Nolan's Oppenheimer

TheLastWolf

Even Following was better than Tenet

ETA

Ok, cinema is an audio visual medium, back when I was a noob amateur discovering cinema for real,  I got trolled for saying the sound was good. It seemed so to dumb me. But a rewatch was torturous even subbed.

Edited by TheLastWolf

3 hours ago, DMC said:

LOL @ Nolan being "melodramatic."

I mean, I put those parts in brackets for a reason. He isn't really melodramatic, because his focus is absolutely on big ideas and complicated plots and that's not what melodrama means, and also he knows how to get his actors to act 'properly', but when he's got Cooper punching messages into the walls of the universe because of the strength of his love... I liked that scene but it's met melodrama. Quite a lot of the Prestige is 'let's take melodramatic scene setups and do them good'.  

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Nah, Tenet is flawed but great

Please don't be positive about Tenet in my vicinity, I have a deathly allergy. 

6 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

but when he's got Cooper punching messages into the walls of the universe because of the strength of his love... I liked that scene but it's met melodrama. Quite a lot of the Prestige is 'let's take melodramatic scene setups and do them good'.  

Anticipating your response, I thought about it.  And, yes, Interstellar is melodramatic -- not only in casting McConaughey but just in general.  That's..pretty inherent in the narrative though.  OTOH, Dunkirk is decidedly non "melodramatic," both in terms of the characters and the direction.  As is Inception.  As is Memento.  As is Batman Begins and even Dark Knight - that was a large part of their appeal vis-a-vis the "standard" superhero movie.  The third one, ok.

But, disagree with you strongly on Prestige.  It's not melodramatic at all, at least in my understanding of the term.  It's intentionally bereft of any sentimentality, both within the narrative and in its direction.  Like, when Scarlett Johannson breaks up with one of them, that's literally her reasoning.  Until, of course, the end.  Which makes the sentimentality all the more meaningful.

Anyway, that's most of his filmography.  I still haven't seen Tenet, and Following obviously isn't melodramatic.  Point is, most of his movies are decidedly less melodramatic than they probably would/should/could be.  That's part of his appeal.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

That's..pretty inherent in the narrative though.  OTOH, Dunkirk is decidedly non "melodramatic," both in terms of the characters and the direction.  As is Inception.  As is Memento.  As is Batman Begins and even Dark Knight - that was a large part of their appeal vis-a-vis the "standard" superhero movie.  The third one, ok.

Yeah, sure. I was playing Tears of the Kingdom and got lazy; I should have clarified he's 'capable of being melodramatic'. 

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

But, disagree with you strongly on Prestige.  It's not melodramatic at all, at least in my understanding of the term.  It's intentionally bereft of any sentimentality, both within the narrative and in its direction.  Like, when Scarlett Johannson breaks up with one of them, that's literally her reasoning.  Until, of course, the end.  Which makes the sentimentality all the more meaningful.

Yeah I suppose that's fair, although I think we're talking from similar perspectives when I say 'take the setups and make them good'. I love the Prestige, in case that's not clear. 

8 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I love the Prestige, in case that's not clear. 

The more I watch Prestige the more I think it's one of the most underrated movies of this century.  That, and Gangs of New York.  They both have incredibly rewatchable qualities.  Hell, the two might be my favorite movies of 2000-now.

3 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Wha-?

Daniel Day Lewis alone is enough for me to :bowdown:

I can't remember much about it, other than thinking I was watching some kind of novelty movie. I dunno, maybe it was the hats. And the accents. And LdC. 

Edited by Spockydog

9 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Please don't be positive about Tenet in my vicinity, I have a deathly allergy. 

I enjoyed it but that plot was not meant to be understood by anyone.

Christopher Nolan movies have gotten gradually more complex and confusing over time. Inception = people communicating with dreams. Interstellar = people communicating with the past. Tenet = people communicating with the future. His next film should be people communicating with people who are stuck inside a Chris Nolan movie. 

17 hours ago, polishgenius said:

but when he's got Cooper punching messages into the walls of the universe because of the strength of his love... I liked that scene but it's met melodrama.

This came off as melodramatic to me, too.

I do think people tend to exaggerate how melodramatic this scene is though. I think the motivating power of love is a theme in the movie, and a scientist presents her opinion of love being a force like gravity or whatever ridiculousness, but I think the movie doesn't try to suggest that love actually is some universal force. By the movie's (purely scienfically speculative) rules, gravity can transmit signals across time. Only gravity can do this. Inside this tesseract that is outside the membrane of our reality information (light, field waves, etc.) can move forward from the perspective of Murphy to the perspective of Cooper. And Cooper can transmite a signal "backwards" from his perspective to Murphy through gravity. Love is only a motivation in this correspondence, not an actual force.

It's all speculative science fiction concocted by Nolan, but this is suitable grounds because when it comes to wormholes Einstein's laws of relativity permit time travel - and this could be extended to black holes if wormholes are a valid physical phenomenon. No one has any idea what this time travel would look like, so why not have it be this weird tesseract?

I don't even think it's totally objectionable that a well qualified scientist like Brand would believe her insane mysticism. Some great scientists believe some very strange things (eg Penrose, Pauling).

4 minutes ago, IFR said:

By the movie's (purely scienfically speculative) rules, gravity can transmit signals across time. Only gravity can do this. Inside this tesseract that is outside the membrane of our reality information (light, field waves, etc.) can move forward from the perspective of Murphy to the perspective of Cooper. And Cooper can transmite a signal "backwards" from his perspective to Murphy through gravity. Love is only a motivation in this correspondence, not an actual force.

It's pretty simple - Nolan likes his main, and always male, characters reconciling with their daughters.  It's a heartwarming aspect I really don't have a problem with.  But in the case of Interstellar I agree with PG that it was pretty melodramatic.  Suppose it should be noted that's not how his brother wanted to end it.

25 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I do find it quite ironic that the script initially written, as Spielberg intended to make it when he was on board as director, was far less emotional and more convoluted than the one Nolan ended up with. Given their relative reputations. 

Well, I imagine Speilberg was upset nobody divorced and/or there wasn't a single mother.

• 3 weeks later...

Sexuality in a Nolan film: Someone saying the word "sex" whilst fully clothed.

Nudity in a Nolan film: Someone wearing shorts, showing of their knobby knobby knees. 

Language in a Nolan film: "Yeah, and you're a real so-and-so! I hope your tax returns show up three-to-five business days later than advertised!"