What if Janos Slynt was an Unsullied?

Corvo the Crow

Since there are some what ifs going around again, here's a what if from me.

We know that Steffon Baratheon bought a slave, patchface during his bride-quest so Westerosi noblemen visiting the free cities buying a slave isn't out of the question, what if someone, say Tywin bought some unsullied as a gift for Aerys and Janos Slynt was among them, this Janos Slynt rose among the gold cloaks like the normal Janos Slynt did and kills the baby again. What would be the fandom's reaction? Would he still be a disgusting human being for killing the baby or is it now ok for him to kill the baby since he is an unsullied?

He would not have his two sons since he was a eunuch which could potentially have side-effects. He would also most likely be mocked by the other goldcloaks for being a eunuch and so not get command in the first place... and so never be in the position where he kills the baby in the first place.

3 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

He would not have his two sons since he was a eunuch which could potentially have side-effects. He would also most likely be mocked by the other goldcloaks for being a eunuch and so not get command in the first place... and so never be in the position where he kills the baby in the first place.

But, perhaps he would have Varys' backing since he also is one. 

I do not regard the killing of babies by the unsullied trainees to be a voluntary act, done of their own volition and free will.  So if he kills a baby when he is no longer an unsullied, he is fully responsible and I at least would be disgusted.  Just like if Grey Worm did something like that.  He would be responsible.

14 minutes ago, Nevets said:

I do not regard the killing of babies by the unsullied trainees to be a voluntary act, done of their own volition and free will.  So if he kills a baby when he is no longer an unsullied, he is fully responsible and I at least would be disgusted.  Just like if Grey Worm did something like that.  He would be responsible.

They have a choice, they may very well kill the slave owner instead of the baby. If this kind of behaviour is repeated over and over again, then the baby-murder part can be omitted from "how to train your unsullied" manual. Won't even mention the fact that in a society which has a rather high number of slaves compared to the freeborn, arms these slaves and the army is also almost entirely made up of slaves, there's a noticable lack of slave rebellions.

I read that the idea behind not allowing the defence of coercion to apply for murder is that, morally speaking, you are supposed to give up your own life before taking another's. Having said that, the Unsullied were also drugged, though it is unclear exactly what effects the Wine of Courage has other than making them ignore pain.

If, during the course of a very brutal training regime, Slynt was told to kill a baby, or else die horribly, I would say view that as a huge mitigating circumstance.  I would place the moral blame for the murder on the person giving the order.

If Lord Commander Slynt chose to kill a baby then the blame would be his alone.

That’s not a difficult question to answer.

Just now, SeanF said:

If Lord Commander Slynt chose to kill a baby then the blame would be his alone.

I don't think Unsullied!Janos and regular Janos can even exist in the same timeline. I really don't see the Goldcloaks making an emotionless, humourless Eunuch their Commander. Not to mention the Unsullied are supposed to not care about stuff like bribes, which regular Janos does.

On 6/30/2023 at 6:15 PM, Corvo the Crow said:

Since there are some what ifs going around again, here's a what if from me.

We know that Steffon Baratheon bought a slave, patchface during his bride-quest so Westerosi noblemen visiting the free cities buying a slave isn't out of the question, what if someone, say Tywin bought some unsullied as a gift for Aerys and Janos Slynt was among them, this Janos Slynt rose among the gold cloaks like the normal Janos Slynt did and kills the baby again. What would be the fandom's reaction? Would he still be a disgusting human being for killing the baby or is it now ok for him to kill the baby since he is an unsullied?

Bashing on Janos Slynt to try to justify what Jon did to him?

The North kill their babies by the wagonloads when they leave them to perish out in the elements.  The Starks as a family had to have murdered more babies than one lone Janos Slynt.

Janos Slynt, the one we know in the actual text, would have failed the culling to become an Unsullied.  The training and the tests are nothing like what he went through in Westeros.  The Unsullied are the cream of the crop, the top notch, among fighting soldiers.  Janos was a regular guy who knew how to play politics and obey the right people.  I have read nothing in the actual text to indicate he has the superior mental strength and excellent self discipline required of an Unsullied infantryman.