How is the weather out there?

LongRider

It’s 3 C here (about 36 F I guess) and snow flurries are predicted. I think the cold has kept a lot of kids inside, it’s almost 7:30 pm and I still have way too much candy. My box of chips from Costco had 54 packages in it, and it looks like I might have 20 left, so that’s a really low turnout. I give one bag to each kid, and very generous handfuls of candy.

Bad weather killed Halloween here. Only a few groups of kids came and it was clear everyone was being driven around. Oh well, what kid would turn down "take as much as you want?" The little ones looked like they discovered gold. 

• 2 weeks later...

The NOAA long term outlook for winter in Michigan (and perhaps much of the Midwest) is warmer and drier than average. We'll still have snow events, but maybe fewer than normal, all this is based on a stronger El Nino. For Mid-Michigan the lakes act like a nice little buffer that dont make our winters very extreme either.

We too have 60 degree weather next few days. I dont find it surprising any more.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

We had a snow storm (relatively speaking) yesterday evening.  City government asked all the schools to do online lessons today.

We were just talking about the snow our friends in Calgary got, almost 20 cm over the last two days. That’s almost 8 inches of the white stuff.

Conversely, here in Michigan there has been absolutely no accumulating snow over wide swathes of the lower peninsula. This is extremely unusual for mid-December and is expected to last till past Christmas. The reason given is a strong El Nino effect, but the underlying cause for that is based in climate change of course.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been raining for like a week here in Minneapolis. This should be snow. Winter use to be pretty consistent here, but it's starting later every year and more random once spring should begin. It's actually a real problem if my uneducated observations are right because it fucks with the crops (Minny is a large agricultural state). I've planting my garden later and later and shit is still growing when it should be long dead. Very odd. 

Raining. For days, off and on, more and less, and often light, and often hard.  The question is how many flights will be canceled and postponed. Partner is scheduled to fly to Cuba on the 30th for a month of University students of an orchestra meeting and working with Cuban university orchestra students, and then a group of people on religious pilgrimage.  (Yes, despite the draconian and insane rules and regs the US has for people going to Cuba, and what they can do and how they can do it, both of these are entirely legal.)