Something fun where no one goes insane

kissdbyfire

41 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

6. The Others are not going to invade the south, there will be no final battle between good and evil, and they aren't even the ones raising and controlling the wights.

I agree with the Others not controlling the wights, and as for an invasion past the Wall, there have been so few of Others shown on page, makes me wonder if there is enough for any size of an army at all.     :dunno:

17 minutes ago, LongRider said:

I agree with the Others not controlling the wights, and as for an invasion past the Wall, there have been so few of Others shown on page, makes me wonder if there is enough for any size of an army at all.     :dunno:

Yeah, this one is possible, though I very much doubt the Others won't come south. I suppose it depends on what you call south? I mean, I'm not sure they'll reach Dorne but I'm fairly certain they will get to the northern parts of Westeros, so south of the Wall. :dunno:

I'm writing these before reading any of the comments on this thread.

Predictions

1) Arya will be either sent or go of her own to Winterfell with the objective of killing Arya Stark, now played by Jeyne Poole. 

2) She balks (but really late in the action). This is her break with the FM and perhaps leads to a complete break from violence and killing for Arya. She returns to House Stark as a tempering voice.

3) Meera sees Bran in a different light after realizing he ate her brother. She escapes the cave, but dies on the road home. Body or news of it gets back to the Neck. There is a consequent schism between Houses Stark and Reed.

4) Sansa is complicit in Littlefinger's murdering of Sweetrobin.

5) After Varys little murder splurge the way is clear for Cersei to retake her place as her son's official WHATEVER and she continues to run the show in Kingslanding, but the relevance of Kingslanding in the rest of hte continent slides.

Wishes

1) Lightbringer is revealed to be Rhaegar's silver harp (a little ol Cantus idea that I don't think got enough attention). The solution in the North begins with communication not violence

2) Jon and Dany meet, fall in love, someone isn't quite as Targaryan as we've been led to suspect and they live happily ever after raising rugdragons and ruling westros in an endless era of peace and prosperity

3) Tyrion bumps into Tysha in a ladies' room  and they live happily ever after

4) The reports from Dragonstone are completely false. Ser Loras is fine and the Tyrells are plotting hard to get rid of Cersei

5) Blackfyre is Longclaw. The story Jeor told Jon was bunk. Blackfyre's been at the Wall waiting for Jon for a hundred years and reports of Bittersteel taking it to Essos turn out to be untrue. Old Man Rivers fills Jon in on a lot of blanks and then dies.

1 hour ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

I'm writing these before reading any of the comments on this thread.

Predictions

1) Arya will be either sent or go of her own to Winterfell with the objective of killing Arya Stark, now played by Jeyne Poole. 

2) She balks (but really late in the action). This is her break with the FM and perhaps leads to a complete break from violence and killing for Arya. She returns to House Stark as a tempering voice.

3) Meera sees Bran in a different light after realizing he ate her brother. She escapes the cave, but dies on the road home. Body or news of it gets back to the Neck. There is a consequent schism between Houses Stark and Reed.

4) Sansa is complicit in Littlefinger's murdering of Sweetrobin.

5) After Varys little murder splurge the way is clear for Cersei to retake her place as her son's official WHATEVER and she continues to run the show in Kingslanding, but the relevance of Kingslanding in the rest of hte continent slides.

Wishes

1) Lightbringer is revealed to be Rhaegar's silver harp (a little ol Cantus idea that I don't think got enough attention). The solution in the North begins with communication not violence

2) Jon and Dany meet, fall in love, someone isn't quite as Targaryan as we've been led to suspect and they live happily ever after raising rugdragons and ruling westros in an endless era of peace and prosperity

3) Tyrion bumps into Tysha in a ladies' room  and they live happily ever after

4) The reports from Dragonstone are completely false. Ser Loras is fine and the Tyrells are plotting hard to get rid of Cersei

5) Blackfyre is Longclaw. The story Jeor told Jon was bunk. Blackfyre's been at the Wall waiting for Jon for a hundred years and reports of Bittersteel taking it to Essos turn out to be untrue. Old Man Rivers fills Jon in on a lot of blanks and then dies.

