US Politics: the McCarthy Trials

Kalbear

LOL. People are joking that Pence should step in.

Aaand that's it. Home Alone for Kevin, I guess.

I suspect he might run again, though. Seriously.

Edited by Mindwalker

I know this is nothing but petty schadenfreude, but I am drinking deep on Trump's recent fraud determination. This has to hurt him a lot. It gets to his brand, his reputation, his money, and his future potential to make money. His rage is probably making him even more committed and dangerous, but I am lapping up those salty tears.

12 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Well, he’s gone now, right?

None of Them are ever GONE gone unless a stake is driven through Their heart, head cut off, and body burned.

Nor can They cooperate, and They all hate each other -- almost as much as collectively They hate us. Backstabbing is how They operate.  BUT! never fail to always keep in mind, They do not hate each other as much as They hate us.

Edited by Zorral

17 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Well, he’s gone now, right?

No, he's just not speaker of the house. Much like Pelosi is not minority leader. It doesn't mean you lose your seat in congress.

And he could in theory be elected again, which would make sense from the cuckservative standpoint. 

In other news I wanted to fanboi a bit about Justice Jackson, who had quite a fucking day in court today.

Then, at the conclusion of Prelogar’s initial argument, the final questions came from Jackson.

“Some of the questions that have been asked this morning are — seem to be requiring you to establish whether or not Congress can do certain things,” she told Prelogar. “But I sort of thought that the burden was on them to show that Congress can't set up the agency in this way, and the reason I think that is because of the language of the Appropriations Clause and the way in which it seems to give the legislature the prerogative of the purse. And, here, we have a statute in which the legislature has exercised that.

“So am I right that that's really all you need to say to win?”

With that, the trajectory changed.

Prelogar responded, “I think that's right, Justice Jackson, and I think it actually highlights an important aspect of this case.” The payday lenders, she continued, “are coming in and asking the Article III courts to oversee and superintend Congress's own exercise of its prerogatives over the purse.”

The whole article is awesome but I specifically love highlighting how important it was to ignore the bullshit framing of the 5th circuit and say no, actually, their entire premise is flawed at the core. Having all the other justices jump in like sharks smelling blood sounds glorious

43 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Seems like that would require a modicum of shame, or self worth, or self esteem, or sense of self respect. No way in hell Kev resigns. He's got that need to be humiliated bad...

The reporting I've caught suggests he might actually try and run again. That would be truly bizarre. I wonder who he'll marry his kids off to for the votes. 

I assume Democrats want to be able to try to pass some legislation in the House to help Biden's agenda. If a speaker is absolutely essential for the House to be able to vote, and it's impossible for anyone other than a Republican to be speaker then If the only people running for Speaker are McCarthy (again) and a few people even worse than McCarthy would it be better for Democrats to look to re-elect McCarthy given he's the least worst of a bad bunch? That's assuming a handful of Republicans would also be willing to take McCarthy over anyone else who throws their hat in the ring.

Good riddance.  I fully expect another Grey uniparty squish to end up as speaker.   (I think Grey was the term Charlie Stross used on his blog at least a decade ago to decry the UK uniparty.)

I like to hope the dems made a strategic error here.  Having an emasculated Mccarthy as speaker would have been a small win on the margin for them with no downside.

Who knows though.   Maybe there's enough rino uniparty folks to get a uniparty consensus candidate from either party into the speakership, then throw Ethical Joe and Harris overboard.

Edited by mcbigski

3 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

I like to hope the dems made a strategic error here.  Having an emasculated Mccarthy as speaker would have been a small win on the margin for them with no downside.

He was emasculated somewhere between the second and fifteenth vote to become Speaker in the first place. Everyone knew this day was coming quickly. Well, everyone except McCarthy because he's a narcissistic dipshit who thought he could make promises he couldn't keep and get away with it. 

11 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Good riddance.  I fully expect another Grey uniparty squish to end up as speaker.   (I think Grey was the term Charlie Stross used on his blog at least a decade ago to decry the UK uniparty.)

Who knows though.   Maybe there's enough rino uniparty folks to get a uniparty consensus candidate from either party into the speakership, then throw Ethical Joe and Harris overboard.

Is "uniparty" the new newspeak for "people who care about boring ol' governance/ people not in the clown car of chaos?"

12 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Big fan of the oxymoronicly named “freedom caucus”… are you?

1 minute ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

Is "uniparty" the new newspeak for "people who care about boring ol' governance/ people not in the clown car of chaos?"

Yes.  Those who dislike the “Uniparty” are very fond of Pro-Wrestling and “reality television” and want it baked into methods of governance.

:stillsick:

At this point, I am starting to wonder...

Given his ego, and his utterly petty and vindictive personality...I am wondering if Trump might not be stupid enough to do something really dramatically stupid on his way out of NYC - like have some flunkies set fire to the Trump Tower ('if I can't have it, no one can!') while attempting to collect on the insurance.

Yes, it is both implausible and stupid...but then again, this is Trump, so...?