Football: The odds are not even

polishgenius

Just now, BigFatCoward said:

Agree to step back if they give you Phillips for peanuts.

Injuries though. Rice missed like 1-2 games last season?

I guess I need to stop calling him Tall Mark Noble

10 minutes ago, Raja said:

Arteta's wanted a different profile to Jesus/ Eddie - and Kai meets a lot of the stuff he wants - can play across the line, PL experienced, young.

60 million is a lot for him though

Half my problem with it is that Havertz has never looked even slightly convincing playing as the line-leader. At least not for Chelsea. He got forced into that role and hasn't looked good there, and buying him on that basis seems odd. If you want a CF I'd think you'd get someone whose position it actually is.

Getting him as a 10 who can also drift wide is more understandable, but then there are several options who can do that who haven't faceplanted in this league so far.

3 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Half my problem with it is that Havertz has never looked even slightly convincing playing as the line-leader. At least not for Chelsea. He got forced into that role and hasn't looked good there, and buying him on that basis seems odd. If you want a CF I'd think you'd get someone whose position it actually is.

Getting him as a 10 who can also drift wide is more understandable, but then there are several options who can do that who haven't faceplanted in this league so far.

Yeah, I think the interest has been greeted with a lot of skepticism

It's fine, I'm consoling myself by watching this

United's pursuit of Mount doesn't make sense either. Especially since Chelsea are demanding a ludicrous fee and Mount's wages are going to be huge - he apparently rejected a £200k/week offer from Chelsea. Surely we should be looking for someone who is more suited than Eriksen to playing alongside Casemiro and a much better backup for Casemiro than McTominay. We need better controllers in our midfield. Chaos-ball will get us nowhere.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

tbf Chelsea never looked like they had figured out how to use him properly. I said it back when they signed him, depends on the kinda football you want to play. He makes sense in a Guardiola team, but much less in a Klopp team with a more direct approach. 

Maybe Arsenal think about playing with a false nine (Arsenal have viable goal scoring options who can play wide with Saka), or they want an alternative/rotation option for Odegaard, which makes sense with the increased game load next season. Xhaka is on his way out, and Rice is presumably for the deeper mf positions. So Havertz taking over Xhaka's place alongside Odegaard might be another idea. I think the Xhaka/Odegaard ideas make the most sense on paper at least. I don't think they want him to play Trossard's position.  :dunno:

P.S.

If City really sign Rice, I'd ask City about Phillips availability.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

United's pursuit of Mount doesn't make sense either. Especially since Chelsea are demanding a ludicrous fee and Mount's wages are going to be huge - he apparently rejected a £200k/week offer from Chelsea. Surely we should be looking for someone who is more suited than Eriksen to playing alongside Casemiro and a much better backup for Casemiro than McTominay. We need better controllers in our midfield. Chaos-ball will get us nowhere.

Yeah I understand it a bit more than Havertz because he does improve on Erisken in the off-the-ball work, quite a lot. But it does commit us to Bruno-centric chaosball down the middle and while I do think that's not completely unworkable (especially since midfield shuttlers are much, much easier to come by than controlling technicians right now) at that point surely there are better options to do that than Mount. 

Wait....how does that make FSG liars and Klopp a dupe? Give us some context.

IMO, the only way Liverpool were getting Bellingham over Real Madrid was if Bellingham was dead set on returning to England which he was not. There's a pecking order and Real Madrid sits at the top. Most players would choose them over any other club.

Edited by Consigliere

6 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Wait....how does that make FSG liars and Klopp a dupe? Give us some context

I can't be bothered to dig up all the Klopp interviews and journo articles from the past 18 months about Bellingham. 

It was Bellingham , the reason why we didn't strengthen the midfield.

Why is that not an illegal approach from RM if it was 12-15 months ago?  How do those approach conversations even work now?

I’m not surprised any player chooses the glamorous serial CL winners who pay enormous wages.  I don’t think Bellingham was ever a clear reason for Liverpool not to buy a MF last year — I think that was all about the contract situations for Keita, Ox and Milner.  We had to wait for those contracts to expire.

I wouldn't put too much into those new signing press conferences.

It's a dream come true to play for this club. Great(est) club in the world, grat supporters atmosphere. I really want to play for this club, it honestly had nothing to do with money, pinky promise.

Had he signed for Liverpool, he would have said the exact same things. Then he'd always have had this dream of every English lad to play at Anfield win trophys for that great club. 

For most parts it's really interchangeable. 

37 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Why is that not an illegal approach from RM if it was 12-15 months ago?  How do those approach conversations even

Teams have conversations with players & sound them out before they speak to the team they play with.

I'd say every club in the PL do this, they don't make bids for players that they're not sure about coming to their club.

1 hour ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I can't be bothered to dig up all the Klopp interviews and journo articles from the past 18 months about Bellingham. 

It was Bellingham , the reason why we didn't strengthen the midfield.

Definitely annoying to waste like 4 windows waiting for a player we were never going to get. 

39 minutes ago, Raja said:

Teams have conversations with players & sound them out before they speak to the team they play with.

To be fair like though, they're not supposed to. Tapping-up's still not allowed so far as I'm aware, no?

In this instance though I'd imagine Dortmund knew about it. We've all known for two years that Bellingham's leaving this summer, and a lot of how Dortmund operate is persuading players with an eye on the biggest clubs that they're a good middle step to prove themselves elite. They lose that appeal if they make it harder for players to move on, so there's no incentive for them to block Madrid from speaking to Bellingham early on.