UK Politics: Johnson in a Pinch(er)

If you forget a thing like that, it does say something about how seriously you take these issues in the first place. 

22 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I wonder how many full-blown serial rapists we have amongst our MPs.

A couple of threads back, I noted the ICGS report which identified 56 MPs of all parties against whom there were outstanding complaints (70 complaints in all). That's a huge proportion. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/56-mps-face-sexual-misconduct-claims-znv2m9x8s

Every time the government gets questioned regarding a scandal touching on Johnson (or indeed, his johnson), it turns into a Choose Your Own Adventure.

Or a trip through the multiverse

23 minutes ago, mormont said:

If you forget a thing like that, it does say something about how seriously you take these issues in the first place. 

A couple of threads back, I noted the ICGS report which identified 56 MPs of all parties against whom there were outstanding complaints (70 complaints in all). That's a huge proportion. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/56-mps-face-sexual-misconduct-claims-znv2m9x8s

Yeah, it's a bit jarring how they keep telling us how we need to sort our our culture (we obviously do) the hypocrisy  is mind blowing. 

57 minutes ago, mormont said:

Jesus, that's grim. 

Can't help to think of one irony in this situation.

One of the most morally compromised politicians in the UK, who rode into Downing Street on one of Putin's pet projects, is now now hiding behind Selenskyy (providing him with everything he can, in exchange for public statements about the awesomeness of Johnson) and his war against Putin's invaders.

A less compromised leader might be less dependant to try to take cover behind the war in Ukraine and less forthcoming with equipment.

According to my maw, Starmer has already been fined and has taken out an injunction to prevent it being reported. 

She thinks a judge could be persuaded that keeping this secret would somehow be in the public interest. 

I would say this is obviously nothing but GB News horseshit, but who the fuck knows these days. 

ETA: Hmmm. Pippa Crerar has deleted her tweet about the CPS and Durham Police. 

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

According to my maw, Starmer has already been fined and has taken out an injunction to prevent it being reported. 

She thinks a judge could be persuaded that keeping this secret would somehow be in the public interest. 

I would say this is obviously nothing but GB News horseshit, but who the fuck knows these days. 

I’m skeptical. Too many people woukd know, from the cops who investigated, to staff issuing the fine paperwork, printing it, to court staff processing it etc etc, for him to believe he could cover it up. And why would a judge grant an injunction?

Might be wrong but more likely a right-wing (or far left) smear to cast doubts 

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

This would be shitty politics and bad law.  YMMV re Starmer's political skills, but trust him as a lawyer. 

GB News are claiming he has an injunction while the appeal lasts, which is more credible. Except that would mean GB News have broken the injunction and would face legal trouble.

More likely a stunt to get viewers, and they can always pretend it came from a source rather than their febrile imaginations

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Sunak has resigned. Lol. 

And Javid. Downing St must be like Hitler’s bunker as Berlin fell, with Dorries standing faithfully by like Blondie the dog, unaware that the bullets and cyanide are coming out

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-62048657

Sunak and Javid obviously coordinated their resignations - does this mean they've got someone lined up, or they're going to back each other as PM (Sunak) and  Chancellor (Javid)? 

Sunak's letter sounds as if he does still think he might have a chance at the top job. 

Archived