Football: Windows of missed opportunities

39 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

MacAllister's fee was an freakishly freaky aberration, due to a ridiculously low release clause, set when he was essentially a footballing nobody.

October last year?

4 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

October last year?

*checks calendar*

Yup, October was before the WC.

6 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Yes. So? Us overpaying doesn't mean you didn't. 

I said I was happy to pay the premium. And it remains to be seen if we've actually overpaid. What if he helps us win the league, or even the freakin' CL? 

Links between us and Hojlund seem to be getting stronger, though I dunno if more credible.

Anyway, I'd be happy enough with it (it would be another where I feel like we could get someone with a similar profile for less than we're likely to get him, though at the moment the quoted prices range from like 40mil to 80+ so the lower end of that would be more or less fine, and he does look really cool and does seem to fit the style ETH favours for CFs pretty strongly).

But if we get him the comparisons with Haaland are gonna be tiring after about a week 

Edited by polishgenius

12 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Well their surnames are certainly comparible.

He's a tall blonde Nordic kid who burst onto the scene by scoring five goals in his first two starts for Denmark. Comparisons are inevitable.

They're just not that similar though. Even if he reaches the full limits if his potential, which is high he's just not gonna score as many, he's not as natural a finisher. But also not as pure a goalscorer- which is why I like the idea of signing him. He'll never be Haaland but he might be Kane or Benzema-ish, though there's a loooooong way to go before he can dream of that.

Edited by polishgenius

Watching the Under 21s this England side aren't very England-y. Someone get it in the mixer ffs!

Also Levi Colwell is a good player. It feels like there's a decent chance Chelsea could be pretty good next year despite Todd Boehly's best efforts.

I posted a couple of months back that Liverpool’s new formation, which mimics City and Arsenal, looks like a re-emergence of W-M.

This video does a better job of illustrating that and showing why it’s becoming a potent formation.  I think it also highlights why Jones became more impactful, not just TAA, while showing the limitation of not having the right capability in the other 8 role at the time (Hendo’s hoofball was killing us).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fzQuLGuhSeE

41 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I posted a couple of months back that Liverpool’s new formation, which mimics City and Arsenal, looks like a re-emergence of W-M.

I did think there was a little bit of a question mark going into the summer whether Klopp was going to stick with the WM in attack as plan A for next season or was it just a stop gap measure to get through the end of last year. I think signing Szobozslai has answered that one as he looks very suited for that right sided 8 role in the box midfield.

The advantages of playing that way are a very clear but I am a little concerned that playing basically the same system as City plays into their hands a bit. One of the advantages we've had over the years is that Pep's always been very cautious playing Klopp's teams but I'd imagine they'll be pretty confident about matching up playing the same way.

Going from that mess last season to Lavia-MacAllister-Szoboszlai would be the biggest fucking leap. 

Does suggest they're sticking with TAA as an inverting right back rather than tucking him into midfield full time but that's not a huge surprise and should work fine so long as they build to cover for that, which they seem to be. 

7 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Going from that mess last season to Lavia-MacAllister-Szoboszlai would be the biggest fucking leap.

I imagine they'll probably stick with Fabinho as first choice next season. He had a bad year but he was looking better to end the season and Alexander-Arnold tucking in alongside him puts less pressure on him to cover so much space. They'll be hoping it was just fatigue/temporary loss of form to start the season. That he looked so knackered probably means they'd like to have his longterm replacement ready to go though (assuming that's not already Bajetic).

So this probably means we're out of the running for Khephren Thuram. If he turns out to be amazing for someone else that'll be irritating.

Ben Jacobs reporting this

Leipzig sporting director Max Eberl admits #MCFC are close to signing Joško Gvardiol. “Gvardiol and his agents gave us their desire to move to Manchester City. We are in talks with City [and] for €100m plus bonuses, Gvardiol will end up in Pep’s strong hands…

Homegrown players must be a significant consideration for Liverpool at this stage after seeing Milner and Ox depart plus Nat Phillips likely to exit too.  I’m surprised Adrian was retained as third choice GK because that’s an easy spot to allocate to homegrown.