US politics: just for you

Rippounet

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Damn would it be funny if Rudy turned on him.

As he's flat broke, it might be surprising that he doesn't / didn't turn.  He's not got what it take$ to hold out.  However, other than the NYT etc. informing me that this flounder-with-hair-dye is broke, I don't know anything, of course.  That is pure spec on my part.

However, on the candidate side of the discussion, it is also reported that much of the funding for RFKjr is coming from libertarian 'Dems.'

Edited by Zorral

1 hour ago, Mindwalker said:

Because he's a fine Democrat who votes for almost every bill he hasn't nipped in the bud, after reducing it to like 10 percent of what it was meant to be... or something.

Because the alternative to a West Virginian dem senator is a very, VERY conservative republican senator who would have absolutely made sure that the ACA died in 2017. 

31 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Isn't No Labels partially funded by shady overseas money (ie probably the Russians?) I thought I read that, but I don't know how credible that allegation is. 

They won't disclose their donors, but a lot of them are center right Republicans. The hope for them many are guessing is that Trump doesn't get the nomination and then they can run a third party candidate that will hurt Biden enough to cost him the election. It's not really a new playbook for these types. I wonder what they'd do if Trump does win it. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

They won't disclose their donors, but a lot of them are center right Republicans. The hope for them many are guessing is that Trump doesn't get the nomination and then they can run a third party candidate that will hurt Biden enough to cost him the election. It's not really a new playbook for these types. I wonder what they'd do if Trump does win it. 

Trump will run from prison if he has to… does anyone doubt it?  If he is convicted and incarcerated he will have to do that to keep raising money for his appeals.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

I wondered on this forum a month or two ago why Jack Smith's team hadn't contacted Doug Ducey. 

Now, they have: https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/18/politics/ducey-trump-probe/index.html

When the histories of the DOJ are written after the successful prosecutions and opposing appeals all the way up to SCOTUS (as I devoutly hope), we have to resist the temptation to equate Jack Smith and his team with super-heroes.  The indictment is going to make damn interesting reading. 

Let's see if they actually found anything new beyond the Jan.6 committee report. 

If Meadows and Rudy have flipped (as I expect) then we will have crucial witnesses who will have sung for their supper.  But Cassidy Hutchinson knew much of what Meadows knew.  They will be most valuable for testimony stating directly that Trump admitted he lost the election but was determined to overturn the outcome anyway.  

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Trump will run from prison if he has to… does anyone doubt it?  If he is convicted and incarcerated he will have to do that to keep raising money for his appeals.

Pretty sure the goal is to run so he can't be sent to jail due to being a presidential candidate and then pardon himself if he wins.

Michigan AG charges participants in 2020 fake elector plot

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/18/politics/michigan-fake-electors/index.html

Sixteen fake electors who signed certificates falsely claiming President Donald Trump won Michigan in the 2020 election have been charged with crimes, state Attorney General Dana Nessel announced Tuesday.

House Dems' resolution will force GOP to defend or censure George Santos and his lies

https://gothamist.com/news/house-dems-resolution-will-force-gop-to-defend-or-censure-george-santos-and-his-lies

House Democrats want to strong-arm Republicans to publicly admonish one of their own, Rep. George Santos, for repeatedly lying to his constituents and Congress — or be on the record refusing to do so.

Rep. Ritchie Torres introduced a privileged resolution on Monday to censure Santos, the embattled eastern Queens and Long Island representative facing a barrage of investigations and inquiries into his background, which will force a vote on the measure despite Republican opposition.

“The breadth and depth of his deception is so staggering that it cries out for congressional punishment,” Torres said at a press conference on Monday. “A public censure is the least we can do to hold George Santos accountable.”

Neither Santos nor his spokesperson immediately responded to a request for comment.

Under House rules, Torres may call for a vote on the censure measure at a time of his choosing and then it must be voted on within two legislative business days.

The text of the resolution includes a list of some of Santos’ well-known mistruths, including claims that he’s Jewish and that his grandparents are Holocaust survivors; that his mother died in the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks; that he received a bachelor’s degree from Baruch College and attended the school on a volleyball scholarship and even that he produced the Broadway musical ‘‘Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark.”

If the censure resolution is adopted, Santos would need to stand on the House floor and hear the charges against him read aloud. The measure would need a majority vote to pass in the Republican-controlled House and already at least two Republican members have said they’d vote yes: Rep. Mike Lawler, who represents the Hudson Valley; and Rep. Nick LaLota, also from Long Island.

Last month, Republicans censured California Rep. Adam Schiff over his role investigating former President Donald Trump during his first impeachment trial.

In May, Democrats attempted to expel Santos from the House just a week after he was indicted in federal court on 13 counts of money laundering and wire fraud, but that effort was sidelined by House Republicans.

Santos already faces an investigation by the House ethics committee. But Democrats are accusing Republican leadership of “slow-walking the investigation” because they need Santos to maintain their paper-thin majority.

Democrats are expected to call up the resolution within the next two weeks ahead of the August recess, according to a Democratic staffer familiar with the matter.

The recess begins on July 31.

5 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

And which one do you want to be played by Rose McGowan. Bobo or Maggie?

Stop talking about one of my first crushes that way! She should probably play Devos just to really fuck with the role. 

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Stop talking about one of my first crushes that way! She should probably play Devos just to really fuck with the role. 

Not my fault that your crushes turn (out) crazy at some point. That simple truth raises some serious and seriously uncomfortable quesitons about your dog, what is the exact nature of your relationship? Is that the reason why DMC is atm on posting hiatus?

You really don't have to answer those questions, and I already regret asking them.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

House Dems' resolution will force GOP to defend or censure George Santos and his lies

https://gothamist.com/news/house-dems-resolution-will-force-gop-to-defend-or-censure-george-santos-and-his-lies

George Santos is the logical progression of voters just shrugging their shoulders at the increasingly brazen lies of politicians because 'they all do it.'

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

explusion, not censure is the right remedy for Santos.  By censuring him, the Dems are giving NY Republicans an easy out.  

46 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Not my fault that your crushes turn (out) crazy at some point. That simple truth raises some serious and seriously uncomfortable quesitons about your dog, what is the exact nature of your relationship? Is that the reason why DMC is atm on posting hiatus?

You really don't have to answer those questions, and I already regret asking them.

My mom literally punched a horse in the face when she was a kid. She taught me well. Dressage lightly. :P

13 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Is DMC OK? Not visiting forum is probably a sign of wisdom and growth etc., but I have wondered where he is especially since it's possibly summer vacay from work for him....

I'd bet on following Dead & Company during the summer break since it's their "last" tour. I mean who the fuck wants to spend the summer in Florida anyway?