Tennis thread 10: Federer's emotional goodbye

Calibandar

On 1/2/2024 at 12:27 PM, BigFatCoward said:

I have no idea why Nadal is carrying on, what on earth does he have to prove? 

He's won more than all but one man in history and wants to make one final push to catch up and overtake him. It's that champion mentality, I guess...

2 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

It's just great to see him on court smiling again.

It would be great to see Djokovic more consistently challenged, at the very least. I just hate whenever someone dominates the sport, whatever the sport may be.

7 hours ago, baxus said:

It would be great to see Djokovic more consistently challenged, at the very least. I just hate whenever someone dominates the sport, whatever the sport may be.

Those 2 and Alcaraz at Paris could be fun this year. I'm hoping he is putting all his eggs in one final RG push. 

And he totally should get the show court named after him when he retires. 

8 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

He's also gone further in the Brisbane International than say, Andy Murray, about whom the same question could be asked. I'd rather we enjoy these generational players while we can, once they leave all we have left are memories.

I'm not sure that's a great argument. Another person that might be risking long term health problems. 

It's their life but I'd prefer to not be hobbling around for the next 50 years. 

Looks like Nadal is bowing out of the Australian Open, conserving himself for the clay season (because of injury sustained while playing, I guess).

I'm also confused how two tournaments are happening at the same time, the Brisbane International and the Auckland classic. I see Gauff just won the latter; I think she's in for the long haul. Raducanu, on the other hand, let's see....but good luck on her comeback.

Am I the only one who can't stand Djokovic? Always rooting for him to get knocked out. Just a poor man's Federer IMO and the only reason he's going to overtake Federer is because he never had a Nadal to stop him.

13 minutes ago, Darryk said:

Am I the only one who can't stand Djokovic? Always rooting for him to get knocked out. Just a poor man's Federer IMO and the only reason he's going to overtake Federer is because he never had a Nadal to stop him.

I'd be hardly pressed to think of two players more different than Djokovic and Federer.

Also, saying that Djokovic never had a Nadal to stop him is just nonsense, with two of them having played each other 60 times, most of the times in semifinals and finals of masters and GS tournaments.

EDIT:

Btw, I'm far from a Djokovic fan, though that's mostly due to his off the court shenanigans.

Edited by baxus

This is why I always argue Nadal is the best ever. He was stuck between Feds and Joker. The former ate off lesser players on the front end and the latter did the same after they were pretty spent. He had to truly take both of their primes without a period of ease. He also has a winning record against Feds and Joker only has one more win over him, but a lot of those wins came after his body broke down. He had a large lead over them when he was in his prime. 

44 minutes ago, Darryk said:

No, everyone hates him. 

48 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

Sigh. Iga plays at 2 am my time. Just great.

Like I always joke around, every major tournament in every sport should take place in Western Europe. Watching the last WC was miserable.