Jezuz Fucking Christ! I don't even know where to start!!! The first thing that caught my attention was how your predictions are absolutely bleak and fucking horrible and I hope none of that ever happens ever! And then your wishful thinking is oh so rosy and happy and kumbaya. 

Fascinating! 

Now I have to think about the actual predictions and wishes... I'll be back! :lol:

14 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Jezuz Fucking Christ! I don't even know where to start!!! The first thing that caught my attention was how your predictions are absolutely bleak and fucking horrible and I hope none of that ever happens ever! And then your wishful thinking is oh so rosy and happy and kumbaya. 

Fascinating! 

Now I have to think about the actual predictions and wishes... I'll be back! :lol:

If we ever get the last two books, I suspect Martin will make KJ Parker look cheerful and optimistic, by comparison.

52 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Jezuz Fucking Christ! I don't even know where to start!!! The first thing that caught my attention was how your predictions are absolutely bleak and fucking horrible and I hope none of that ever happens ever!

Yeah, I'm not really hoping for any of the predictions to come true, maybe Arya. 

I could see her having a real snap back moment which makes her change her views on everything. Her ongoing identity crises seem like they would naturally culminate in a hit on the person who's taken her name and her place. Literally erase herself and be No One after Arya Stark is declared and confirmed dead. I think news of hte death of Jon will impact her as will the eventual reveal that he's ok/ back or whatever, but her eventual trip to the North will be about Jeyne. It's been quite a while since I read it, but it was the preview Mercy chapter and some of the disturbing things she thought of herself and her job that first got me thinking this might be an eventual outcome.  She can't stay a little murder princess forever can she?  I think she'll see the light and repurpose Needle and disappoint all the 'Arya's dark heart will be the ruin of all Westeros' set.

THe story sort of sets us up to expect a big reveal from Howland Reed at some point. To me, that means that we're primed for the author to pull the carpet out from beneath us and it would be consistent with my read of his character for him to make it painful for us to witness as possible. The Reeds' mission ending in an abject horror show kind of fits. I also wonder a lot about where Meera fits in a Jojen Paste reading of Dance (and I don't want to beleive Jojen paste, but I can't help it. Weirwoods don't have 'seeds'). I suspect that she wouldn't be too cool with it and one way or another, the resulting conflict would not go well for her. I think Rivers will give us a lot of hte info that we would have gotten from Reed.

Sansa and Sweetrobin.  Sansa is isolated with the worst possible influence  and she's already kind of accepted LF's idea that Robin won't be long lived. I think the manipulator will let it sit with her a while, and when the time comes set her up so that she can either give him the end she knows is coming anyway and get on with things, or sacrifice plans to help him linger just a little longer.

I can't accept that Cersei is done. She's back and she's got a heavily armoured zombie to set people right. Ultimately the only person she needs to impress is Tommen and she has a bit of an in with him.

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

And then your wishful thinking is oh so rosy and happy and kumbaya. 

Who doesn't like a happy ending?  OK, Jon and Dany is just a little too saccharine and Tyrion and Tysha was just a nod to Sandy Clegg's excellent posts on where whores go.

I really like Cantus' idea about dragonsteel being silver and lightbringer being rhagar's harp. I think this would be a more interesting story than just 'how many of our heroes will survive the long night?' and 'who will sit the Iron Throne when it's said and done?' Too many stories (maybe I've played too many video games) allow the hero to defeat the badguy and then all of the badguy's people melt away and the world goes back to pre crisis state. I would like to see a different take.

That's my defense.  I think the author will take some of the dark storylines we've seen to much darker places than we might have guessed, and make us hate to turn the pages on some of hte chapters we might be anticipating the most,  but ultimately we'll still get the right ending.

18 hours ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

Sansa and Sweetrobin.  Sansa is isolated with the worst possible influence  and she's already kind of accepted LF's idea that Robin won't be long lived. I think the manipulator will let it sit with her a while, and when the time comes set her up so that she can either give him the end she knows is coming anyway and get on with things, or sacrifice plans to help him linger just a little longer.

"The boy was a lackwit, despised by his own vassals.  In truth, a painless death by sweetsleep would be a kindness and a mercy."

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

"The boy was a lackwit, despised by his own vassals.  In truth, a painless death by sweetsleep would be a kindness and a mercy."

