US Politics: Hell Yes THEY Were Trying to Overthrow the Government

Zorral

I just want a scrapbook filled with pictures of Trump's firsts in prison. First terrible meal. First time he sees his toilet. First time he's going into solitary. First time the Crips are about to jump his ass. First time he drops the soap and the fear sets in. 

The profits from it could probably end world hunger.

The political and religious entwinement in the USA: "a gallows and 'Jesus Saves' "

Losing Our Religion review: Trump and the crisis of US Christianity by Russell Moore.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/aug/13/losing-our-religion-review-trump-crisis-christianity

.... Moore’s public and persistent opposition to the election of Trump set him apart from most white evangelicals and would lead to his departure from the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC).

“The man on the throne in heaven is a dark-skinned, Aramaic-speaking ‘foreigner’, who is probably not all that impressed by chants of “Make America great again,” Moore wrote in spring 2016. “Regardless of the outcome in November, [Trump’s] campaign is forcing American Christians to grapple with some scary realities that will have implications for years to come.”

He was prescient. Graham’s son, Franklin, threatened Americans with God’s wrath if they had the temerity to criticize Trump. At the time, Moore was president of the SBC ethics and religious liberty commission. His politics forced him to choose. He opted for Christ and his convictions. He joined a nondenominational church.

His new book is subtitled “An Altar Call for Evangelical America” but it aims for a broader audience. It contains ample references to Scripture, but also to the journalist Tim Alberta, Jonathan Haidt of New York University, Robert Putnam, author of Bowling Alone, and Robert Jones of the Public Religion Research Institute, a nonpartisan group.

Of white evangelicals, Moore quotes Jones: “Their greatest temptation will be to wield what remaining political power they have as desperate corrective for their waning cultural influence.” Welcome to the culture wars, and to what Ron Brownstein of the Atlantic has called the coalition of restoration.

Against the backdrop of rising Christian nationalism and January 6, Moore reads the writing on the wall. He is troubled by the shrinking gap between Christian nationalism and neo-paganism. “The step before replacing Jesus with Thor is to turn Jesus into Thor,” he observes. Moore found the presence of prayers in “‘Jesus’s name’ right next to a horn-wearing pagan shaman in the well of the evacuated United States Senate” disturbing, but not coincidental. ....

A smart legal cookie explains why moving the case to the Georgia Fed courts won't change anything, including it's still state conspiracy so a POTUS pardon can't be in play.  It's still tried under Georgia State Law.

https://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/mark-meadows-seeks-to-move-georgia-conspiracy-case-to-federal-court-190902853685

The big change would be the jury pool.

18 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

I do find myself wondering at the quality of evidence for the Trump kid's criminal activities. Perhaps it is not as good as those on the left believe?

No it's just that there's been no proper investigation by the DOJ of Jared's activities.  You would think a $2 billion dollar deal would set off red flags at the Public Integrity Division but they are just hitting snooze on the alarm there. 

This is because Merrick Garland was every conservative's favorite Democrat before they killed his USSC nomination, and Lisa Monaco is a political animal.  Just no fire in the belly, and no sense of outrage.  

14 minutes ago, Zorral said:

A smart legal cookie explains why moving the case to the Georgia Fed courts won't change anything, including it's still state conspiracy so a POTUS pardon can't be in play.  It's still tried under Georgia State Law.

https://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/mark-meadows-seeks-to-move-georgia-conspiracy-case-to-federal-court-190902853685

The big change would be the jury pool.

It won't be moving, not in Meadows case. 

Maybe Trump's attempt will succeed, but even then, don't think so [and yes, I'm prepared for Kal's laugh reaction :p]

47 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I just want a scrapbook filled with pictures of Trump's firsts in prison. First terrible meal. First time he sees his toilet. First time he's going into solitary. First time the Crips are about to jump his ass. First time he drops the soap and the fear sets in. 

The profits from it could probably end world hunger.

I don’t think they’ll let him bronze in prison. He’ll be shockingly white. 

13 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

To quote Negan, "It's gonna be pee-pee pants city here real soon. Looks like it has finally sunk in to Meadows that he might finally experience the same horrific conditions for prisoners that he advocates for. And he is in no way prepared for this.

Mark Meadows seeks to move Georgia prosecution to federal court
Trump himself is expected to follow suit with a motion to transfer the case out of Georgia state court.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/15/meadows-georgia-case-federal-court-00111382

This is smart lawyering because this is a (somewhat) debatable legal proposition and the motion could potentially go all the way up to the Supreme Court thus running out the clock.  We'll see how much interference the Court wants to run for Trump and his acolytes. 

