NBA - the King passes Cap, but his team are still crap.

BigFatCoward

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

Dude… :stunned:

I hear that it is popular in the Bluegrass to be down on Calipari, but he does seem to prepare his players for the NBA in the one (or very occasionally two) years they spend on campus in Lexington.

If I was a player with NBA potential, it would make UK more attractive, knowing that Calipari appears to give his players what they need to succeed at the next level.  After all, isn't college supposed to be a preparation for your career?

15 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I hear that it is popular in the Bluegrass to be down on Calipari, but he does seem to prepare his players for the NBA in the one (or very occasionally two) years they spend on campus in Lexington.

If I was a player with NBA potential, it would make UK more attractive, knowing that Calipari appears to give his players what they need to succeed at the next level.  After all, isn't college supposed to be a preparation for your career?

Preaching to the choir.

A list like this posted on Facebook is guaranteed to garner at least 70% comments from old white people (both men and women) with some variation of “But he can only win one title.” :rolleyes:

For my part, absolutely he prepares players better than anyone out there.  And if you subscribe to the school of belief that talent wins championships, then it’s the best way to win at the college level too. Problem is that the NCAA tourney is the worst way to crown a champion.

Its only the 1st game of all these series and look at the bruises pileing up already.

Its war of attrition to see who can grind through an NBA playoff without ending so banged up they cant go. Lets see who gets through healthy enough.

Holy shit did Westbrook take over Clippers-Suns right at the end. I admit, I thought he was washed on the Lakers, but it's heart-warming to see him rising to the occasion for the Clippers. Especially against KD's new team.

48 minutes ago, DMC said:

Wait so Miami beat Milwaukee?  Interesting...

Giannis took a pretty nasty fall and left with a back contusion.  Then the Bucks couldn’t hit a three to save their life.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Well no need to stay up any later. If you're going to get your ass kicked, best do it early in the series. Maybe that will wake some players up. 

Let me guess, the NBA wants you to lose this series too?

8 hours ago, Relic said:

Let me guess, the NBA wants you to lose this series too?

No, they probably don't care who wins this one. But they do want your Knicks to beat the Cavs. I'm not saying they're actively telling people to put their fingers on the scales, but we do all know the same shit they do, bigger market moves on, more money for everyone. 

13 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Holy shit did Westbrook take over Clippers-Suns right at the end. I admit, I thought he was washed on the Lakers, but it's heart-warming to see him rising to the occasion for the Clippers. Especially against KD's new team.

Yeah, I'm really rooting against the Suns here. It's a shame, because if KD wasn't there I'd absolutely be rooting for CP3 to finally have some playoff success. But not now.

Also, I know this isn't a hot take at all, but there were more injuries than usual this early in the playoffs, right? Seemed like every game this weekend had at least one big one.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Also, I know this isn't a hot take at all, but there were more injuries than usual this early in the playoffs, right? Seemed like every game this weekend had at least one big one.

I didn't watch the games but is it because playoff basketball is more like old time basketball where teams play defense rather than teams going down by 20 and then just chucking up 3s until they get back into the game as modern basketball has devolved into?

2 hours ago, Fez said:

Oh definitely.  If we continued at the current pace, teams would be basically out of starters by the second round.  Hopefully some of the guys that are out will be able to get back near 100% fairly soon (Giannis in particular). 

I still think we need a bit more data, but what's going to actually change all these injuries? The league isn't going to reduce the amount of games that would help, but expanding the court? Spreading games out even more? More protection? Idk, I have ideas, but they may be as useless as a lot of other ones I've heard when excluding things that simply won't happen.

I don't think there's any magic pill to resolving the rampant increase in injuries during the playoffs.  Unless there actually was a magic pill.  It is rather startling how fragile players are this day and age once the competition becomes, ya know, an actual competition.  Buncha snowflakes.

I absolutely loathe sports fans who want to compare different eras - even different decades for that matter - regarding health, athleticism, and performance. Baseball, football (global and American), basketball, tennis - this shit is all so vastly different in 2020 than it was in 2000 or 1980 and on that it's tiresome to look back. 

So of course I'm baffled looking at the hypothetical backs of my Nolan Ryan baseball cards, seeing absurd amounts of innings pitched and complete games through a quarter century - and everyone agreed he was throwing bullets long into his 40s. What's the difference? Why did Karl Malone get absolutely brutalized by defenders (and give it right back) for his whole career and he played 82 games every season? Did these guys just have incredible pain tolerance and gutted out high angle sprains with wrap, cocaine, and perseverance?

Specifically to this NBA playoffs - good god Morant was like 12 feet in the air with a guy under him and his entire already-injured hand went completely backwards. I can't imagine. Giannis hit the hardwood so damn hard I wouldn't have gotten up for hours. I didn't see Herro's broken hand, but it's still a broken damn hand. I hope those three big injuries were just flukes the first couple days.

Archived