US politics: just for you

Rippounet

So… Ron (who really needs to get his human suit adjusted) Desantis has come out in favor of eliminating the Department of Commerce… home of the National Weather Service.  

My thought is that this isn’t a particularly… responsible… position for the Governor of Florida… to advocate…

:shocked:

https://www.politicususa.com/2023/06/28/ron-desantis-national-weather-service.html

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

Not just that, he now opposes birthright citizenship as well. That's a stance which seems positively suicidal for a governor of a state where over 20% of population is foreign-born, but I guess he is going all-in on becoming president, or that he is hoping his primary stances will be conveniently forgotten by the next FL governor election (unfortunately, they probably will be).

15 minutes ago, Gorn said:

Not just that, he now opposes birthright citizenship as well. That's a stance which seems positively suicidal for a governor of a state where over 20% of population is foreign-born, but I guess he is going all-in on becoming president, or that he is hoping his primary stances will be conveniently forgotten by the next FL governor election (unfortunately, they probably will be).

He is term limited as governor, so appealing to Florida voters isn't his primary concern.  He could run for Senate I guess.  Neither Rubio nor Scott are all that popular. 

17 minutes ago, Gorn said:

No President has the power to end birthright citizenship by Executive Order.  Desantis and Trump saying this is purely performative.

Embarassingly so.

37 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

So… Ron (who really needs to get his human suit adjusted) Desantis has come out in favor of eliminating the Department of Commerce… home of the National Weather Service.  

My thought is that this isn’t a particularly… responsible… position for the Governor of Florida… to advocate…

https://www.politicususa.com/2023/06/28/ron-desantis-national-weather-service.html

I'm sure the goal is privatization.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

“If you want severe weather warnings make sure your subscription is updated to our ‘platinum’ service”.

At a time when it's getting harder in FL to find insurance for storms and floods.

Seriously, this idiot is actively harming his state in every possible way and would beat pretty much any Democrat in an election if it was held next week. 

In other news, zero surprises, SCOTUS strikes down the student loan forgiveness plan. Because conservatives hate nice things. 

Supreme Court limits LGBTQ protections in dispute over services for same-sex weddings
The high court ruled that a Christian web designer has a right to offer design services for opposite-sex weddings while refusing those services for same-sex weddings.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/06/30/supreme-court-limits-lgbtq-protections-in-dispute-over-services-for-same-sex-weddings-00104398

Supreme Court strikes down Biden’s student debt relief plan
In a 6-3 decision, the court’s conservative majority ruled that Biden’s effort to erase roughly $400 billion of student debt was an illegal use of executive power.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/06/30/supreme-court-strikes-down-bidens-student-debt-relief-plan-00104409

8 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Supreme Court limits LGBTQ protections in dispute over services for same-sex weddings
The high court ruled that a Christian web designer has a right to offer design services for opposite-sex weddings while refusing those services for same-sex weddings.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/06/30/supreme-court-limits-lgbtq-protections-in-dispute-over-services-for-same-sex-weddings-00104398

Supreme Court strikes down Biden’s student debt relief plan
In a 6-3 decision, the court’s conservative majority ruled that Biden’s effort to erase roughly $400 billion of student debt was an illegal use of executive power.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/06/30/supreme-court-strikes-down-bidens-student-debt-relief-plan-00104409

It is such a torturous ruling especially how they attempted to dance around this decision not justifying denying a black person the same services.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I certainly don't want to seem to be defending Ron DeSantis -- but when a right-wing politician advocates "eliminating" a department in the Federal Government, does that really mean that they want to eliminate all of its functions, or just remove it as a separate cabinet department with its own secretary and transfer its functions to other departments? One could certainly get rid of Commerce as a separate department (and even a lot of its other functions) without getting rid of the National Weather Service. I have always thought that conservatives tended to believe that decreasing the number of federal departments with their own cabinet secretaries would be a cost saving measure even if all the functions were retained. (I have no idea whether that's true, just think it's a conservative position.)

