NBA - the King passes Cap, but his team are still crap.

BigFatCoward

15 hours ago, briantw said:

Yeah, and the league has been incredibly soft on player discipline under Adam Silver.  He particularly seems to let the marquee teams get away with murder.  Green should have gotten at least two games.  That's what Kevin Love got for stomping on another player, and his stomp wasn't nearly as hard.

To be clear, in the 80’s Stern ‘saved’ the NBA by aggressively adopting a new marketing philosophy: flagships. Flagship franchises and flagship players. He said that making a few of each, particularly in specific markets, into household names would raise the level of the league as a whole. And it worked!

Started with Bird/Celtics and Lakers/Magic, really took off with Jordan and the Bulls. And when the president openly says certain teams/players winning/advancing is better for the league, well, that’s as clear as they can make it. 

4 hours ago, baxus said:

You sound surprised that a repeat offender gets treated more harshly. :blink:

I'm surprised they admitted it. And I believe the instigator should also suffer a similar fate when it's clear as day they did something dirty. What if Sabonis tears Green's Achilles doing that? They didn't even call a foul on him and the ref was looking right at them, hence the quick whistle after the stomp. It was only on review that he got a common foul and a tech.

What does either have to do with the stomp itself?

Nothing, but it provides context. The two incidents were different.

16 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Nah, I finally saw the play. Maybe Sabonis started it…hard to see how much was just trying to get up, but I’m willing to believe he annoyed him. But Green’s reaction was several floors of degree different; that looked like a sincere effort to seriously hurt, and moreover it’s mildly surprising it didn’t. That was as clear a suspension as we’ve seen in a while, hell, that looked like maybe a career ending move, especially given his past.

The NBA’s open catering to ratings over rules continues; somewhere Stern is smiling. 

Oh come on. He was trying to stop the fast break, it had nothing to do with him protecting himself or trying to get up. 

That said I did say earlier that may well have ended his career, at least in the NBA. The Warriors likely won't resign him and Idk why anyone else would want him, even at a discount. The Poole incident is pretty damning and this may have been the last drop in the bucket.

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm surprised they admitted it. And I believe the instigator should also suffer a similar fate when it's clear as day they did something dirty. What if Sabonis tears Green's Achilles doing that? They didn't even call a foul on him and the ref was looking right at them, hence the quick whistle after the stomp. It was only on review that he got a common foul and a tech.

Nothing, but it provides context. The two incidents were different.

Oh come on. He was trying to stop the fast break, it had nothing to do with him protecting himself or trying to get up. 

That said I did say earlier that may well have ended his career, at least in the NBA. The Warriors likely won't resign him and Idk why anyone else would want him, even at a discount. The Poole incident is pretty damning and this may have been the last drop in the bucket.

As I said, willing to believe it; nothing to do with the OK Corral that followed. The ‘instigation’ or something like it happens almost every game. Something like what Green did most definitely does not. The two are only related technically, the way a hard pick might precede trying to rip open someone’s throat with their teeth.

Yes, the one came before and I guess in the player’s mind motivated the action, but beyond that technical connection we are doing everyone but Green/the Warriors a disservice to normalize this kind of shit by contextualizing it as any kind of remotely acceptable response. 

But it’s the current dynasty, so we will actually have these conversations. 

16 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

As I said, willing to believe it; nothing to do with the OK Corral that followed. The ‘instigation’ or something like it happens almost every game. Something like what Green did most definitely does not. The two are only related technically, the way a hard pick might precede trying to rip open someone’s throat with their teeth.

Idk, acceptable instigating is talking shit and getting in the other player's head and/or being physical with them. A straight up dirty play is crossing that line in my mind. If a player punches someone and the other punches back, they should be seen as both being out of bounds, but far too often we just ignore the first punch.

I feel like I'm going insane, but it often seems like they're screwing up resetting the shot clock on offensive rebounds that clearly hit the rim. It's happening in every series and it just looked like it happened again. 

50 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I feel like I'm going insane, but it often seems like they're screwing up resetting the shot clock on offensive rebounds that clearly hit the rim. It's happening in every series and it just looked like it happened again. 

In the NBA, it seems like this should be an automated function, where a sensor in the rim activates the clock reset whenever there is an impact.

Because if you have ever had to run the scoring the table, resetting the shot clock has to be one of the most difficult things to do consistently correctly, next to fixing a scoring error or changing the game time, and in those situations, everything stops and people wait for the task to be accomplished.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

In the NBA, it seems like this should be an automated function, where a sensor in the rim activates the clock reset whenever there is an impact.

Because if you have ever had to run the scoring the table, resetting the shot clock has to be one of the most difficult things to do consistently correctly, next to fixing a scoring error or changing the game time, and in those situations, everything stops and people wait for the task to be accomplished.

I don't get why there isn't more automation in sports. Most people this year seemed to agree that the officiating in the NBA and NFL has been terrible, and a lot of it could just be cleaned up with censors. Like just with the NFL, why are we still using the sticks to measure first downs when dudes are destroying themselves for an extra inch of ground. Tennis has this figured out. It's ridiculous most other major sports have a lot of issues with this. 

The Sixers-Nets series looks to be over and done with Philly up 3-0, but man, these games have been unappetizing.

The Brooklyn court is the least aesthetically pleasing floor in the NBA with that black and grey color scheme, so no one ought to shed a tear to get that off the screen.

Joel Embiid continues to rise up the charts of "Unlikeable Players I Have Seen".  For a guy with many gifts and talents, his troll-ish on-court personality isn't to my taste at all, and he fails to use his offensive talents with techniques that I want to watch.

Doc Rivers is coaching one of the teams, and though he may be a good guy, he never seems to be able to get his teams to perform at their theoretical potential.  Lots of iso and standing around, which isn't great.

The games have had a suitable playoff edge, but the officiating has been uneven at best.  The zebras definitely got the punishments reversed for Embiid and Harden.

And the sad thing is that there are some attractive performances and guys who have interesting games - the Nets have had some cool stuff from Bridges, Claxton, Dinwiddie and Johnson, while the Sixers have also had some individual excellence from Maxey and Harris.  Too bad it has been overshadowed by the garbage.

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Joel Embiid continues to rise up the charts of "Unlikeable Players I Have Seen".  For a guy with many gifts and talents, his troll-ish on-court personality isn't to my taste at all, and he fails to use his offensive talents with techniques that I want to watch.

I've seen this cited a bunch of places in the last few days:

7 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Meanwhile Charles Barkley has found a new job.

Getting a prime time show on CNN with Gayle King. And no, I didn't make this up!

I'm glad that Barkley won't be retiring from tv, but I got a feeling that this won't be anywhere near as good as Inside the NBA.

Archived