Video Games - Storage Space Blues

Rhom

Tried out that Duke Nukem Forever leak from a few days ago. Oh boy is it not really playable. There's content there, but it's just kinda...there. But I don't think it would be correct to call it "playable". Explorable, yes, but that's...really about it.

In the meantime, have managed to get Dungeon Siege and its associated DLCs to finally work in 1920x1080. The engine does a great job of how it handles player characters in complex environments. With HD textures and a few fan patches, the game becomes highly playable on modern systems.

On 5/14/2022 at 1:57 PM, Fez said:

I picked up the latest 40K game, Chaos Gate: Deamonhunters. It's an XCOM-like, but so far a really solid one, just like a lot of the reviews hinted at. And it has some unique spins on the formula, like having 3AP per unit, a 100% hit chance on enemies in range, and your units will recover from being downed after a couple turns; all of which helps make your units feel more space marines. Although the lengthy recovery times they sometimes have after missions counters that. The game rewards aggressive play, so in that sense in feels like Gears Tactics. However, it, smartly, has a tactical layer too (which GT didn't) to help break things up. So far it doesn't seem as complicated as XCOM's, but there are at least some choices to make.

As another note on this, the game is hard; really hard, even on normal. The first couple missions are easy but then it's just a cliff (with a handful of randomly easy missions here and there after that). I'm regularly struggling to field a full team of non-wounded marines. The biggest issue is that the AI is very diligent about setting up overwatch every turn and that can be hard to overcome. Also healing is very limited, at least at first, and wounded marines take a long time to recover after missions. But it is fun.

Yesterday, I found the Cow Level in Diablo 3.

The cow level is NOT a lie, folks.

I repeat: the cow level is n--

*is muffled by parachuting ASIO agents and taken to a secure facility*

14 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I got Rain World. This... isn't gonna be easy is it. 

I saw this post and looked the game up and in a review it says...

"However, it strives past the notion that gaming experiences have to be fun..."
On 5/16/2022 at 7:09 PM, IlyaP said:

(Dark Souls 3)...it's a recipe for disaster and frustration/irritation...

It sure is. I remember when I was still trying to play Dark Souls and just refused to admit that I didn't like hard games. I would spend six hours getting my ass kicked by one guy and then sweep up the shattered controllers and go to bed. I thought I must be missing something. NOPE. I read online all these Dark Souls fans talking about how that was how the games were and isn't it great and git gud. I talked to a guy who told me about the sense of accomplishment he felt after beating a hard boss or mini-boss in Dark Souls. But I could only play once a week and so that sense of accomplishment was actually wasting my entire week's gaming in a single hallway or single courtyard fighting one guy over and over and trying not to throw the console out the window and light myself on fire. It took a while before I realized I didn't have to play hard games if I didn't want to.

Which brings us to last night where I continued to follow doctor's orders and play WoW. I have been questing with my warlock...who is near indestructible much of the time...and upgrading my garrison for no real reason. 

5 minutes ago, Inkdaub said:

I saw this post and looked the game up and in a review it says...

"However, it strives past the notion that gaming experiences have to be fun..."

Yeah I mean I'm quite enjoying it so far- early doors, but playing is like... it tells you the basic controls and one kind of food, and nothing else, and then it sends you out into the world, you see a green lizard and it kills you. You respawn, find a spear, go face off against the next lizard you see and it kills you. The lizard can't clime poles, so next time you see one you avoid it by climbing but it uses tunnels to get above you anyway, drops on your head and then kills you. Eventually you work out enough to avoid them long enough to survive a bit, but then it rains and you're not near a shelter so it kills you. Okay, next time you survive long enough and do find a shelter which helps you survive the rain and go up a level... and then you go out, see a pink lizard so you climb up a pole... so it follows you up and then kills you.

Killing you, by the way, drops your level back down one unless you've found a specific item which protects your karma (which the game in no way tells you about). 

18 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

drops on your head and then kills you

Yeah it actually looks pretty interesting. I just love the phrasing used in that review and I guarantee I will find some way to use it in rl and pass it off as my own. I love that we as people can talk ourselves into anything.

When it comes to non-sequitur moments in gaming, the bit where the first Weapon in FF7 just gets itself killed for no reason remains one of the very best.

The fact there are more Weapons and the game is bizarrely vague about this fact until later on also remains weird, a victim of both FF7's infamously crap translation and the fact that most of the other Weapons were added to the game to fight in the international edition.

Steam Deck came today. So a week after I completed the purchase. I checked it out everything seems fine. Gonna install Cyber Punk on it as that's the most recent 3D game I own. Make sure it doesn't burst into flames or anything.

