Football: The odds are not even

polishgenius

27 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

There are 115 charges against them. Not that I think they'll be punished.

Isn't that kind of the point? They'll wag their finger and slap their wrists, but in the end nothing. 

Anyways, hell of a year for City and their giant Viking king.

19 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Julian Alvarez joined the select group of players that won a Champions League, a Libertadores, a Copa América and a World Cup- alongside Dida, Cafu and Ronaldinho. He completed football at 23 years old, the bastard.

He's won the Premier League, Champions League and World Cup the same year. Has it ever happened?

Not that it's enough to make the Ballon d'Or top 3, though (you'd expect Messi, Haaland and Mbappé to make it, probably in that order...)

2 hours ago, Daemon the Leaner said:

He's won the Premier League, Champions League and World Cup the same year. Has it ever happened?

Not that it's enough to make the Ballon d'Or top 3, though (you'd expect Messi, Haaland and Mbappé to make it, probably in that order...)

EPL team winning the CL in a World Cup year is a very hard filter. If we extend it to won domestic league instaed of EPL it doesn't get much more inclusive. 

1994 CL winner was Milan (WC winner Brazil, Serie A Champion Milan) Nobody from the WC winning squad on the Milan team.

1998 CL winner was Real (WC winner France, La Liga winner Barca)

2002 CL winner was Real (WC winner Brazil, and La Liga Winner was... Valencia, reward yourself with a cookie if you knew remembered Valencia winning the Spanish league that year).

2006 CL winner Barca, (WC winner Italy, La Liga Champions Barca)  Italian internationals playing for Barca at that time? None. (Thiago Motta made his international debut years later after he left).

2010 CL winner Inter (WC winner Spain, Inter also won Serie A that year, but not one of them lifted the WC that year)

2014 CL winner Real (WC winner Germany, La Liga Champion Atletico)

2018 CL winner Real (WC winner France, La Liga Champions Barca)

2023 CL Winner Cheatey (WC Argentina, EPL Champions Cheatey) Alvarez* won all three titles.

*Technically speaking the world cup was in 2022 (it got moved due to that idiot winter World Cup Idea), so the relevant criteria would be CL winner Real, also La Liga Champion. But noone in their squad to lift the World Cup. 

If you include the predecessor competition to the CL, then yes. There have been several players that won the domestic league, champions cup and world cup in the same year. 1974 Bayern, Germany, and then it's Beckenbauer, Müller, Maier, Breitner, Schwarzenbeck, Hoeneß, Kapellmann. 

Spoiler

2026 CL Winner FC St. Pauli (WC Winner Australia, Bundesliga Champions FC St. Pauli) Jackson Irvine and Connor Metcalfe. 

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

The past week I've been watching what I can on youtube for this final's preview (part of the charm of a CL final is the buildup) and since it was an English club vs Inter, Manchester City, normally I've watched what the British pundits had to say. I have to be honest, they were terrible. Maybe you'll laugh but in the Balkans (Serbian, Croatian) the pundits are better, more professional, and have a better football knowledge and analyze the games a level above. 

All I've heard was hyping the City players, they'll destroy Inter 5-0, 7-0, and what not. OK, it's only natural to hype your domestic club, so these takes can be viewed as optimistic, so whatever. I won't watch their post-match review, as I bet none of them will admit they were wrong, but they'll only say City had an off-night so it has to be the only reason why it was so tight. 

Needless to say, none of these guys ever bothered to mention the 115 charges against City, nor they questioned their success. It was all Pep this, the players that, fantastic fans, great organization, management, and owners (WTF?). 

Another negative aspect was that ex-Manchester United, ex-Liverpool, Arsenal, etc. players, some of them legends, being included in the perversity of the whole thing. Must be painful seeing Rio Ferdinand wanking all over Manchester City's greatness, if you are a United fan. 

To sum it all up, it seemed to me like the football punditry sold out and now is a big harem that bent over Manchester City's might, and their terrible football takes and sucking up to City's whole organization looked like some disgusting orgy.

I remember United winning the Treble and even though I was really ABU at the time I still supported their win and cheered it. That felt like an incredible achievement and something monumental.

Last night I watched, half bored until the last 5 minutes. Then sort of shrugged as City celebrated. This city side can be admired but they don’t stir emotion and the difference between my own feelings and the way the commentators were talking about the achievement couldn’t be any bigger.

5 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

And ofc, the racists came out in force to tell Lukaku what they think of him.

Makes you wonder, if he still wants end his playing career there.

He can return to us. I wouldn't mind.

I feel like City winning stuff doesn't really count for anything.

That said I like their football and enjoyed seeing them beat defensive Inter.

I've never seen a single City shirt. Do they have fans outside Manchester?

1 hour ago, Darryk said:

That said I like their football and enjoyed seeing them beat defensive Inter.

Inter weren't that defensive. I mean City had more of the ball, 'cause it's City, but Inter played with two up front throughout and were trying to get numbers forward at every opportunity. The xg was about 2-1 in Inter's favour.