Unpopular Opinions You Have?

20 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

12 hours ago, Nevets said:

As for the Night's Watch, I doubt they take babes in arms.

They do. Mances Rayder for example 

They are able to care for the two babes because there are women at the Wall.  Fortunately for the babies, there are plenty of wet nurses available.   First, they allowed Gilly and her babe to stay, then more were brought in when the wildings crossed the Wall.

17 minutes ago, LongRider said:

They are able to care for the two babes because there are women at the Wall.  Fortunately for the babies, there are plenty of wet nurses available.   First, they allowed Gilly and her babe to stay, then more were brought in when the wildings crossed the Wall.

I meant Mance himself was a baby raised a crow. But for sure, Gilly's kid is likely to relive this life 

1 minute ago, Hugorfonics said:

I meant Mance himself was a baby raised a crow. But for sure, Gilly's kid is likely to relive this life 

How old was Mance when he came to the Wall?

3 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

I thought... Baby?

I got no idea lol. I used to know this stuff. Gimmie a minute...

I just looked at the wiki, and it says Mance came to the NW as a child, so he must not of been a suckling babe, but a child covers alot of territory.    :dunno:

5 minutes ago, LongRider said:

How old was Mance when he came to the Wall?

I don't have an age, and if I did it's not baby, but child

"He liked women, Mance did, and he was not a man whose knees bent easily, that's true. But it was more than that. He loved the wild better than the Wall. It was in his blood. He was wildling born, taken as a child when some raiders were put to the sword. When he left the Shadow Tower he was only going home again."

3 minutes ago, LongRider said:

I just looked at the wiki, and it says Mance came to the NW as a child, so he must not of been a suckling babe, but a child covers alot of territory.    :dunno:

Yea exactly. Like Jon all of 15 is hearing this story, which is definitely according to me at least, a child. But if I were to guess id put Mances are in between Rickon and Sansa, so like 6-12 imo 

11 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Yea exactly. Like Jon all of 15 is hearing this story, which is definitely according to me at least, a child. But if I were to guess id put Mances are in between Rickon and Sansa, so like 6-12 imo 

That makes sense.  If there was a need for a wet nurse, Moletown might be able to provide.  Might be a few crow bastards there. 

27 minutes ago, LongRider said:

That makes sense.  If there was a need for a wet nurse, Moletown might be able to provide.  Might be a few crow bastards there. 

I'd say the chance of that is highly likely. Although the hookers of Westeros use moon tea religiously and with the heavy no no on crows fathering children I think there's some type of unwritten arrangement so that's not a heavy thing. However, it is still a numbers game so I still agree the chances are high.

6 hours ago, frenin said:

-Toddlers heirs to the throne that need to be get rid of is also an extraordinary circumstance.

-it is inmaterial that the Wall is the gulag, what matters is that the Watch is a completely acceptable way of getting rid of political enemies without people making a fuss.

-No, we see Ned refusing to kill children, kill, Ned never once believes the Wall as beneath him.

You're making up a personality trait in Ned that it is not there.

There's nothing dishonorable by their standards in sending kids to the Wall, you're making that up.

-Ned and Jon Arryn would obviously raise hell if Robert or any rebel were to publicly kill the chlidren, any other outcome however...

-

• He's got an army, not the biggest one even.
  • Ned cannot simply leave with two enemies of state lol, there is a reason he's had Jon hidden in plain sight, because it is dangerous af.
  • Ned doesn't consider a bad place.

-That's not what he says.

And Benjen tells him that the Watch is undermanned and in need of attention, which he is perfectly willing to give, not without saying that when this decision would be made, Benjen would still be the Stark in Winterfell.

The Watch may not be a place for his kid, and he still sent him there, but the place for his mortal enemy's kid? Sure it is.

There's certainly a disconnect about what Ned feels and thinks about the Wall and what readers think a decent character like Ned ought to feel and think about the Wall.

-they can be exiled or made wards of..its not just death or wall

-yeah sending kids to a gualag isnt neds style

-sending men to the wall yes not kids ,.its cowardice plain and simple. As we see with jon its far easier to simply keeping their true identify secret

-doesnt have to be the biggest just big enough (giggity) and no robert isnt killing ned over this

The issue is here at this stage ned hasnt  gone south and found jon yet.

Dorne and the reach are still pro targ as is dragonstone and the crownlands as well as the substantial royal fleet off dragonstone (to be wrecked early next year in a storm as dany is born). So overall its even more awkward to keep them alive but with ned ,jon and robert generaly being honourable men theyl take their chances with a future threat over soing something.wicked now.

Side note jamies thoughts if i recall was that he was there in maegors keep and busy but had he the time he  feels he would have safeguarded rhaegars kids  thus another important figurehead would be there saying they arent to be killed.

Another issue is the oaths..would people still see oaths taken by those too young to understand them as to be honoured? Id  doubt it 

More and more seems far more likely the kids would have been  comfortably exiled or taken as wards. The garrison on dragonstone told to stand down and deals worked out.  Doran will not side idely by if his living nephew and neice are givenndeath or the watch as options

and  theres elia i suppose in this scenario too!  if the kids survived she must surely do so  too.....is she also to be sent to the watch?

