiasco, and seeing him eager to consult the unions on how to proceed, was refreshing.

3 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Their behaviour was absolutely disgusting, they deserve to go out of business imo.

Been waiting over a year for my new driving photocard licence to be processed. Then I wake up to this....

The Times sent one of their reporters undercover into the DVLA. This is what they found:

We have never had such a useless bunch of incompetents running this country. What a joke.

9 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

You're still waiting for yours!?! I did mine last year too, and while it took a really long time, the webpage they had showing received dates that were currently being processed was accurate.

Aye. Last update I had from them was in July. They told me another four to six weeks. And seeing as it takes about an hour of waiting on their queuing system to get through, I can't be arsed to chase them. I've tried that webpage, but it doesn't recognise my application details.

It's not the end of the world. My licence is still valid, it's just the photo that needs updating. Enterprise did refuse to let me hire a car because of it, though.

Archived