US politics: just for you

Rippounet

5 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Well, Charleston and NYC will face similar problems with insurers down the line.

Why would an insurance company write policies for property… they know… they will have to pay out upon?  

This is where the rubber meets the road.  Actuaries deal with data and make predictions based on that data.  When the data says writing will lose the company money… they stop writing policies regardless of the “social conservatives” belief that climate change is a “hoax”.

If they disagree they can start their own insurance companies and see how that works out for them…

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

27 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Why would an insurance company write policies for property… they know… they will have to pay out upon?  

This is where the rubber meets the road.  Actuaries deal with data and make predictions based on that data.  When the data says writing will lose the company money… they stop writing policies regardless of the “social conservatives” belief that climate change is a “hoax”.

If they disagree they can start their own insurance companies and see how that works out for them…

?

Not sure why you are telling me this. Charleston will face severe problems with floodings (rising sea levels) in the not so distant future. Insurers know this, I know this, pretty much anybody who is following the news knows this. NYC will also have fun with the rising sea levels. Parts of Florida will become close uninabitable. Insurance companies are just speeding up the movement away from Florida.  It's all about the water. Talking about water...there are probably also questions to be asked about Arizona's and parts of California's future.

9 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

?

Not sure why you are telling me this. Charleston will face severe problems with floodings (rising sea levels) in the not so distant future. Insurers know this, I know this, pretty much anybody who is following the news knows this. NYC will also have fun with the rising sea levels. Parts of Florida will become close uninabitable. Insurance companies are just speeding up the movement away from Florida.  It's all about the water. Talking about water...there are probably also questions to be asked about Arizona's and parts of California's future.

I’m agreeing with you and explaining why.

23 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Apparently Jack Smith has gotten Donald Trump another target letter for my birthday!  Wheeee!

Happy Birthday!  That Jack Smith, so thoughtful to think of you.   :cheers:    :commie:

25 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Apparently Jack Smith has gotten Donald Trump another target letter for my birthday!  Wheeee!

Happy Birthday! 

Smith apparently sent the target letter late on Sunday night, which is the best time to fuck with someone, IMHO.  Trump being Trump accidentally gave the game away on "Truth" social by mentioning the Insurrection Act, and now has made it public presumably to fuck with security arrangements for grand jury attendance.  

Hopefully the Georgia indictment and this indictment will both be issued in the next month. 

The real question is whether the rest of the Republican field will have the cojones to ask Trump to drop out. 

We can forget about any coordinated effort with grifting opportunists like Ramaswamy running.  But if de Santis, Pence and Christie all call for Trump to drop out to focus on his legal problems that will drive media coverage for all of July/August. 

The political opportunity is there to hit Trump hard on his obvious inability to serve as president while facing four separate criminal trials and many more investigations.  This may be the last chance for his cowardly lion opponents. We'll see.  

24 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

The real question is whether the rest of the Republican field will have the cojones to ask Trump to drop out.  

Asa Hutchinson ("who?" "exactly") has already released a statement saying Trump should 'suspend' his campaign. I wouldn't be surprised if Christie says something too. The rest will probably say nothing or even support Trump because they are dumb and/or have no strategy for beating him.

7 minutes ago, Fez said:

Asa Hutchinson ("who?" "exactly") has already released a statement saying Trump should 'suspend' his campaign. I wouldn't be surprised if Christie says something too. The rest will probably say nothing or even support Trump because they are dumb and/or have no strategy for beating him.

Pence opposing Trump's indictment for Jan 6. would spawn a million poli-sci papers about Stockholm syndrome. 

I'm hesitant to give the benefit of doubt to the undeserving, but perhaps political calculation will force their hand.  To have any prospect of taking down Trump a notch you need to do the hits on Fox News, and keep 'em coming.  

Seeing as it would seem none of the Republicans in Congress can bring themselves to get off the Trump bandwagon, even now, says that none of the alternate Presidential hopefuls will either...barring the couple already mentioned.  

14 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Seeing as it would seem none of the Republicans in Congress can bring themselves to get off the Trump bandwagon, even now, says that none of the alternate Presidential hopefuls will either...barring the couple already mentioned.  

There's no path for those who don't. You have to crush him to win. The smart candidates will go after him and if they fail, they fail, but they tried. The cowards that have no chance are the ones who try to play nice with the guy who is possibly going to jail. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

There's no path for those who don't. You have to crush him to win. The smart candidates will go after him and if they fail, they fail, but they tried. The cowards that have no chance are the ones who try to play nice with the guy who is possibly going to jail. 

Will be interesting if there are any other target letter revelations today...though Rudy says he didn't get one...

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

There's no path for those who don't. You have to crush him to win.

They've made their bed - of a rabid base - and now have to lie in it. With them You know what I mean. I'm loving it.

Oh, and Happy Birthday to @Jaxom 1974, how rude of me to forget it.

41 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Meanwhile, is Manchin going to be a spoiler with this No Labels third party nonsense? Why do we indulge him again? 

Because he's a fine Democrat who votes for almost every bill he hasn't nipped in the bud, after reducing it to like 10 percent of what it was meant to be... or something.

Edited by Mindwalker

17 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Meanwhile, is Manchin going to be a spoiler with this No Labels third party nonsense? Why do we indulge him again? 

Because WV is a R+48 state and Manchin isn't actually going to be a spoiler. 

No Labels is his way of gratifying his ego about his exceptional importance to the nation before he uses it as an excuse not to run an obviously doomed campaign for reelection to the Senate in WV against Jim Justice. 

25 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Will be interesting if there are any other target letter revelations today...though Rudy says he didn't get one...

Damn would it be funny if Rudy turned on him.

26 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

No. They've got some money behind them, but nothing close to enough. Once they see they're polling at 2% the plug will be pulled. 

16 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

They've made their bed - of a rabid base - and now have to lie in it. With them You know what I mean. I'm loving it.

They do. However that means you have to beat down the king. That's the only way to win. Playing king of the hill in a friendly way won't work and they all know it. Should be a good bit of fun to watch and hopefully whoever wins comes out broken and disgraced.