US Politics: Hell Yes THEY Were Trying to Overthrow the Government

Zorral

1 hour ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Umm, what? I feel like there's a novel in that sentence somewhere.  Please elaborate. 

What types of crimes did he commit and also (a question of more specialized interest, I admit), what branch of law did he teach?

J. first started selling weed, and not in small amounts, when he was around 16. He did so his entire life until he died a few years ago in his early 70's. In between he sold cocaine, heroin and acid for decades. Probably some other shit too. He ran every con you could imagine if he thought he could get away with it. He was a crooked landlord, an ambulance chasing lawyer and tax fraud. And he was violent towards women. This is just the sliver I know about him because we barely had a relationship. But he would brag about it and more during the rare times I'd see him after my parents got divorced when I was 10 (he was never around prior to that as well). He was the black sheep from an otherwise wealthy and prominent family. For example, when I was a kid at synagogue an older woman told me he was known as "the bad one." He fought a rabbi when he was a teenager and nearly got into a fight with one on the day of my Bar Mitzvah. Idk exactly what classes he taught, but he was a criminal defense lawyer so it would be in that area of the law.

It's depressing to have this kind of person as a father, if I can even call him that, but my family over the years has helped to compensate for it. It was pretty funny watching them try to find nice things to say about him after he died. 

Watching the political journalist class trip over themselves again and again trying to wrap their brains around the next iteration of ignorant, misplaced white working class anger being manipulated and boosted by capitalists and right wing cranks... Is there anything more predictable?  This is the same stupid, lazy, shit they've been trotting out on repeat since Reagan.  

At least mix it up, and give him a bespoke hammer-fucking-dulcimer or some such shit. 

1 hour ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

Watching the political journalist class trip over themselves again and again trying to wrap their brains around the next iteration of ignorant, misplaced white working class anger being manipulated and boosted by capitalists and right wing cranks... Is there anything more predictable?  This is the same stupid, lazy, shit they've been trotting out on repeat since Reagan.  

At least mix it up, and give him a bespoke hammer-fucking-dulcimer or some such shit. 

By my recollection, at least since. Nixon. When he first ran and lost to Kennedy. Other people's recollections may go back to the Civil war

7 hours ago, Ran said:

. It's politics, not religion,

In this country they are not separate, despite the Constitution, particularly now as you know, as even SCOTUS no longer hides its intention to drop the 'separation of church and state.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I read this morning in the NYT, with great satisfaction:

This Indictment of Trump Does Something Ingenious

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/15/opinion/trump-indictment-georgia-fani-willis.html

.... Ms. Willis ties them all together by levying one charge against Mr. Trump and each of the 18 other defendants under Georgia’s Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization Act, or RICO, accusing Mr. Trump and his co-conspirators of functioning as a criminal gang. ....

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

It’s about making women property.  It’s about shackling women to horrible men.

:angry2:

The brilliant Jamal Bouie writes of this very specifically in the NYT today:

The Limit Does Not Exist for Republicans

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/15/opinion/abortion-republicans-ohio-idaho.html

.... There’s something that feels inevitable in this anti-abortion turn toward political restriction. The attack on bodily autonomy is not general. It is aimed at women. It subjects their bodies to state control and in the process degrades their citizenship. “Without the ability to decide whether and when to have children, women could not — in the way men took for granted — determine how they would live their lives, and how they would contribute to the society around them,” the dissenters in Dobbs wrote. For women to take their place as “full and equal citizens,” they “must have control over their reproductive decisions.”

In other words, the attack on bodily autonomy is an assault on both political equality and reproductive freedom. It creates a class of citizens whose status is lower than that of another group. And once you are in the business of degrading the citizenship of one group of people, it’s easy to extend that pattern of action to the citizenship of other groups. The authoritarian habits of mind that you cultivate diminishing one form of freedom may lead you to view other forms of freedom with equal contempt.

For now, the anti-abortion project is an assault on one form of freedom. But don’t be surprised if, to secure whatever victories it gains, it becomes an attack on all the others.

One of the ways of doing this is making the political 'religious', as we see throughout the US and everywhere the very well-funded evangelicals go, particularly in Africa and South America.  Abortion is against my religion! thus we must be rid of it!

Edited by Zorral

On 8/15/2023 at 3:47 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’ve never gone out of my way to listen to Lynyrd Skynyrd.  Is prompts a deep “meh” from me.

The actual song being referred to is Oliver Anthony's "Rich Men North of Richmond", which is linked and quoted in Smith's article.

Edited by Ran

5 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Anyone up for a TFG reaction Bingo card?

Witch hunt

racism

Fani bad (& racist)

perfect phone call

election interference

leading in the polls

crooked Biden

Hunter Biden

threats against prosecutors, witnesses etc

Hmmm, did I miss anything?

How about this as a thread title: I'm so indicted and I just can't hide it! I'm about to ...

If anyone wants to check the above list against the statement Trump sent out to his fundraising email list, here it is:

Justice and the rule of law are officially DEAD in America.

A left-wing prosecutor – with such extreme anti-Trump bias that EVEN CNN questioned her legitimacy – has INDICTED me despite having committed NO CRIME.

