US Politics: Hell Yes THEY Were Trying to Overthrow the Government

Zorral

I could totally see him fleeing to Russia if he knew he'd get convicted and wasn't reelected. Or wait... Does Saudi Arabia extradite...?

Ofc I'm still in the "I'll believe it when I see it camp" as far as a conviction is concerned.

Edited by Mindwalker

I just don’t see no-fault divorce being eliminated, because that’s a blade that cuts both ways. How will politicians collect trophy wives if they’re stuck with their high school sweethearts?

It also makes me chortle over conservative complaints that sharia law was going to take root in the US. At least under sharia law men have the absolute right to divorce their wives.

12 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

I could totally see him fleeing to Russia if he knew he'd get convicted and wasn't reelected. Or wait... Does Saudi Arabia extradite...?

Ofc I'm still in the "I'll believe it when I see it camp" as far as a conviction is concerned.

I guess that depends on whether or not he converts to Islam. 

OK… Yup, OK… now I’m horny.

30 minutes ago, JGP said:

Surely you mean contraception. Even conservatives aren't giving up fucking.

*White men fucking*

Tucker ran several segments about how important it is to protect white women (implication being from black and brown men knocking them up). 

7 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

. How will politicians collect trophy wives if they’re stuck with their high school sweethearts?

Clearly you've never learned how they used to do it: put her in a mental institution or have her join a convent -- then you are legally enabled to remarry.  Also, you know, concubinage.  And in Utah, multiple wives.  It's always gotten around in the past (for men) why should it be different now?

49 minutes ago, JGP said:

Maddow was talking about this yesterday-- it actually comes into effect in 8 weeks [low whistle]

edited for the s

The process starts in October, but won't reach full implementation until July next year as I understand it. (link)

The Senate’s Qualification Commission would also start by October 2023 with rules established by April 2024, but it would wait to take complaints until July 2024.

8 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

It also makes me chortle over conservative complaints that sharia law was going to take root in the US. At least under sharia law men have the absolute right to divorce their wives.

It's a sad comedy. The conservatives most against sharia law are also the same people who would be the most likely to support it if they grew up in a Muslim country. And we don't have to guess what side they'd pick if we teleported them back to 1930's Germany.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Am I the only one amazed that Trump's kids remain unindicted?

One of them, at least, is on video record of being excited by the events of Jan. 6.  But Ivanka from the git go was on record telling her dad he shouldn't be doing this.  Don Jr. though, is really stupid, but he wasn't part of the conspiracy.

This isn't about criminal money making, it's about criminal racketeering conspiracy to overturn the election.  Don. Jr. only exercised free speech, he didn't conspire.

1 minute ago, Gertrude said:

The process starts in October, but won't reach full implementation until July next year as I understand it. (link)

Technicalities. Laws can be changed swiftly. Just look at FL and the Don't Say Gay law. They swore up and down it would only apply to young students. Many of us said it would quickly get expanded and it did rapidly. Shit like that is going to become the norm. Fascists don't play by the rules. 

12 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

Nah, the Leg did some last minute shenanigans to push it apparently. It's coming in like 8 weeks. The talking heads spent more than a few minutes discussing the likelihood, and perceptual pros vs cons, of Fani being sacked last night on MSNBC.

Edited by JGP

23 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I just don’t see no-fault divorce being eliminated, because that’s a blade that cuts both ways. How will politicians collect trophy wives if they’re stuck with their high school sweethearts?

Just do it like the good old days and just cheat and/or kill your spouse.

36 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

*White men fucking*

Tucker ran several segments about how important it is to protect white women (implication being from black and brown men knocking them up). 

Christ. Some white men are made out of tissue paper, swear to god.

24 minutes ago, JGP said:

Nah, the Leg did some last minute shenanigans to push it apparently. It's coming in like 8 weeks. The talking heads spent more than a few minutes discussing the likelihood, and perceptual pros vs cons, of Fani being sacked last night on MSNBC.

Oh. My bad then.

1 minute ago, Gertrude said:

Oh. My bad then.

Not at all. I had no idea until I caught the segment. Imagine lots of Georgians don't know either.

Edited by JGP

38 minutes ago, JGP said:

Christ. Some white men are made out of tissue paper, swear to god.

Many men in general are, but white conservative men are a special breed. It's hilarious that they love to call others snowflakes when they're the softest people in the country. 

26 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Many men in general are, but white conservative men are a special breed. It's hilarious that they love to call others snowflakes when they're the softest people in the country. 

They scream about 'the gays' then hire gay prostitutes and spend time on the gay dating apps.  They bellow about 'grooming' and raping and abusing children and so many are caught all the time doing that shit.  They shriek about the sanctity of marriage and... well you get the drift.   It's projection, all the way down.   

Edited by LongRider

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

You should know by now that the laws the elites (including politicians) apply to ordinary people, NOT the elites. 

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

He can't.

By now you should know that the edicts imposed by the elites on ordinary folks do not apply to them (multi-tiered levels of justice). I believe it is the perceived violation of this rule with Trump (attempts, however halfhearted, to hold him accountable)} that is behind much of the far-right sound and fury.

Which reminds me. I have only a hazy idea who this 'Ben Shapiro' character is, but:

Ben Shapiro’s Crusade to Prosecute Presidents Under RICO Comes Back to Haunt Him as He Blasts Trump Charges (msn.com)

15 minutes ago, LongRider said:

They scream about 'the gays' then hire gay prostitutes and spend time on the gay dating apps.  They below about 'grooming' and raping and abusing children and so many are caught all the time doing that shit.  They rant about the sanctity of marriage and... well you get the drift.   It's projection, all the way down.   

I've been seeing reports of studies like these since I was a psych major in college over a decade ago. Homophobic men tend to get more aroused by images of nude men than guys who are indifferent or allies.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/07/17/study-homophobia-homosexual_n_7816390.html

I tend to assume straight racist white men in the US want to sleep with women of color, but likewise have some mental block and/or they've just been turned down by them which just makes them even worse. 

But yes, it's all projection. That's really what conservatism is these days. We can debate the merits of it from yesteryear and while it's mostly bad it's not all bad, however today the ideology really just boils down to hating people who aren't like you and projecting everything wrong about yourself onto others to justify feeling the way you do.