12 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Steam Deck came today. So a week after I completed the purchase. I checked it out everything seems fine. Gonna install Cyber Punk on it as that's the most recent 3D game I own. Make sure it doesn't burst into flames or anything.

It runs quite well from videos I've seen (there' some Youtube videos suggesting dumping the default settings and tweaking them). 30 FPS easy, and I've seen people hitting 50+FPS while driving around in Night City.

51 minutes ago, RumHam said:

38 minutes ago, Ran said:

It runs quite well from videos I've seen (there' some Youtube videos suggesting dumping the default settings and tweaking them). 30 FPS easy, and I've seen people hitting 50+FPS while driving around in Night City.

I am still in the very early stages of really playing games on my PC.  I actually grabbed a couple games on sale on Steam with the intent of being able to play them on the Deck at some point.

I will fully admit to being intimidated by anything I read about doing things on the Deck.  The subreddit for it especially is intimidating.  When you say "dumping the default settings" I really start to worry that I won't know how to do things.  The plug and play ability of console gaming has always been a comfortable place for me.  I have several games on GoG that I would like to be able to play, but I don't know if that requires that I go outside of the Linux based interface to get those.  Reading about Proton builds to get other non-steam games to work also terrifies me.  

4 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I am still in the very early stages of really playing games on my PC.  I actually grabbed a couple games on sale on Steam with the intent of being able to play them on the Deck at some point.

I will fully admit to being intimidated by anything I read about doing things on the Deck.  The subreddit for it especially is intimidating.  When you say "dumping the default settings" I really start to worry that I won't know how to do things.  The plug and play ability of console gaming has always been a comfortable place for me.  I have several games on GoG that I would like to be able to play, but I don't know if that requires that I go outside of the Linux based interface to get those.  Reading about Proton builds to get other non-steam games to work also terrifies me.  

You'll figure it out. He just means not using the default settings. each game has an option where you can use community settings. Like I can make a controller configuration that I think works best and upload it, and you could then download it. For older games that aren't being updated anymore I think this is going to be the best way to get optimal controls and settings.

If you're fine just playing steam games, it's all very straightforward. Even if you want to do emulators you can just download RetroArch on steam and then copy roms to an SD card or send them over your network.

11 minutes ago, RumHam said:

You'll figure it out. He just means not using the default settings. each game has an option where you can use community settings. Like I can make a controller configuration that I think works best and upload it, and you could then download it. For older games that aren't being updated anymore I think this is going to be the best way to get optimal controls and settings.

If you're fine just playing steam games, it's all very straightforward. Even if you want to do emulators you can just download RetroArch on steam and then copy roms to an SD card or send them over your network.

Any perspective you can give me on how GoG or Epic Store works?  Is that something that has to run within Proton?

17 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Any perspective you can give me on how GoG or Epic Store works?  Is that something that has to run within Proton?

I know epic store games require an app called Heroic to run for now.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2022/03/heroic-games-launcher-now-works-nicely-on-steam-deck/

Since GoG games are DRM free I think you can just use steam's add game feature?

The alternative would be to install windows and use it like a normal gaming PC, but I wouldn't recommend going that way right now.

3 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I know epic store games require an app called Heroic to run for now.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2022/03/heroic-games-launcher-now-works-nicely-on-steam-deck/

Since GoG games are DRM free I think you can just use steam's add game feature?

The alternative would be to install windows and use it like a normal gaming PC, but I wouldn't recommend going that way right now.

So you think would be as simple as downloading the file to the SD card or some such and then just add game through Steam to launch?  

Yeah, there's no way in hell I'd try to get Windows on there.

Anyone having experience with the support from Humble? I've been trying to get into my account for several days now. It's asking for a code as a browser verification, but I'm not getting any mails. I then wanted to reset my password, but the mail for that I don't receive either. I have completely disabled all spam filter mechanisms, so those shouldn't be an issue.

Oddly enough, because I'm subscribed to the newsletter, I'm still getting those. I also got the confirmation of a ticket as a mail when I wrote to the support. But since then, no reply whatsoever. Looks like they don't want me to stick around as a costumer...

37 minutes ago, Rhom said:

So you think would be as simple as downloading the file to the SD card or some such and then just add game through Steam to launch?  

Yeah, there's no way in hell I'd try to get Windows on there.

Actually this app seems to take care of the configuration for you

https://www.emudeck.com/#how_to_install

But yeah then the trick is getting the roms onto the SD card or internal drive.

Archived