This marks the FOURTH ACT of Election Interference on behalf of the Democrats in an attempt to keep the White House under Crooked Joe’s control and JAIL his single greatest opponent of the 2024 election.

Let me remind you that just days before I announced my 2024 presidential campaign, Crooked Joe declared on national TV that serious efforts would be taken to stop me from being able to “take power” again.

We’re watching those efforts unfold as Crooked Joe’s henchmen follow their boss’ orders by targeting me in baseless witch hunts in an attempt to JAIL ME FOR LIFE as an innocent man.

The left-wing prosecutor orchestrating this latest witch hunt for Crooked Joe was caught “intermix[ing] her political fortunes with this case.”

Her bias was so terrible that she had to be REMOVED from one part of the case because of a “political conflict of interest” of her own creation.

But it’s not just the prosecutor… 

…The FOREPERSON of the GRAND JURY broke a veil of secrecy by going on a media tour with the Fake News, GIGGLING on TV about the idea of serving me with a subpoena and unjustly robbing me of my liberty.

She said it would be “awesome” to have the power to swear me in, and teased possible indictments as if it were a movie trailer.

Even the Fake News called her media circus show a “HORRIBLE IDEA” and a “prosecutor’s nightmare.”

Our once free Republic where citizens were presumed innocent until proven guilty is gone. 

In its place is a Marxist Third World dictatorship led by an incompetent yet crooked tyrant who tries to place your fate in the hands of vengeful and corrupt prosecutors.

Communism has finally reached America’s shores.

But while these certainly are dark times for our country, I will NEVER give up on America.

The more I see these rogue prosecutors weaponize our legal system to criminalize dissent and imprison their political opponents, the stronger my resolve to save our country.

Because I know that if these illegal persecutions succeed, if they’re allowed to set fire to the law, then it will not end with me… They’ll come for YOU.

America is the greatest nation in history – and I WILL NEVER SURRENDER our country to these radical tyrants who seek to destroy it.

Even after 4 sham indictments and a threat of HUNDREDS OF YEARS IN PRISON, I will never abandon our mission, because the fate of our nation hangs in the balance in the 2024 election. It’s not just my freedom on the line, but yours as well – and I will NEVER let them take it from you.

If you are doing poorly right now due to the very sinister people who are ripping our country to shreds, then just hit the back button and go about your day. I seriously mean it! 

But if not, I don’t have to tell you that the stakes of this election have never been greater. Our Republic is hanging by a thread, and America needs you right now.

Donald Trump responded to his latest round of criminal charges by going on Truth Social Tuesday morning to announce an upcoming “major News Conference” at which he would present “A Large, Complex, Detailed but Irrefutable REPORT on the Presidential Election Fraud which took place in Georgia.”

This is it, guys—this report will make all those pesky Georgia charges go away: “Based on the results of this CONCLUSIVE Report, all charges should be dropped against me & others — There will be a complete EXONERATION!”

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/8/15/2187379/-Trump-will-present-CONCLUSIVE-report-exonerating-himself-he-announces

23 minutes ago, Ran said:

The actual song being referred to is Oliver Alexander's "Rich Men North of Richmond", which is linked and quoted in Smith's article.

Aw, man. I was really hoping to get an indepth analysis about the cultural, economic and religious implication of Freebird going on

22 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Donald Trump responded to his latest round of criminal charges by going on Truth Social Tuesday morning to announce an upcoming “major News Conference” at which he would present “A Large, Complex, Detailed but Irrefutable REPORT on the Presidential Election Fraud which took place in Georgia.”

This is it, guys—this report will make all those pesky Georgia charges go away: “Based on the results of this CONCLUSIVE Report, all charges should be dropped against me & others — There will be a complete EXONERATION!”

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/8/15/2187379/-Trump-will-present-CONCLUSIVE-report-exonerating-himself-he-announces

Did he say that the "upcoming major News Conference" would be in two weeks?  That's the usual timeline he gives his major announcements.   :rolleyes:

12 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Did he say that the "upcoming major News Conference" would be in two weeks?  That's the usual timeline he gives his major announcements.   :rolleyes:

Perfect length of time to seem important and easily buried or bumped by any number of other things.

45 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Did he say that the "upcoming major News Conference" would be in two weeks?  That's the usual timeline he gives his major announcements

He said, "11  AM Monday."   However, judging by other documents, reports and even the witnesses, that were to prove, say, Biden's somethingsomethingsomething, the report and witnesses will be lost, unable to to be found. :rofl:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So boyz and grrlz who think hitching your wagon to gangster's star won't get you hung out to dry with millions in legal bills that won't be paid by the gangster, here is this:

https://rudygiulianifreedomfund.com/

BTW this plea is on the Word Press site.  He can't even afford a domain name web site, or anyone to make him one, evidently.  But this is the guy who thinks memory sticks, thumb drives, etc. are 'usbs.' :dunno:

Pathetic all around.

But rich, o so rich, in irony, that the great mobster prosecutor is charged in a RICO case!

Edited by Zorral

1 hour ago, Mindwalker said:

Obviously he has no evidence of fraud, but does he realise that even if he did, that wouldn't exonerate him of the charges against him? Two wrongs don't make a right. Even if the result was fraudulent, corrupt attempts to overturn it would still be a crime.