Second hand Marijuana smoke smells like skunk

Ser Scot A Ellison

5 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

My maternal grandmother smoked twenty-a-day all her life and lived to 87. But she didn't drink.

You don't know that smoking killed your gran. Alcohol use is also a pretty big factor in heart disease.

She didn’t drink.

20 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

LOL...

Of course I can accept you might be able to smell cigarettes from cars in front when you are driving. Because I often smell that, too. Just as I smell all kinds of other things when driving. Cut grass. Pizza. Car exhaust. Bullshit.

The interior of your stationary car 'reeked' of cigarette smoke just because some guy happened to smoke a cigarette in close proximity.

Hmmm.

How did that happen? It doesn't make any sense. Please explain to me how a guy smoking next to the driver's door of your car somehow managed to get his smoke to waft down and across your car's bonnet, before reversing direction and forcing its way through the air-vents, into the interior of your car, in enough quantities to render it as stinky as a week old ashtray.

I know that's virtually impossible.

How?

I was a smoker of cigarettes for over twenty years. 

And if you, too, Scot, had ever been a smoker, you would know that there is only one direction that cigarette smoke goes when you're outside. And it ain't down.

I know what the car smelled like.  And the jackass was smoking next to my car where there was a sign ten feet from him declaring the parking deck a “smoke free zone”.  And the ceiling (it’s a parking deck) was pretty low.  The smoke gathered around my car… because his ass was inches from my driver’s side door.

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

Okay. Drink didn't kill her. And neither did the smoker in the car in front of you. 

Nope… but they still smell like shit.  And I’m “classist” for disliking the damn smell I’ve been involuntarily subjected to my whole fucking life.

This seems to have rapidly spread beyond your distaste at the smell of the devil's lettuce and into a deep-seated issue with various smokes in general. 

I sincerely hope you can find a way to mellow out regarding other peoples' poor habits. May I suggest a toke of this finest dank, ser?

17 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

This seems to have rapidly spread beyond your distaste at the smell of the devil's lettuce and into a deep-seated issue with various smokes in general. 

I sincerely hope you can find a way to mellow out regarding other peoples' poor habits. May I suggest a toke of this finest dank, ser?

:shocked:

14 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

BUT WHOA way for this thread to turn dead serious before my comment and after the last page. DAMN!!

The “classist” comment… really got under my skin.

@Week

I see your point… but would remind you that despite being well educated and reasonably well read… most of my extended family… is of the “class” you seem to think I am somehow acting as though I am above.

6 hours ago, Spockydog said:

My maternal grandmother smoked twenty-a-day all her life and lived to 87. But she didn't drink.

You don't know that smoking killed your gran. Alcohol use is also a pretty big factor in heart disease.

Sure, I have a grandmother that smoked till she was 80 too. I don't think that actually makes smoking healthy or a good thing though just because there are rare exceptions of people who seem to survive such poor life choices!

I suspect the reason a lot of the younger generations of kids don't smoke cigarettes is because it makes you generally pretty unattractive. Botox can only do so much for a wrinkled up grey looking face.

Thank goodness nobody in the thread has called people dirty or peasants for smoking or smelling like smoke. Nor is there any connection between class and smoking for myriad reasons. 

It's all a bit much. A deep breath was long overdue. 

8 minutes ago, Week said:

Thank goodness nobody in the thread has called people dirty or peasants for smoking or smelling like smoke. Nor is there any connection between class and smoking for myriad reasons. 

Week,

For the third time… many, if not most, of the people I’m bitching about are my own blood relations.  Does that mean I’m still “classist” for disliking being involuntarily exposed to cigarette or marijuana smoke?

@Heartofice

I’m no longer attempting (unsuccessfully) to employ humor.  I really dislike smoking… pretty much any kind.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Week,

For the third time… many, if not most, of the people I’m bitching about are my own blood relations.  Does that mean I’m still “classist” for disliking being involuntarily exposed to cigarette or marijuana smoke?

Don't worry, Week is trying to make a WEAK dig at me for making a joke. You can't please some people. 

5 minutes ago, Week said:

Inhale. That's what the tobacco industry tells you.

Personally, I find that weed smell kinda chrismassy for some reason (don't ask, I can't explain it myself).

On an unrelated note.

Had to play chess on the WE. My opponent was somebody I have known since the mid 90s. I found the tabacco smell he evaporated kinda annoying, and to some degree surprising, as I wasn't really aware that he was a smoker. 

Reminds me. I have to buy new cigarettes for my dad, before I visit him later on. Chain smokers with a distinct taste. Gitanes without  filters are kinda hard to come by. Oh, for the smokers in the US. 8,20 € for a pack. Good thing I don't smoke.

These days it's like people who smoke cigarettes are from another age, its like watching a history documentary in real time! Going around Europe seeing people smoke is just bizarre. 10 years ago my whole office would pop out for smoke breaks, doing almost no work, now it never happens. All very positive.

Vaping is fucking weird though. Nobody looks cool doing that. Its better than smoking I guess but it just looks very very sad. 

27 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

I'm thinking of teaching a class on how to smoke weed discreetly without smelling like a blunt roach. 

I'm high af right now.

Just remember if you smell super skunky cologne does nothing.  You just smell like drakkar… and skunk.

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Just remember if you smell super skunky cologne does nothing.  You just smell like drakkar… and skunk.

Scot I'm a filthy commie hippie, I'd probably burst into flames if I got some cologne on me.  But there are some easy things people can do to stay weed odor free.  Maybe the one good aspect of weed being criminalized was that people learned very quickly how to do that.  DM me for 5 simple tricks to keep your boss off your ass and your neighbors happy.

Eta: here's some freebies:

1. Protect your body from direct contact with the product:

-Wear an impermeable jacket/windbreaker on your smoke break.

-Use a glass piece and don't smoke joints unless it's all you've got (and don't even bother with blunts). 

2.Take action to remove the whatever odors you were unable to avoid I'm step one:

-Wash your hands or at least use a wet wipe.  Brush your teeth if possible or at least chew some gum or have a mint.  

3.  Smoke in a well ventilated area away from people.  If you have to smoke in your car on a break from work, take a walk before returning to work.  

I'll tell you one massively good thing about decriminalizing weed...

How many times have people been harassed, or even killed, by lying cops who claim they smelled weed on the black kid they just stomped to death or shot in the back of the head as he was running away.

Officers Said They Smelled Pot. The Judge Called Them Liars.

Courts in New York have long ruled that if a car smells like pot, the police can search it. But now, a backlash is mounting.

Police officers can often justify a search with six words: “I smelled an odor of marijuana.”

Courts in New York have long ruled if a car smells like marijuana smoke, the police can search it — and, according to some judges, even the occupants — without a warrant.
But in late July, a judge in the Bronx said in a scathing opinion that officers claim to smell marijuana so often that it strains credulity, and she called on judges across the state to stop letting police officers get away with lying about it.

“The time has come to reject the canard of marijuana emanating from nearly every vehicle subject to a traffic stop,” Judge April Newbauer wrote in a decision in a case involving a gun the police discovered in car they had searched after claiming to have smelled marijuana.

She added, “So ubiquitous has police testimony about odors from cars become that it should be subject to a heightened level of scrutiny if it is to supply the grounds for a search.”

I'm sure even Scot will welcome the day when cops can't use the odour of weed as a pretext to destroy people's lives.

Archived