US Politics: the McCarthy Trials

Kalbear

Well, Summer Lee said she will vote to oust him.

"McCarthy voted to sell out our democracy to a mob of armed white supremacists to become Speaker. He then sold his Speakership to help MAGA extremists criminalize abortion, cut Social Security and Medicare, ban Black history, gut workers’ rights and voting rights, and sell out our children’s safety to the gun lobby and corporate polluters. If we didn’t stop him, he would have sold out the entire country to keep his little gig as Speaker of the chaos caucus.

Why would I – or any Democrat - vote for a Republican speaker who supports Donald Trump and white supremacists? It’s a NO from me"

Edit: as for the thread title. I was still playing around with what to call a US politics thread. I probably would have gone with US Politics: The End of McCarthyism?

Not making any judgement on quality of the title (it's a perfectly fine one). Just wanted to point out the road not taken.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

Looks like dems aren't going to help at all, at least not publicly:

https://www.npr.org/2023/10/03/1203310040/mccarthy-gaetz-speaker-news?utm_medium=JSONFeed&utm_campaign=news&utm_source=press.coop

"We are ready, willing and able to work together with our Republican colleagues but it is on them to join us to move the Congress and the country forward," Jeffries told reporters in the Capitol.

Jeffries also informed members that he and other party leaders will vote to remove McCarthy if and when a vote comes to the House floor.

Also, daaaaamn

"I think Kevin McCarthy is among the most unprincipled, untrustworthy people I ever have encountered in the entirely of my life, and I think he does damage to this institution and our democracy," Virginia Rep. Abigail Spanberger, a moderate Democrats, told reporters.

She pointed out that McCarthy did a television interview on Tuesday saying he didn't need any help from Democrats so she didn't see any reason to help him survive.

Apparently they had a 1-minute open mic night to talk about how much each and every member hated McCarthy. That would have been an incredible pay-per-view event, showing once again how Dems are not in touch with their constituents and aren't great at fundraising

If you lie down with the dogs you wake up with fleas.

I think that's the English language idiom. I feel absolutely free to gloat at McCarthy's demise. He negotiated with the clowns to be the ring master of the GOP circus. You live by the clowns you die by the clowns. McCarthy is a MAGAt endorsed piece of work, he entertained their nonsense like a true believer, so excuse me if I don't buy into this he's better than the alternatives argument.

What happens when you lie down with horses?

But yeah, gloat away. This is high comedy. Democrats shouldn't worry about who is up next if this stunt works. Let everyone see these idiots for who they are. 

22 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Im not gloating over McCarthy's peril till I understand what would replace him if he is ousted?

So this is reasonable, and I'm gonna gloat anyway. The way I see it there are a number of possibilities, and all are reasonably good for democracy.

• He's replaced by another crappy dude. Which is fine, because you can't be really much worse than McCarthy as far as ineffectiveness. Dems will probably be able to do the same thing to that person that they're doing to McCarthy, which is get almost everything they want in exchange for not blowing everything up
  • He's replaced by a far-right dude, in which case they'll then absolutely own the shutdown of the government and all that entails. And politically at least that's usually real bad. 
  • Republicans fail to appoint anyone. I don't know actually how this works, but my suspicion is that the rules require that there exists a house speaker before any other work gets done - which again, politically, is amazing as far as dems are concerned. 

Now, do these suck short term for the US, for our military folks, for anyone needing any kind of government service, and for the general competence of the US? Yep! It's all bad, etc. But that's no different than what we've had with McCarthy. 

Apparently the answer is 'yes':

At the start of a new Congress, those voting to elect the speaker are representatives-elect, as a speaker must be selected before members are sworn in to office; the House of Representatives cannot organize or take other legislative actions until a speaker is elected.[7]

Though hey, there's another awesome possibility - Republicans could elect a speaker of the House that is not, actually, a member of the House! There's nothing in the constitution that requires that. That would be exceedingly weird, but that's Republicans for you. 

Just now, Mindwalker said:

Dem absences could save him... for now. Pelosi is stuck in SF sfter Feinstein's funeral, Cori Bush is home with covid...

Nah, unless some Democrats vote present, he is cooked 

I've literally just opened a bag of potato chips! No popcorn, sadly.

As for electing a speaker who isn't a member... Who would Mattie accept? Alex Jones? The former dude with the many indictments? Both lazy af and incompetent, so go ahead, good luck.

Edited by Mindwalker

Btw, I have no idea what Gaetz' end goal is here. Audition for Florida governor?

ETA: #SantosForSpeaker!

If I was still on twitter, I'd try to get that trending.

Edited by Mindwalker

4 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Btw, I have no idea what Gaetz' end goal is here. Audition for Florida governor?

That's the assumption.

Also I have not had popcorn in like five years. Really wish I had some right now, soaked in butter with a bit of salt.