Trailer Thread: Reeling them in.

polishgenius

2 hours ago, IlyaP said:

I lack a lot of context here. Any chance I could tempt you to expatiate upon this? 

Sure

It's obviously thematically and stylistically a lot similar to Dune, too much for intellectual property right comfort. And the makers have historically made pure shite. The actors are just a bunch of big names roped in from every corner of the continent. Not that some of them aren't individually great, just here assured waste of potential. And I bet you bad CGI, worser acting and writing, no story whatsoever at any odds. I'm just regretting the reach these have in the west while the good uns are submerged.

15 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

It's obviously thematically and stylistically a lot similar to Dune, too much for intellectual property right comfort.

Still, no details, dude.  What is the substance they shall all fight to control that's the equivalent of Spice and what Spice does, including life extension, for instance?  The trailer doesn't show anything like a Dune parallels, so we only saw spectacle, and some of us, as you know, feel that's a good deal that movies are made for.   :cheers:

7 hours ago, Zorral said:

Still, no details, dude.  What is the substance they shall all fight to control that's the equivalent of Spice and what Spice does, including life extension, for instance?  The trailer doesn't show anything like a Dune parallels, so we only saw spectacle, and some of us, as you know, feel that's a good deal that movies are made for.   :cheers:

Let's wait and see then

11 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

In all fairness, that trailer had some definite Dune (2021) vibes.

Then, my bad, coz I missed it all together!  But then, I always in too much of a hurry these days, it seems.  Sigh.

Nevertheless, sez with plaintiff note, it would be helpful if somebody who sees this would point with a specific where and what Dune aspects should be looked out for in a second viewing of the trailer.  Sigh.

Edited by Zorral

On 7/31/2023 at 12:55 PM, Zorral said:

There seemed to be some religious themes in there. (someone holding a figurine that likely has religious symbolism). Futuristic desert warriors. Some faction getting betrayed and massacred. Main dude being a total badass that can upset the status quo. The parallels are there. 

I can only take TLW's word for it that the filmmakers aren't great- and tbh while it looks quite cool, just visually, I can't say the trailer made me think it's a very polished project so I can believe it. 

But if the trailer is all we have to go on I don't think there's much Dune there beyond some broad visual similarities, and even there I feel like there's as much Foundation in there as Dune. Like don't get me wrong I don't think it looks original, but it looks unoriginal in a 'generic epi sci-fi tropes' way, not a 'this is a specific Dune ripoff' way. To me, at least. 

4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

There seemed to be some religious themes in there. (someone holding a figurine that likely has religious symbolism). Futuristic desert warriors. Some faction getting betrayed and massacred. Main dude being a total badass that can upset the status quo. The parallels are there. 

OTOH, there is history and the history of religions, the historical thematic materials on which Herbert himself based his work.  Which is why I don't understand the concern, because these are world tropes, that return in motif in art and entertainment repeatedly, not property of any one group, much a movie studio or ab sf/f author -- though when it comes to sf/f Herbert seems to have done it the very best.

If the movie is badly made, if the budget isn't up to the spectacular pretension, that's wholly something else, and can be criticized.

9 hours ago, Zorral said:

Then, my bad, coz I missed it all together!  But then, I always in too much of a hurry these days, it seems.  Sigh.

Nevertheless, sez with plaintiff note, it would be helpful if somebody who sees this would point with a specific where and what Dune aspects should be looked out for in a second viewing of the trailer.  Sigh.

You want me to be specific about “vibes”?

-click-

Look, all I'm saying is that it's unless it's about a planet which holds a resource critical to the galaxy, on which lives a native culture, which is descended upon by the imperial forces of the greater galaxy, until a young man from that (western-coded) culture joins with the indigenous people, learns their ways but also teaches them and becomes a cultural hero, and unites them to fight the invaders, it's got nothing in common with Avatar Dune.

Edited by polishgenius

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Look, all I'm saying is that it's unless it's about a planet which holds a resource critical to the galaxy, on which lives a native culture, which is descended upon by the imperial forces of the greater galaxy, until a young man from that (western-coded) culture joins with the indigenous people, learns their ways but also teaches them and becomes a cultural hero, and unites them to fight the invaders, it's got nothing in common with Avatar Dune.

Yes and Avatar is Dances with Wolves in space. Everything is derived in some way from something else,except The Room. That one is a complete original. 

3 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Yes and Avatar is Dances with Wolves in space. Everything is derived in some way from something else,except The Room. That one is a complete original. 

Are you suggesting that I'm suggesting that Dune ripped off Avatar

49 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Are you suggesting that I'm suggesting that Dune ripped off Avatar

The other way round. Also saying that Avatar ripped off Dances with Wolves. It’s a mish mash of a lot of past stories and that’s fine because Art is like that, you’re always ripping off something or the other, consciously or subconsciously. So I’m quite okay with the Bollywood knock off. It’s not Eragon bad for sure :P 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II