Hey thanks for using that quote. 'a kindness and a mercy'. We've seen Mercy used somewhat euphemistically for ending a sorry life throughout the series, but this adds kindness to stand beside it like the Kindly Man and his little protégé, last seen by us using the name Mercy.  Sweetrobin's prospects look pretty bleak.

1 hour ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

Hey thanks for using that quote. 'a kindness and a mercy'. We've seen Mercy used somewhat euphemistically for ending a sorry life throughout the series, but this adds kindness to stand beside it like the Kindly Man and his little protégé, last seen by us using the name Mercy.  Sweetrobin's prospects look pretty bleak.

I think there is another "positive" spin to be presented for when that day dawns, involving no obfuscation. Lackwit, a full grown man's responsibilities, vassals pressing in on all sides, and given to shaking himself near to death every time he was in any way pressed in public. They knew what sweetsleep was, the maester was unequivocal about the tradeoffs, but for Sweetrobin's own sake and best interest they were committed to flying close the sun regarding the matter. He had to at least appear to reign, or the Aryn line was ruined, and he was likely dead "of a chill" soon enough (not to impugn the honor of these most honorable lords). He had survive appearing to reign. The gods were cruel to that boy, but he and his did their best. Petyr, as the one man in the Vale whose position needed Sweetrobin to be alive and hold on to his authority as the head of House Arryn, was trustworthy in this matter (not to impugn the trustworthiness of these most trustworthy lords).

2 hours ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

Just as, if Dany and Viserys had been captured by Robert’s goons, and taken into “protective custody.”

”Alas, a winter chill carried off that pair.  So tragic.  Yet, mayhaps it were for the best.  Life held very little for them further.”

• 2 months later...
On 1/17/2024 at 5:54 PM, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

Would the North be her first destination after leaving Braavos? It feels like closing her arc a little early.

How about Tyrosh or Lys? We've never been there in the story and they might be a logical stopping-off point for Dany's army on the way to Westeros. It seems logical that GRRM would have a preference for 'fleshing out' some of these unvisited spots along the Narrow Sea before the story ends.

2 hours ago, Sandy Clegg said:

How about Tyrosh or Lys? We've never been there in the story and they might be a logical stopping-off point for Dany's army on the way to Westeros. It seems logical that GRRM would have a preference for 'fleshing out' some of these unvisited spots along the Narrow Sea before the story ends.

Could do, sure. I think that she ultimately shows down with Jeyne though. I just think that with all of the identity crisis the author has been saddling her with since book 1 it would follow that the choice to finally kill Arya Stark for good would be something she'll have to confront. 

On 1/18/2023 at 11:31 AM, sifth said:

Stannis wins the battle of winter and doesn't devolve into a cartoon villain, who burns his own daughter. I have no idea why so many members of the fandom, seems to want this to happen.

I don't want it. When I heard it was in the show I thought "what a HORRIBLE idea"  these producers are HORRIBLE

Then I thought:

Shireen has ashy marks over her face and neck

She has nightmares about dragons (which burn people, of course)

She is constantly accompanied by a chanting jumping dead creature who was once a merry child himself, who rants in a strange and gloomy manner

She is a sad lonely girl and it seems consistent with the books that nobody saves her instead SHE GETS BURNED! Just like Eddard got executed.

Selyse is consistently portrayed as cold, white ... like a moth attracted to fire. As far as 'don't women turn horrible when they are bitter and middle aged' themes go, I think she outdoes Cersei and Lysa. Seems consistent with a build up to burning her own daughter, having converted to a cult.

Stannis is likewise portrayed in a way that would explain why he would allow this to happen. A certain slight rigidity and the fact that Melisande has demonstrated some occult powers already, conveniently killing his enemies.

if its not in the books ,I am now going to think "it was in there but he let the show have it and then took it out"

5 hours ago, Castellan said:

if its not in the books ,I am now going to think "it was in there but he let the show have it and then took it out"

Just feels like character assassination to me. For both Stannis and Mel. Selyse is the only character I can logically see doing it and even for her it would be a stretch. At least if it does happen, it would be to stop a stupid storm, like it was on the show.