THIS DAY IN HISTORY!

LongRider

August 18, 1920

The 19th Amendment to the US Constitution, which gave women in the US the right to vote achieved the requisite 36 ratifications to secure adoption, and thereby go into effect, on August 18, 1920.  However, not all American women were given this right as the Nineteenth Amendment failed to fully enfranchise African American, Asian American, Hispanic American, and Native American women.

August 20, 1619

1619 1st known African Americans in English North America (approx. 20) land at Point Comfort (Fort Monroe), Virginia. They are then sold or traded into servitude.

August 20, 1866

President Andrew Johnson formally declares US Civil War over

August 21 1863

Confederate guerilla fighters under the command of William C. Quantrill commit a massacre in the town of Lawrence, Kansas, a bastion of abolotionist. 183 citizens get killed, and a quarter of the houses get burned down.

Hawaii becomes the 50th state of the US.

In Russia a coup attempt against Gorbachev fails.

Latvia becomes an Indepedent state. (I wasn't aware it happened on the very same day as that failed coup in Russia, the more you know...)

21 August 1689. The small-scale but vicious Battle of Dunkeld took place, fought from the cathedral and in the narrow streets of a small Scottish town on the banks of the Tay. Jacobites fresh from victory but having lost their leader at the more famous Battle of Killiecrankie descended on a regiment of Williamite soldiers garrisoned at Dunkeld. Full account. Would make a good film. 

Edited by dog-days

8 hours ago, dog-days said:

Would make a good film. 

Dang you!  Here I go now, immediately speculating on how the screen could dramatize and frame the figures and the meetings and the go-betweens  etc. that resulted in the Powers That Pee On All strike the plan -- or was it a solution? -- to officially invite William and Mary to the Brit throne.

23 August 1944: Mihai I, the young king of Romania, leads a successful coup against the pro-Nazi government of Marshal Ion Antonescu. With the Red Army right at Romania's border, Mihai declares war on Germany, thus having Romania switch sides in the war. Despite a declared general armistice the soviets still take over 130k Romanian soldiers prisoners and ship them off to Siberia.

The coup caught Germany by surprise and the German forces in Romania pretty much had to retreat. The Red Army advanced without resistance. With Romania's oil fields now denied to Germany and the soviets not having to fight their way through Romania, the end of the war was hastened. (Some claim by 6 months) Romania came under Soviet occupation. 

During Romania's decades of communist rule afterwards, this date was its national holiday.

Edited by Corvinus85

24 August 1896

A woman walked into a bar, ordered a bottle of ale.  She drank the ale, paid the bartender and left.  This made the headlines.  

https://mstdn.social/@CarveHerName/110943319130811755

I can't seem to get Mastadon to post like twitter, so please click on the link to see the post and the article.   :cheers:

24 August 1932

Amelia Earhart becomes first women to fly solo coast to coast across the USA.  Earhart piloted her Lockheed Vega 5B from Los Angeles to Newark in a record 19 hours and 5 minutes.

Edited by LongRider

27 August 1883

The biggest explosion the world has ever known – an estimated 13,000 times greater than the bomb that destroyed Hiroshima – happened on this day as eruptions of the Krakatoa volcano reached their climax.

Krakatoa: The World’s Mightiest Explosion - On This Day

INteresting, I thought the Tsar bomb was the most powerful explosion the world as ever known, but it wasn't quite as powerful as Krakatao (Krakatao was 4x more powerful).

However, that asteroid that hit Earth and wiped out the dinosaurs was still a much more powerful event.

And I assume the event, that caused the moon to be blasted off from the planet was an even more powerful event.

23 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

INteresting, I thought the Tsar bomb was the most powerful explosion the world as ever known, but it wasn't quite as powerful as Krakatao (Krakatao was 4x more powerful).

However, that asteroid that hit Earth and wiped out the dinosaurs was still a much more powerful event.

And I assume the event, that caused the moon to be blasted off from the planet was an even more powerful event.

Unfortunately, we don't know what date it was as no one recorded it.  Lazy dinosaurs!  They didn't write anything down.   

Edited by LongRider

1 minute ago, LongRider said:

Unfortunately, we don't know what date it was as no one recorded it.  Lazy dinosaurs!

Recorded history wasn't prerequisite for the claim biggest explosion the world has ever known. And I think we can agree, had the dinosaurs accepted Jesus in their heart as their savior god wouldn't have sent that asteroid in the first place.

Anyway.

Black Hawk surrenders and thus ending the Black Hawk War

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

And I assume the supernova that resulted in the eventual creation of our solar system was bigger still. :P

28th of August.

On this day 13.81 bn years ago

God said there'll be light, inadvertantly setting off the big bang, creating the universe and thus indirectly starting the whole sad affair of human history.

So happy birthday universe.