UK Politics: rooting for the vegetables

mormont

38 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

FTR, she's also lying about the IMF predictions

https://www.imf.org/en/Publications/WEO/Issues/2022/10/11/world-economic-outlook-october-2022

Japan 1.7
Canada 1.5
Spain 1.2
USA 1.0
France 0.7
UK 0.3
Italy -0.2
Germany -0.3

Is she lying or maybe she did not notice the decimal point before the 3?

45 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

Is she lying...?

Yes, she's lying; because she was busted in her previous lie, so just invented something on the spot in the hopes that the studio didn't have the information on hand to contradict her there and then.

It took me all of 30 seconds on google to fact check her; and another 30 seconds to get the right data; which is more time than the presenter had available.

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

Yes, she's lying; because she was busted in her previous lie, so just invented something on the spot in the hopes that the studio didn't have the information on hand to contradict her there and then.

It took me all of 30 seconds on google to fact check her; and another 30 seconds to get the right data; which is more time than the presenter had available.

Ok,  I can see I left vital information.  Of course she is lying.  I was just wondering if her excuse was claiming she was thick by not understanding the decimal point.

2 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

Ok,  I can see I left vital information.  Of course she is lying.  I was just wondering if her excuse was claiming she was thick by not understanding the decimal point.

That'd require her to admit to having lied - having been comprehensively busted and called out for lying

8 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

FTR, she's also lying about the IMF predictions

https://www.imf.org/en/Publications/WEO/Issues/2022/10/11/world-economic-outlook-october-2022

Japan 1.7
Canada 1.5
Spain 1.2
USA 1.0
France 0.7
UK 0.3
Italy -0.2
Germany -0.3

It'll be interesting to see how we shake out. I was given the job of reviewing our primary industries (ag, hort, fisheries, forestry) outlook report to June 2023 and it is forecasting a record high for export revenue, almost a couple of billion above our record high for the year to June 2022 (~+3%). It would be unusual for that to be associated with economic growth below 1%, I would think. The worry behind that number is if the NZD was worth the same against the USD as it was in 2021/22 export revenue would be forecast to be down for the year to June 2023, and possibly not by a small amount. I don't really like revenue growth through the changes and chances of FX fluctuations. We really want revenues to grow by steady international prices and selling more.

I hear what you are saying, the UK has to be put in the strong and stable hooves of a horse (haha, see what I did, there, stable, it's funny). However on behalf of horsekind I have to turn down that request. Humon messes up, humon fixes mess. 

I suggest you turn to Wales, if you are in need of a strong man. Luke, your turn (ok, this one was now definitely funny, the pun on strong man, and no Wales doesn't exit joke). 

11 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

But that's not what the survey said. 

It doesn’t ask would you prefer a dictator, but I don’t know what term could be ascribed to a “strong” leader who doesn’t have to deal with elections.

I’m sure the respondent’s would have said no universally if asked explicitly if they wanted at least more autocratic government so it’s important to be more subtle.

21 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

It doesn’t ask would you prefer a dictator, but I don’t know what term could be ascribed to a “strong” leader who doesn’t have to deal with elections.

I’m sure the respondent’s would have said no universally if asked explicitly if they wanted at least more autocratic government so it’s important to be more subtle.

I don't know how to answer you. The issue is that Charles is not strong. That's it, unless you are arguing that he is, you are just ranting into the void  

I think there's a better argument for the House of Lords existing per se than the monarchy- it acts as a repository of knowledge accessible to ministers and MPs, to some extent, and I'm fairly sure not needing to worry about re-election is part of why the Lords didn't get caught up as much in Tory games and tried to block or amend some of the wilder bills, like the policing bill, and the nationality and borders bill. The fact that both those bills are now acts does suggest there probably needs to be a change to make the House more effective though, and there probably isn't a justifiable way of doing that without elections. 

I feel like the only viable way to do it and keep some of that detachment from the pressure of the day would be really long terms. Possibly something like ten-year terms, with a term limit of two, maybe three, and staggered elections third-by-third, so that only a third of the chamber would be looking towards imminent re-election at any given moment. That's off the top of my head, I'm sure there are things wrong with the idea or ways it could be bettered, but it can't just be a second Commons.

Archived