On the whole, the reversal of the debt cancellation is a very good thing. This was catastrophically bad policy in an inflationary environment: it simply hands out money without any corresponding increase in production. It also hands it out to people who are not the poorest (the vast majority of the latter simply do not go to college). Furthermore, it's unfair to the people who either paid off their loans or worked during college to avoid loans in the first place. Finally, it does absolutely nothing to address the root of the matter (i.e. high tuition) and thus almost guarantees that the clamoring for such actions will continue. The court did a big favor to the country by striking this political handout down.

With all of that said though, it's kind of amazing how when rich people and medium-sized corporations are set to lose money thorough their bad choices, the government steps in and completely uninsured bank deposits magically become fully insured because of risk to the system or something of the sort whereas when it's middle class people getting a handout, the meaning of the word "modify" becomes rather limited...

1 minute ago, Altherion said:

It also hands it out to people who are not the poorest (the vast majority of the latter simply do not go to college).

I don't think that's completely true, because as I understand it a very high % of college loan debt is held by poor or lower middle class people who took some college classes (or even trade school classes) but dropped out before getting a degree. They are the ones who most need the debt relief. 

10 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I certainly don't want to seem to be defending Ron DeSantis -- but when a right-wing politician advocates "eliminating" a department in the Federal Government, does that really mean that they want to eliminate all of its functions, or just remove it as a separate cabinet department with its own secretary and transfer its functions to other departments? One could certainly get rid of Commerce as a separate department (and even a lot of its other functions) without getting rid of the National Weather Service. I have always thought that conservatives tended to believe that decreasing the number of federal departments with their own cabinet secretaries would be a cost saving measure even if all the functions were retained. (I have no idea whether that's true, just think it's a conservative position.)

That is a fair criticism.  The article itself says in its headline “Desantis wants to eliminate the National Weather Service”.  I made a point to be more… specific… about Desantis’ proposal and possible consequence.  

But he could eliminate the Commerce Department and move the NWS somewhere else.

42 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

To add from the case, a *potential* web design business has the right to refuse working for a *fabricated* gay couple. 

I know I'm going to sound crazy but I think Biden's student debt cancellation was planned to fail.  I've read when they were figuring it out last summer that they could have tried to use some legislation from the 70s that gives the Secretary of Education the power to cancel debts, but instead used the emergency COVID powers to do it.  

Edited by Larry of the Lake

57 minutes ago, Guy Kilmore said:

It is such a torturous ruling especially how they attempted to dance around this decision not justifying denying a black person the same services.

That's my question. Can someone now bring a case claiming they don't have to provide the same service for an interracial wedding?

50 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I certainly don't want to seem to be defending Ron DeSantis -- but when a right-wing politician advocates "eliminating" a department in the Federal Government, does that really mean that they want to eliminate all of its functions, or just remove it as a separate cabinet department with its own secretary and transfer its functions to other departments? 

Just think about how they approached ACA. They wanted to end it without also having a plan in place. That's pretty much how they would handle most cases like this. Unless they have a clearly articulated plan written down they're also pushing through, the plan is simply to destroy. Do not doubt that because it's what the people who bought and own them want. 

42 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I don't think that's completely true, because as I understand it a very high % of college loan debt is held by poor or lower middle class people who took some college classes (or even trade school classes) but dropped out before getting a degree. They are the ones who most need the debt relief. 

From some quick searching, I don't think this is true (here's a link to a relatively neutral sounding source; most of the sources I found clearly have a side). From their summary:

Households in the lowest income quartile owe an estimated 12% of all student loan debt.

So there are some poorer households with student loan debt, but most of the debt forgiven would be held by middle class households. The cutoff for the loan forgiveness program that was struck down was an income of $125K for singles or $250K for married couples.

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

That's my question. Can someone now bring a case claiming they don't have to provide the same service for an interracial wedding?

Well, from the opinion, the answer is "No, because hum hum hmm hm". 

America:  You didn't answer, you just trailed off.

SC:  Yeah, I guess I did trail off there.