For Meadows to file this first (he has the strongest chance of success amongst the 19) is evidence of coordination between his lawyers and Trump's.   That indicates that rumors he has flipped are perhaps exaggerated although he has certainly provided sufficient cooperation to avoid being indicted (for now) in the federal proceedings.  

This takes me to a broader point.  Fani Willis has brought the claim the DOJ could and should have brought first if it had hit the ground running on 20 Jan 2021. 

The insistence on a "bottom-up" investigation in accordance with DOJ policy when the facts of Trump's criminality were ubiquitous and in the public domain was a massive fuck-up (i've said this a couple of times now).  Memories faded, messages were deleted, the outrage of Jan 6 faded, and even the Jan 6 committee was off to a very slow start.  Nothing signals weakness more to the US' foreign adversaries than its failure to robustly defend its democracy.  If you had told me on Jan 21, that the DOJ would take 2.5 years to indict Trump based on facts that were mostly in the public domain, I wouldn't have believed you.  

Between the McConnell's failure to allow Trump to be impeached and removed from office prior to Jan 20., and DOJ's slow response there is a very real cost to allowing his participation back in the public domain.  We are genuinely courting catastrophe by allowing the voters to decide in 2024 if they want Trump back in the WH.   The delay has also signfiicantly weakened the legal case.  Jury members simply won't have a clear recollection of what happened between Nov. 2020 and 6 Jan 2021.  

13 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

For Meadows to file this first (he has the strongest chance of success amongst the 19) is evidence of coordination between his lawyers and Trump's.   That indicates that rumors he has flipped are perhaps exaggerated although he has certainly provided sufficient cooperation to avoid being indicted (for now) in the federal proceedings.  

I'd understood this as in order to change the venue to Federal Meadows would have to be able to prove he was just performing his duties as Drumpf's CoS, no? So, criminality falls within that scope now?

Cray cray :p

I don't even see Robert's SC agreeing to hear it, if it makes it that far. 

5 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

And a more friendly/ white jury pool in federal court? (Once it's federal, you demand to move it to West Virginia bc DC is so prejudiced and 'WV is far more diverse.)

ETA: Sounds like Meadows will probably get out of this:

I saw analysts on CNN explain that Trump was endlessly insulting the people of Washington DC to taint the jury pool. And he really has insulted folks in DC. That way he can claim that he can’t get a fair trial and it has to be moved to West Virginia.

1 hour ago, JGP said:

I'd understood this as in order to change the venue to Federal Meadows would have to be able to prove he was just performing his duties as Drumpf's CoS, no? So, criminality falls within that scope now?

Cray cray :p

I don't even see Robert's SC agreeing to hear it, if it makes it that far. 

I think Meadows is gonna argue he did as told as COS which is what the job title entails and because Article II vests the executive power in the president.  

The district court cannot remand on the basis that what Meadows did is criminal - that would be pre-empting the final jury verdict.   I think the DA has drafted the indictment so that some of what she alleges is part of a criminal conspiracy can also be characterized as part of the job duties of the COS.  The specific focus will be on whether the totality of acts Meadows has alleged to have committed fall within the COS description, partly fall within the role, or are completely outside.  That's why it is debatable, at least for him.  And that's why he's going first.  Because making a similar argument for Trump is a LOT more difficult.  But splitting the trial isn't feasible either.  

That's my understanding, but federal criminal law is not exactly my field.  

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I wonder if he gets cooking detail would we see a picture of him with a hairnet on? 

I wanna see the warden give him extra KP duties throwing the ketchup against the walls. 

Look, I'm as giddy of the thought of him in prison as anyone, but I think it's possible that even if he is convicted, it'll just be a confinement to his residence bc "how could we possibly protect him in jail?!" (So we won't even try to figure it out and nvm that we have prison facilities on military bases etc.)

Plus I still wouldn't rule out even Biden pardoning him, let alone any Republican president. As far as state charges... Thanks to the new law, Willis could be removed any time for her raging "far-left marxist" activities.

I just want to spare us the disappoitnment.

Edited by Mindwalker

2 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

The delay has also signfiicantly weakened the legal case.  Jury members simply won't have a clear recollection of what happened between Nov. 2020 and 6 Jan 2021. 

Why do you say that? Juries are supposed to work exclusively based on evidence and testimonies they hear in court, not based on anything they may or may not remember from the news. They are specifically instructed to ignore anything that isn't part of the trial.

It is the prosecution's job to present the case as if all the jurors are outer-space aliens who have never heard of Donald Trump until the moment they stepped into the courtroom.

Edited by Gorn

Btw, the indictment listed all the names of the Grand Jurors, which is normal in NY but could have been omitted due to unusual circumstances...

Nothing to worry about, I'm sure.

Edited by Mindwalker