Edited by astarkchoice

Have I already written this? I probably have, but to repeat: all central Essosi / Slaver's Bay militaries (the Dothraki, the Unsullied, the Clanker armies, Legions of New Ghis) are basically militarily worthless or at least heavily outmatched compared to armies of Westeros.

1 hour ago, Aldarion said:

Have I already written this? I probably have, but to repeat: all central Essosi / Slaver's Bay militaries (the Dothraki, the Unsullied, the Clanker armies, Legions of New Ghis) are basically militarily worthless or at least heavily outmatched compared to armies of Westeros.

Dunno sorta agree with some of this 

The big issue is grmm has written the unsullied and dothraki in such a way (historical fantasy over reality)  theyd have to all be exceptionaly skilled as individuals or be  exceptional teamworkers almost to the  point of being like ants or a flock of birds evading a predator  to be useful (or a mix of both those extremes works )

The dothraki would have to be horse archers forces with co cordination and personal skill  never seen in  real hun or mongol forces  to  compensate for  their other weaknesses OR be exceptionaly blind to heavy casulties and just stupidly  feel a win is a win no matter how many dead  they leave on the battlfield!!!

The unsullied have been done to death here , grmm says they are elite and its his world  , tyrion feels they are no better or worse than  spearmen in his own country , westerosi style sellswords arent keen to face them  turn allegiance . Their equipment is almost identical to description of dornish infantry(spears,swords  and small round shields)  who have handled  fighting in westeros just fine, so have the  ironborn who even undiciplined can take a few cavalry charges with just an old fashioned shieldwall!! ...by contrast we know the unullied lite(new ghis legions) form 3 deep  anti cav squares so the real thing probably can too.......overall even if we think the absolute worst case you have to be pretty stupid to not see how suicicidaly obedient freakishly drilled troops could be useful in many tactical scenarios!  Kamikaze eunchs !!  Overall they shouldnt be able to.do half the shit they do being eunuchs..but they do so we have to take it as its grmms world not real

Clankerlords: now generaly the slave armies/forces must   be a mix of lifetime professional slave castes (volantos tiger guards  for example)and as slavers  of course they also can mass consript basic meatsheilds such as the bulk of the shitshow outside mereen!  for a show of decadance due to their massive arrogance at what they feel is an easy win. 

Now thats said theres clearly some professiobal siege engineers in there as we hear of trench lines and trebuchets being built....someone among those idiots knows their craft.

Overall the 3  main slavers bay armed forces seem to rely on quantity over quality.

New ghis legions: non eunuch 1 year commited professionals backed by armoured and towed elephants and hired slingers and crossbowmen.....this seems.a bizzare mix but def one that could be formidable anywhere.

Edited by astarkchoice

I don’t know if this is unpopular or not, but I think it’s a bummer that, with the exception of Rhaena, we never learned more about Maegor’s wives as people. Aegon the Unworthy’s mistresses feel more complex just based on the little blurbs about them in the world book than five of the six wives do in all of FnB. If they ever do adapt this era for screen in some way, that’s one area that could definitely be hugely improved upon.

12 hours ago, astarkchoice said:

The big issue is grmm has written the unsullied and dothraki in such a way (historical fantasy over reality)  theyd have to all be exceptionaly skilled as individuals or be  exceptional teamworkers almost to the  point of being like ants or a flock of birds evading a predator  to be useful (or a mix of both those extremes works )

The dothraki would have to be horse archers forces with co cordination and personal skill  never seen in  real hun or mongol forces  to  compensate for  their other weaknesses OR be exceptionaly blind to heavy casulties and just stupidly  feel a win is a win no matter how many dead  they leave on the battlfield!!!

Or maybe their enemies were just as useless...

The unsullied have been done to death here , grmm says they are elite and its his world  , tyrion feels they are no better or worse than  spearmen in his own country , westerosi style sellswords arent keen to face them  turn allegiance . Their equipment is almost identical to description of dornish infantry(spears,swords  and small round shields)  who have handled  fighting in westeros just fine, so have the  ironborn who even undiciplined can take a few cavalry charges with just an old fashioned shieldwall!! ...by contrast we know the unullied lite(new ghis legions) form 3 deep  anti cav squares so the real thing probably can too.......overall even if we think the absolute worst case you have to be pretty stupid to not see how suicicidaly obedient freakishly drilled troops could be useful in many tactical scenarios!  Kamikaze eunchs !!  Overall they shouldnt be able to.do half the shit they do being eunuchs..but they do so we have to take it as its grmms world not real

Well, looking at this now, I have another possibly unpopular opinion: it is entirely possible Martin knows absolutely nothing about medieval military tactics.

Spearmen can be useful, but there is a reason why pikemen historically dominated. And a three-ranks-deep anti-cavalry formation is completely useless even if you are using pikes: cavalry will just physically smash right through it on a first charge.

Cleftjaw got smashed by Rodrik the Whiskerless. Last time Dorne entered a battle, they ended up on the losing side, despite having superior numbers  and being on the defensive on a major river crossing, really speaks volumes on their usefulness.  

Edited by Corvo the Crow