Star Trek: Attack of Shatner's Toupee Tribble

Werthead

On 7/11/2023 at 2:17 AM, Jaxom 1974 said:

Well this kinda sucks...Manny Coto passes...

His friend Brian Helgeland wrote a great memorial piece about their friendship. Coto was a true-blue SF nerd, and was starstruck when he was on the WGA strike line as Harlan Ellison. Pretty funny anecdotes.

The Ticking Man sounds like a great premise, amazed it landed them a $1 million sale back then and still went nowhere.

Finished "Charades", fun episode, great performances from Jess Bush and Ethan Peck. Also kind of love how it addressed Amanda's life on Vulcan and how hard it must have been for her in a way that prior appearances never really grappled with. Mia Kirshner did a great job as well. 

Edited by Ran

Here's a nerdy thing:

Spoiler

The aliens reveal that Spock diverted shields to better protect Chapel. This is presented as a sacrifice he made because of his feelings for her.

Would a Tuvok or some other, more logical Vulcan not have done the same thing? He's in command of the mission, so the safety of his crew is a responsibility that to some degree overrides his own safety. Furthermore, Vulcans -- and half-Vulcans -- are presented as clearly more robust than regular humans. So logic would suggest, irrespective of feelings, that she was more vulnerable and so needed greater protection under the circumstances.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Here's a nerdy thing:

Hide contents

The aliens reveal that Spock diverted shields to better protect Chapel. This is presented as a sacrifice he made because of his feelings for her.

Would a Tuvok or some other, more logical Vulcan not have done the same thing? He's in command of the mission, so the safety of his crew is a responsibility that to some degree overrides his own safety. Furthermore, Vulcans -- and half-Vulcans -- are presented as clearly more robust than regular humans. So logic would suggest, irrespective of feelings, that she was more vulnerable and so needed greater protection under the circumstances.

Spoiler

Spock says the same.  That said I loved this episode and I love Spock and Chapel.  

I also like that they gave T’Pring agency and a sincere reason to be pissed at Spock.  He did show mistrust.  She wasn’t at all unreasonable, or illogical, with her anger.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:
  Hide contents

Spock says the same.  That said I loved this episode and I love Spock and Chapel.  

I also like that they gave T’Pring agency and a sincere reason to be pissed at Spock.  He did show mistrust.  She wasn’t at all unreasonable, or illogical, with her anger.

Spoiler

And they've added, without completing the whole story yet!, all kinds of added subtext to the Spock/Chapel relationship in the TOS. 

Nimoy's character is always cool, logical, and proper around Chapel in TOS, while she is seen pining...so does that mean he's angry at her for breaking his heart and leaving to go off and marry the other guy? What does he do to drive her away to do that? Or something else...

Plus, if we never see T'Pring again on SNW, things are set up for "Amok Time" with it working nicely all around (if one ignores that Uhura should have known about Spock's fiance, but that's minor.

I imagine the Chapel-Spock fling will end badly once she falls head over heels for Roger Korby. They didn't reference him in this episode for no reason. I do imagine he is going to read Chapel's article about healing Spock and will end up inviting her to study with him directly, not some Vulcan snobs who follow his teachings.

Spock might then go through some kind of Vulcan ritual to purge himself of his feelings for her or something along those lines.

Also, of course, the thing as such might not continue much further as Spock clearly is not going to commit himself to a relationship in light of the fact that he is still formally betrothed. At the same time we also learned that Chapel's general take on relationships is, at this point, not exactly one of deep commitment, so whatever she feels for Spock (at this point) might not be enough for a proper relationship.

T'Pring is likely to return since we also can expect to have not yet seen the last of Sybok and unless I'm misremembering her agency was in charge of his person. Hopefully such a plot will also bring back James Frain as Sarek.

I thought when T'Pring revealed she would mind meld with her mother, Spock decided he couldn't tell her.  It was perfectly logical on his part, mind melding potentially would reveal his secret to her mother, so he had to keep that information from T'Pring to protect their relationship.  Why he didn't explain that I don't know.  But they left the actual mind meld out of the episode too, only including the one between Spock and Amanda.

Edited by SpaceChampion

This reminded me of an episode of Voyager, where Tuvok has a brain injury, that allows him to feel emotions. He's able to feel happiness for the first time, since he was a child and becomes friends with Neelix and is basically just able to enjoy life. The rub is he loses all of his memories before the accident and all of the scientific knowledge his has. The moral dilemma is Tuvok having to choose to have an operation that will return him to his old self and therefore give up his ability to feel happiness.