Watch, Watched, Watching: Now includes ads

Ramsay B.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Not when you're defining popularity as nielsen rating or box office it isn't.

Right, in the context of your GoT ratings trend argument it's not a precise comparison.  I used the comparison in another vain attempt to try explain to why your "popularity = people liking it" premise is fundamentally wrong.  "Popularity," or viewership, of a TV show is a different unit of measurement than how much the viewers liked the show.

Nielsen ratings are designed to determine a show’s popularity. That’s its purpose. Shows are renewed or canceled based on those ratings because they show how popular a show is.

2 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

The numbers would suggest that Dexter Season 8 was the most popular show of the series and yet it was so universally badly received that the creators followed it up eight years later with an extra mini-series to apologise and fix it.  

And they managed to fuck up the ending of that one too, albeit not nearly as terribly as the original series. 

4 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

The numbers would suggest that Dexter Season 8 was the most popular show of the series and yet it was so universally badly received that the creators followed it up eight years later with an extra mini-series to apologise and fix it.  

Personally, I stopped watching Dexter midway through season 5, but if what you’re saying is true, I suppose I’m in the minority. See? Just because I personally started to dislike Dexter doesn’t mean everybody else did. I’m not going to claim otherwise when the numbers contradict it.

22 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

Nielsen ratings are designed to determine a show’s popularity. That’s its purpose.

The purpose of Nielsen ratings is to determine how many people are watching a show in order to gauge how much to charge advertisers.  You are ludicrously claiming they can somehow determine the viewers' opinions on the shows they watched.

Just now, DMC said:

The purpose of Nielsen ratings is to determine how many people are watching a show in order to gauge how much to charge advertisers.  You are ludicrously claiming they can somehow determine the viewers' opinions on the shows they watched.

Yes, because if someone doesn’t like something, they would stop watching.  To claim otherwise is to be intentionally ignorant.

3 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Dragon in the North has never heard of sunk cost, or of liking something in the past enough that you have some trust that they might pull it together for the very end, apparently.

Incorrect. I have already stated that there are some who stuck with the show to see how it ends. I oppose the absurd claim that this action has been taken by millions of people. That’s not how casual viewers operate. They don’t force themselves to watch something they don’t enjoy.

18 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

You're just operating on your gut instinct of how casual viewers should operate, because that's what you would do. Your assertion is not backed up by facts or evidence.  

If not liking something isn’t reason enough for people to stop watching something, why do viewership numbers go down? In some cases, they absolutely tank. If your claim was true and people continue to watch shows they hate, viewership numbers would either remain consistent or go up. That’s very rarely the case. They almost always go down. Sorry, but if you just think about what you’re saying for one second you’ll see that you’re argument makes no sense. I don’t know why it matters to you so much that people like a show that you don’t. It doesn’t invalidate your opinion on it.

4 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

I don’t know why it matters to you so much that people like a show that you don’t. It doesn’t invalidate your opinion on it.

This, coming from the guy who's been arguing about this for like 12 hours to someone who's written four sentences, does not follow the evidence. Sorry that you're irrational. 

I think the majority of people were very disappointed in the final season. I also think the majority of viewers are of the sort who say they still love Game of Thrones, it just ended badly. Tens of millions of people have watched the House of the Dragon trailer precisely because they're hoping it brings them the good stuff they loved about Game of Thrones.

6 hours ago, polishgenius said:

This, coming from the guy who's been arguing about this for like 12 hours to someone who's written four sentences, does not follow the evidence. Sorry that you're irrational. 

You have that backwards. The evidence points to the majority enjoying the final season. You’re simply ignoring because for some reason you don’t want to be in the minority.

Archived