NBA - the King passes Cap, but his team are still crap.

BigFatCoward

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don't doubt Wemby at all, which should be clear by how I've been writing here that I can't wait to see him, but my entry point to the European leagues is that the top French one isn't much different than the modern G-League.

K, this seems to be a lot more qualified than your original assertion, and I still don't really understand how it's a knock on Wemby.  Is LNB around the competition level of G-League?  Sure, sounds about right. 

...And?  Are you saying G-League's quality of competition is significantly worse than the NCAA?  Because while there's a lot to criticize about G-League - namely there's a lack of exposure to its players and there tends to be inflated stats - I don't know much of anyone who would argue the competitive quality is worse than the NCAA.  Are you?  If so, I just fundamentally disagree.  If not, then the criticism doesn't make much sense to me.

The first round of the NBA playoffs usually only has a few series that are genuinely hard to pick, and this one is no exception.

Win Easily

Bucks, Celtics, Sixers, Nuggets

An upset is possible, but there is a clear favorite

Suns, Warriors, Cavaliers

I don't know who to pick so I guess I'll take Lebron

Lakers

I haven't seen much of the Grizzlies this year, but signs indicate they have a more complete and deeper team than the Lakers.  The real question is whether Lebron has moved from savvy veteran who consistently exposes young stars in the playoffs to washed up former star who looks slow and tired.  I want to believe Lebron has one more year in him, so I'll take the GOHG*.

* Greatest of his generation.  Perhaps not as catchy as GOAT, but its a lot more meaningful of a comparison. 

14 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Win Easily

Lakers

Pretty much exactly how I see it. I think Warriors depends on how Wiggins comes back (he's confirmed for game 1 - likely 20-25 mins). He was so quietly dependable last year. 

If offered the chance to pick though, I'd take Sacramento to win it all. 

On 4/13/2023 at 4:51 PM, Maithanet said:

The first round of the NBA playoffs usually only has a few series that are genuinely hard to pick, and this one is no exception.

Win Easily

Lakers

I haven't seen much of the Grizzlies this year, but signs indicate they have a more complete and deeper team than the Lakers.  The real question is whether Lebron has moved from savvy veteran who consistently exposes young stars in the playoffs to washed up former star who looks slow and tired.  I want to believe Lebron has one more year in him, so I'll take the GOHG*.

* Greatest of his generation.  Perhaps not as catchy as GOAT, but its a lot more meaningful of a comparison. 

Yeah, all the same picks as mine except that I simply cannot choose between Grizzlies and Lakers.

The reason I would go Grizzlies is that despite missing Clarke and Adams, they have been on a superb run and look very convincing. They are younger and more athletic. I also think this is just a tough team that is resilient and hard to beat. Morant Bane, Brooks JJJ are 4 really good starters, and then they add 1 more guy and a good bench. Also, Morant is a special player.

The reason I would go Lakers is because they have also been on a run and look much better since the trade deadline, because they have AD and LeBron, who will surely turn it on almost every game, they are a bigger team now that Adams is out and Vanderbilt plays for the Lakers; I like seeing Austin Reaves at work.

Tough. I pick Lakers because I cant believe AD and LeBron let themselves be eliminated after all this work to reach the playoffs.

Agreed. I haven't disliked a Bulls roster this much in twenty years. I don't see any route to contention and wish they'd just admit this attempt was a total failure and attempt to salvage some assets from this garbage. Good riddance. Now I can root for Denver and Sacramento as my 'fun' teams.

I mean, this is the nature of the seeding with the play-in games, but the Bulls-Raptors game seemed like the ultimate "we both REALLY need to blow up our teams" contest.

16 minutes ago, DMC said:

I mean, this is the nature of the seeding with the play-in games, but the Bulls-Raptors game seemed like the ultimate "we both REALLY need to blow up our teams" contest.

Raptors needed to blow it all up the second Kawhi left. I feel bad for Bulls fans though. They were building something really nice and then Lonzo's possible career ending injury derailed everything. At least he got paid.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Raptors needed to blow it all the second Kawhi left.

I dunno they have a lot of interesting players at least comparable to the Bulls roster.  They just don't really fit together is all.

20 minutes ago, DMC said:

I dunno they have a lot of interesting players at least comparable to the Bulls roster.  They just don't really fit together is all.

Agreed. My point was just that they should have sold high on a few players a year or two ago.

Archived