Football: Windows of missed opportunities

46 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

I don't think they'll write it down as a loss in their books, as he spent three years there, yet his transfer to Arsenal is for a fee similar to what Chelsea paid to Bayer Leverkusen to sign him. 

Nah, fee was in range of like 90m I think.

38 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

I don't think they'll write it down as a loss in their books, as he spent three years there, yet his transfer to Arsenal is for a fee similar to what Chelsea paid to Bayer Leverkusen to sign him. 

At least the base fee without landmark bonus payments. I dunno what they agreed to, but he played quite a few games there, and he won the CL. I assume Chelsea already wrote off parts of the fee over a couple of seasons while he was there. So on the books Havertz might go down as profit. 

Anyway. Wanted to mention another story. You all love big daddy horse's story about football and club politics in Germany, don't you?

I mentioned in the past that their Qatar Airways sponsoring was not particularly popular with a sizable number of fans (and members) over at Bayern, and how their last General meeting was not particularly harmonious and protest banners on match days? That deal won't be renewed. That was the headline a couple of days ago. Both parties decided not renew the expiring deal by mutual consent was the official wording. Apparently Bayern's top brass wanted to renew that profitable deal, despite the ongoing protests, but Qatar has had enough. The Bayern fans homing in on their human rights record and making noise about it, was apparently not what this sponsoring deal was supposed to achieve. 

So PG and Consigliere have their work cut out for them.

5 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Nah, fee was in range of like 90m I think.

Euros vs. Pound.

In Pounds the fixed fee was similar check above. (62-70m). Not sure which landmark's were agreed for additional fees.

I think in terms of real money the benefit will be the wages. Havertz was presumably one of their top earners (not named Lukaku).  So Havertz probably took a pay cut (spare a thought) for this transfer. I don't think Arsenal will be paying him Abramovich money.

7 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

In Pounds the fixed fee was similar check above. (62-70m). Not sure which landmark's were agreed for additional fees.

I remember back in 2016 in boxing Kell Brook was supposed to fight Jesse Vargas, everything agreed. But Vargas' fee, paid from Brook's promoters budget, had been guaranteed in dollars, so when Brexit happened, it got 20% more expensive to pay him out of a British bank. So the fight fell apart and Kell Brook went on to jump up two divisions to fight Gennady Golovkin instead, oops. 

3 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Meanwhile, United are still faffing about and haven't made a single signing. Made a hash of De Gea's contract and the proposed takeover has turned into a complete and utter farce. This is not a serious operation.

Everton says hi.

39 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Yeah it's a good signing at a reasonable fee. Arsenal have been slick operators in the transfer market ever since Edu came in.

They've overpaid massively for Rice and Havertz. How is that 'slick'?

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Euros vs. Pound.

I think in terms of real money the benefit will be the wages. Havertz was presumably one of their top earners (not named Lukaku).  So Havertz probably took a pay cut (spare a thought) for this transfer. I don't think Arsenal will be paying him Abramovich money.

Fixed fee for Havertz for arsenal is like 50m with 15m add ons. The media shifted the reporting on to just talk about total package but that was the bid.

Edited by Mexal

16 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Didn't he say no a couple of days ago, because he felt he still had some top level football left in him?

He rejected their 20m a year, 3 years contract (60m in total) and requested more.

They accepted his demands and will pay him 100m over three years apparently.

Edited by The Sunland Lord

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

They got their targets and they got the deals wrapped up quick. 

Anyone can jump to the front of the queue for something if they overpay. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

4 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Anyone can jump to the front of the queue something if they overpay. 

May I introduce to Ed Woodward?

Anyway, United (the Manchester kind) have managed to overpay and draw out negotiations in the past.

Re: Rice & Havertz

Of course it remains to be seen if they improve on what we had, but I think what's pretty clear is that they vastly improve the squad, and Arteta has said multiple times that he wants a full squad that is ready to compete, and in our CM positions, besides Partey & Xhaka, and Jorginho later on, we didn't really have anyone else.

What matters  most to Arteta is technical ability and versatility, and I think Havertz has both of those things and he's still young.

As for 'slick' - I'm just glad we are getting our targets *early*

IMO, no player is actually 'worth' 100m but value has gone out of the window for the top 4-6 clubs - though it is still there of course and there are lots of examples ( Martinelli was a steal, ofc, but other clubs have shown there is value to be found if you look in the right places)

Lastly, what Mexal says here is correct - I'm not a religious man, but I imagine the closest I will come to  a religious experience is going to the arsenal stadium with the atmosphere that is currently around the place at the club. After years of strife, I'd say the fans are more together than ever, and Arteta & this team have created that.

7 hours ago, Mexal said:

’m thrilled we are relevant again (with an incredibly young squad) and I believe in the whole club (manager, front office, youth set up) in a way I haven’t in my time following them.

Edited by Raja